How to remove rear tail lights on Ford Edge

I couldn't find any instructions on how to pull the rear tail light assemblies. So, here are some.

Mine is a 2007 Edge, but the newer ones are the same.

Tools needed;

5/16 nut driver or ratchet

silicone spray

3" PLASTIC putty knife

• For the sake of this discussion, we are working on the RIGHT taillight, the passenger side.
  • Open the hatch back.
  • Look on the left edge of the tail light assembly, under where the hatchback closes.
  • Find the two 5/16 screws.
  • Remove them.
  • Get out your plastic putty knife.
  • Insert it between the body panel and the light, in the FRONT edge of the light assembly.
  • Insert it in the center, vertically. There is a pin at the top and a pin at the bottom (that you cannot see) and you want to get it inserted in between these pins.
  • It should insert easily.
  • Insert the putty knife about 1 - 2 inches.
  • Now, position yourself directly behind the light.
  • Grab the left side of the module (where the two screws were) with your left hand.
  • Grab the putty knife with your right hand.
  • Pull rearwards with both, with even pressure.
  • I had good luck with a gentle "tugging" motion on the putty knife.
  • Make sure you are well braced with good footing; when it releases you don't want to fall over and rip out the wiring harness or damage the light.
  • It will "POP" out and be sitting loosely in the light opening.
  • Replace whatever bulbs needed.
  • Spray the shiny silver metal pins that held the front into the body panel with silicone, to make it easier to pull them in the future.
  • I have seen suggestions to use wrapped screwdrivers, etc., but this method described worked extremely well. I pulled them both in about 1 minute.
  • In my vehicle, the signal light bases on the wiring harness were extremely discolored and looked like they were heat damaged. I don't know if this is a known issue or not.
  • Pictures coming soon.
  • Let me know if this helps you out, or if you have any questions.

• Like 1

I always have been able to remove them only removing the screws, and pulling it, be carefull while using the knives with the paint, or use plastic tools...it is a little tricky but you can achieve it by pulling it only, the tailight is only attached to the body by the two screws and the guide pins on the outside of the lens...

• 9 months later...
I couldn't find any instructions on how to pull the rear tail light assemblies. So, here are some.

Tools needed;

silicone spray

3" PLASTIC putty knife

• For the sake of this discussion, we are working on the RIGHT taillight, the passenger side.
  • Open the hatch back.
  • Look on the left edge of the tail light assembly, under where the hatchback closes.
  • Remove them.
  • Insert it between the body panel and the light, in the FRONT edge of the light assembly.
  • Insert it in the center, vertically. There is a pin at the top and a pin at the bottom (that you cannot see) and you want to get it inserted in between these pins.
  • Grab the left side of the module (where the two screws were) with your left hand.
  • Make sure you are well braced with good footing; when it releases you don't want to fall over and rip out the wiring harness or damage the light.
  • Spray the shiny silver metal pins that held the front into the body panel with silicone, to make it easier to pull them in the future.
  • I have seen suggestions to use wrapped screwdrivers, etc., but this method described worked extremely well. I pulled them both in about 1 minute.
  • In my vehicle, the signal light bases on the wiring harness were extremely discolored and looked like they were heat damaged. I don't know if this is a known issue or not.
  • Pictures coming soon.

I have had to replace bulbs on both sides now and I don't understand why they made it so difficult (can be hard to bull out straight and not scratch the f$%?*&" paint). In Europe we design them to be serviced from inside the trunk, just remove a panel (no tools necessary) and you can see the rear of the lamp "can be done on the side of a road without the need of any tools. This Edge is like cars in Europe were 20 years ago except much bigger!

Tools needed;

silicone spray

3" PLASTIC putty knife

• Open the hatch back.
  • Remove them.
  • Pictures coming soon.

Mine looked burned as well. Troubling!

• 7 months later...

Just to clarify, did u separate the tail light? Im looking to paint the chrome part inside the light to black, like the sport. However im worried about breaking the light and not sure what i could seal it back with once im done. Do you guys have any suggestions?

Just to clarify, did u separate the tail light? Im looking to paint the chrome part inside the light to black, like the sport. However im worried about breaking the light and not sure what i could seal it back with once im done. Do you guys have any suggestions?

I did not actually seperate the plastic light assembly. I think that could be done, in theory, by cutting it apart somehow (Dremel?) and then epoxy the thing back together afterwards. If you do this, you ought to post some pictures, it sounds like an interesting idea.

JL

I did not actually seperate the plastic light assembly. I think that could be done, in theory, by cutting it apart somehow (Dremel?) and then epoxy the thing back together afterwards. If you do this, you ought to post some pictures, it sounds like an interesting idea.

JL

I went to a body shop, they tried separating the light but they feared it was gonna break, so instead of taking the risk, we decided to just order the sport lights and sell the factory ones.