“Liftgate Ajar” warning light NOT coming on

I use my car to drive for Uber and Lyft. Recently, at the airport, I helped a passenger put their luggage into the cargo area, then used the button inside on the left panel to close the liftgate, as I always do. I got in the car and started to drive, until my passenger told me that the liftgate was still open! This has happened 4 different times now in the last 2 weeks. The car was in park when I opened the liftgate and when I closed it (or so I thought). When I put it into Drive, I should have gotten a warning light on the instrument panel, saying Liftgate Ajar, but there was nothing.

I’m assuming that there’s a sensor that can be replaced, rather than replacing the latch or any other component, correct? I haven’t seen a sensor in any of the diagrams of the liftgate. Does anyone know where it would be?

Thanks for your help!

Switches in the Liftgate Latch indicate the latched/unlatched condition to the Rear Gate Trunk Module (RTGM), which communicates an Ajar condition to the Body Control Module (BCM), which sets the Liftgate Ajar warning in the gauge cluster Message Center and sounds the warning chime.

Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) may exist in your Edge's electronic modules which specify diagnostic procedures to assess whether wiring, the latch assembly, or the RTGM may be causing the problem.

Do you have code-scanning/Forscan capability and a multi-meter to perform wiring and module diagnostics -- or -- are you likely to turn this job over to a dealership technician?

If you're technically capable, or have a friend/relative who is, I can provide wiring diagrams, electrical connector details, module locations, removal & installation procedures for involved components, and the Pinpoint Test diagnostic guidance -- after you tell us your Edge's model year.

Otherwise, a dealership technician can easily perform the diagnostics and make certain the faulty component is repaired or replaced.

Good luck!

On 8/10/2022 at 6:54 PM, Haz said:

Switches in the Liftgate Latch indicate the latched/unlatched condition to the Rear Gate Trunk Module (RTGM), which communicates an Ajar condition to the Body Control Module (BCM), which sets the Liftgate Ajar warning in the gauge cluster Message Center and sounds the warning chime.

Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) may exist in your Edge's electronic modules which specify diagnostic procedures to assess whether wiring, the latch assembly, or the RTGM may be causing the problem.

Do you have code-scanning/Forscan capability and a multi-meter to perform wiring and module diagnostics -- or -- are you likely to turn this job over to a dealership technician?

If you're technically capable, or have a friend/relative who is, I can provide wiring diagrams, electrical connector details, module locations, removal & installation procedures for involved components, and the Pinpoint Test diagnostic guidance -- after you tell us your Edge's model year.

Otherwise, a dealership technician can easily perform the diagnostics and make certain the faulty component is repaired or replaced.

Good luck!

Thank you, Haz. I’ve worked on my own cars for years (what’s the worst that could happen, right? ?) so I’m willing to give it a shot. 

And I’m sorry I didn’t include the year as I thought it showed up in my profile. It’s a 2013 Limited.

On 8/12/2022 at 8:16 PM, enigma-2 said:

This YouTube video may be of help

Great video, enigma-2, thank you!

But I have a feeling that my problem is in the wiring because this is the 5th vehicle that I’ve owned where I’ve had this same issue, and I believe that my ex has done something to the locking mechanism in order to get in and out of the vehicle to move/access whatever tracking device he put inside without tripping the alarm. All of the wiring inside the vehicle has now been wrapped in new electrical tape. Every time I drive the car, there’s a different rattle or vibration that will last a day, then it’s gone and a new rattle or vibration appears in a different area inside the car.

Thanks again!

Below are PDF download links to relevant sections from the 2013 Edge Workshop Manual...

Power Liftgate - Diagnosis and Testing Introduction & Symptom-DTC Charts - 2013 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Pinpoint Test C - The Power Liftgate Stops in Secondary Latch Position (Does Not Pull into Primary Latch Position).pdf

LIFTGATE -TRUNK MODULE (LTM) Wiring Connector C4174B Details.pdf

LIFTGATE -TRUNK MODULE (LTM) Wiring Connector C4174B Location Illustration - 2013 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

LIFTGATE LATCH-UNLATCH ASSEMBLY Wiring Connector C4339 Details - 2013 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

LIFTGATE LATCH-UNLATCH ASSEMBLY Wiring Connector C4339 Location Illustration - 2013 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Power Liftgate Wiring Diagram - Page 1 - 2013 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Power Liftgate Wiring Diagram - Page 2 - 2013 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Power Liftgate Wiring Diagram - Page 3 - 2013 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Power Liftgate Wiring Diagram - Page 4 - 2013 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Power Liftgate Wiring Diagram - Page 5 - 2013 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Power Liftgate Initialization - General Procedures - 2013 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Liftgate Trim Panel - Removal and Installation - 2013 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Power Liftgate Latch - Removal and Installation - 2013 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Scuff Plate Trim Panel — Rear - Removal and Installation - 2013 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Quarter Trim Panel - Removal and Installation - 2013 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Liftgate-Trunk Module (LTM) - Removal and Installation - 2013 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Power Liftgate Motor - Removal and Installation - 2013 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

If your scan tool or Forscan reveals DTCs other than those shown in Pinpoint Test C, let me know and I'll provide the appropriate Pinpoint Test and wiring connector info.

Good luck!

Edited by Haz