2010 Edge Replaced Radio/Stereo w/Same

Hello, 

Long time lurker, now new to the forum.

I have a 2010 Edge that had a problem radio (stock Ford) causing a parasitic drain on my battery.

I had the stock Ford radio replaced with another same stock Ford radio identical to the bad one which resolved the parasitic drain but now the audio controls on the right side of my steering wheel don't work.

I am wondering how to get that functionality back. I disconnected the battery as someone suggested however that made no difference.

Looking for suggestions, Thanks.

RedMeatMike: Welcome to the Forum!

CARR142 is correct that the As-Built configuration data of the radio/Audio Front Control Module (ACM) that was removed from your Edge must be programmed into the replacement ACM.  If the original ACM's configuration was not saved before the replacement ACM was installed, the Edge's original As-Built data file can be easily obtained and Forscan can be used to program the replacement ACM's 727-xxx-xxx module address configuration.

Have you gone back to the shop that installed the replacement ACM for you, to report the loss of steering wheel controls after they completed the job? 

Running the ACM Self-Diagnostic procedure may provide useful information toward resolving the steering wheel controls issue, so follow the directions in the below-linked PDF document...

Download link> Audio Control Module (ACM) Self-Diagnostic Mode - 2010 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Please report back on the results -- and also -- please include which type of radio/ACM and steering wheel controls your Edge is equipped with from among the following descriptions from the 2010 Edge Workshop Manual...

The vehicle is equipped with one of the following ACMs :

• AM/FM single CD
    • Standard for SE trim
  • AM/FM 6-CD changer
    • Available with base, premium Edge audio systems
  • Navigation
    • AM/FM single CD/DVD
    • Built-in satellite radio receiver
    • Voice-activation
    • Touchscreen display

The following audio systems are available:

• Base — Edge
    • AM/FM single CD or AM/FM 6-CD changer ACM
    • One speaker in each door
  • Premium I — Edge
    • AM/FM 6-CD changer or navigation ACM
    • External audio amplifier (with navigation only)
    • One 2-way speaker in each door, subwoofer in the RH rear quarter
  • Premium II — Edge
    • AM/FM 6-CD changer or navigation ACM
    • External audio amplifier (with navigation only)
    • One mid-woofer in each front door, one 2-way speaker in each rear door, 2 A-pillar speakers, subwoofer in the RH rear quarter

All audio systems include the following features:

• Speed sensitive volume
  • Accessory delay
  • Steering wheel controls
  • MP3 capability
  • Satellite-ready
  • Audio input jack

The following options are available:

• Satellite radio
  • SYNC system
    • Optional on Edge

There are 4 different steering wheel controls configurations:

• Non-navigation, without the SYNC system
    • VOL-, VOL+, SEEK-, SEEK+, MEDIA
  • Non-navigation, with the SYNC system
    • VOL-, VOL+, SEEK-, SEEK+, VOICE, MEDIA, PHONE, OK
  • Navigation, without the SYNC system
    • VOL-, VOL+, SEEK-, SEEK+, VOICE, MEDIA
  • Navigation, with the SYNC system
    • VOL-, VOL+, SEEK-, SEEK+, VOICE, MEDIA, PHONE

The VOL-, VOL+, SEEK-, SEEK+, and MEDIA buttons are always wired to the Audio Control Module (ACM). Voltage is sent from the ACM to the steering wheel controls, and the ACM grounds the reference voltage.

For vehicles equipped with navigation, but not the SYNC system, the VOICE button is wired to the ACM. All of the steering wheel controls share the same signal return circuit. As a result, a failure in the return circuit causes all steering wheel controls to be inoperative.

For vehicles equipped with the SYNC system, the VOICE (an icon of someone speaking), PHONE (an icon of a phone with an up and down arrow), and OK buttons are wired directly to the Accessory Protocol Interface Module (APIM) unless the vehicle is equipped with navigation, in which case there is no OK button, and the VOICE and PHONE buttons are wired to the ACM. Voltage is sent from the APIM (or ACM if equipped with navigation) to the steering wheel controls, and the APIM (or ACM if equipped with navigation) grounds the reference voltage.

When a switch is pressed, the voltage is routed through a specific resistor value for each function. The ACM (or APIM) then uses the reference voltage to determine which control input function has been selected.

Good luck!

Edited by Haz
  • Like 3

Thank you Carr142, and Haz for the additional detail, that's great. I have been looking at the Forscan and I'll probably download that and purchase the USB interface and attempt resolving it myself. I haven't contacted the shop that did the repair but perhaps I will if necessary.

The radio is just the AM/FM with single CD. SYNC, but no touch screen just green LED's.

Thanks again -  I'll post back once it's resolved.

• Like 1

While you're waiting for your USB-wired OBDII dataport adapter, I decided to survey six 2010 Edge SE vehicles' Audio Control Module (ACM) As-Built programming values to determine if Steering Wheel Radio Controls appear to be additionally programmed like the optional installation(s) of SYNC Gen 1 and/or Sirius satellite radio reception.

Within VIN-specific Historical Vehicle Bill of Materials (HVBoM) reports, I found two different installed part numbers for AM/FM single CD/MP3 Satellite Capable ACMs: 

Job 1 vehicles -  Installed Part # 9T4T18C869AB with Service/Replacement Part #9T4Z18C869A;

Job 2 (change occurred sometime between January 2010 & April 2010) vehicles - Installed Part # AT4T18C869AB with Service/Replacement 

Part #AT4Z18C869AA;

As expected, recognizable programming differences exist in ACMs, depending upon if SYNC Gen 1, or Sirius satellite radio reception, or both of these options were factory-installed. And while 'Job 1' and 'Job 2' ACM part numbers are different, the programming values used in them for these options are identical.

Relating to Steering Wheel Radio Controls, surprisingly, I found no ACM programming differences between vehicles equipped without the steering wheel controls (Rapid Spec 100A) versus those equipped with the steering wheel controls (Rapid Spec 101A).

This causes me concern, since everything requiring programming in the newly installed ACM is working properly -- except for the steering wheel radio controls, which should be plug-and-play without any added programming.

Below are the wiring diagram and electrical connector details for the Steering Wheel Radio Control-to-ACM circuits, just in case you or the ACM Installer Shop need to do circuit diagnostics. It is possible that a pin in the ACM connector has been pushed out or damaged, causing the redundant controls to be inoperative.  Or the controls or the ACM may be faulty...

789107594_SteeringWheelRightSideControlsWiringDiagram-w-SYNCwo-NAV-2010EdgeWorkshopManual.thumb.jpg.07d28390e28c595e9a6b6995b2b4dc9c.jpg

2014267234_AudioControlModule(ACM)ConnectorC240ADetailswRedHighlights-2010EdgeWorkshopManual.thumb.jpg.60c2acc0b578b0ae2ab534683255762a.jpg

Document download links>

Steering Wheel Right Side Controls Wiring Diagram - w-SYNC wo-NAV - 2010 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Audio Control Module (ACM) Connector C240A Details - 2010 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Audio Control Module (ACM) - Removal and Installation - 2010 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Clockspring Connector C218A Details - 2010 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Clockspring Connector C218A Location Illustration - 2010 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Steering Wheel Controls - Removal and Installation - 2010 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Information and Entertainment System - Description and Operation - 2010 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Module Configuration - Diagnosis and Testing - 2010 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Pinpoint Test F - Steering Wheel Controls Inoperative or Not operating Correctly - 2010 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

If any other Connector information is needed, just let me know and I will provide it.

Good luck!

Edited by Haz
  • Like 1

This is great! Thank you again for the detailed reply, the help is much appreciated.

Since my last post I did receive the USB cable and I downloaded and licensed Forscan for $13 since I have a 2018 Edge as well as the 2010.

I ran the diags on the ACM and found no problem I also loaded (downloaded) the "as built" configuration to the ACM, however that made no difference. 

I still have the old radio I think what I'll do tomorrow is I will remove the $300 junk yard radio (replacement) and install the original radio and see if I get the controls back. 

I can look at the connectors, wiring and anything the shop might have touched at that time.

• Like 1

I swapped radio's and the steering wheel controls function fine with my old radio. I looked at the pins on the back of the replacement radio and none are bent or broken.

I unplugged and plugged back in with no change. So it looks like something with the replacement radio is amiss. 

The original radio was manufactured 2010 (AT4T-18C869-AB) the replacement radio is older and manufactured in 2008 (8T4T-18C869-AC), other than that they appear identical.

Do you think that a reprogram with the original as built file will correct it?

Thanks again for your help.

Edited by RedMeatMike
  • Like 1

Your Edge's VIN shows these As-Built values for its ACM...

ACM 727-01-01 0C00 907A 68AE  
ACM 727-01-02 0031      
ACM 727-02-01 5B8C  

Would't hurt to look at the installed 2008 ACM and see if the values match, or, to modify them to these values to determine if it corrects the steering wheel radio controls malfunction.

Good luck!

• Like 2

I too have the parasitic drain on my battery. I too replaced stock radio with stock radio. I thru old radio away. Do I need to reprogram ACM?  This is new to me but am technically inclined. I will get Forscan and software.

I have a 2008 Edge without Nav, with SYNC and subwoofer.

Welcome to the Forum!

I'd say as long as the ACM is functioning with the redundant Steering Wheel Radio Controls -- if you Edge has them -- and the ACM center-stack face controls operate properly for radio & SYNC functions, then you shouldn't have to reprogram the replacement ACM, which if was previously used in another Edge, likely came from vehicle equipped identically to your Edge, with matching As-Built ACM programming.

If an ACM-related feature isn't working correctly, then you may want to invest in a wired-or-Bluetooth OBDII dataport adapter and perhaps use a no-cost temporary Forscan license to view and if needed, modify the replacement ACM's As-Built programming.

For your future reference on parasitic battery drain diagnosis...

Document download link> Parasitic Battery Drain Job Aid.pdf

Good luck!

Edited by Haz
  • Like 1