Keypad entry spuratic

Eric1981

07 Edge. Lately wife says keypad acting up. Says she puts in the code and doesn't unlock right away, pushes random buttons after and it unlocks. We need to figure this out, as it's the only way into the car. Key doesn't work in door, no key fob either. She bought this car while we were separated...and we know nothing about the history. Anyone have any clues or tips? Besides a rag in the gas tank, cuz that's about the next step, nothing but problems with this thing...can certainly tell why it was traded in and bought off the budget lot.

The older external button type can eventually break, I had one on my 2000 Grand Marquis do this, at the worse possible time. It froze, and when trying to unlock it (with the key in it, running) it broke.

Personally while I am a frequent user of the keypad still, I have found I can't rely on it. It is a convenience and rarely what I would consider a daily use thing.

So you have a regular plain PATS key, not the IKT (Integrated Keyhead Transmitter) key with the fob in the head? You can easily buy just a fob and easily program it in. I did that with my 2012 Fusion that has the IKT, I wanted a smaller key/fob combo. $5-$7 for a pair, and the steps to program them are easy (but probably not in your owners manual since the IKT programs the RKE stuff when you program PATS).

This is my current key lineup for my 2012 Fusion:

48655166061_0fafd5c0d9_b.jpg

Edited by dabangsta

2 hours ago, dabangsta said:

The older external button type can eventually break, I had one on my 2000 Grand Marquis do this, at the worse possible time. It froze, and when trying to unlock it (with the key in it, running) it broke.

This is my current key lineup for my 2012 Fusion:

Thank you for the reply!!! The key looks like the far right. but no fob. Is that easy to get a fob and program it?

Edited by 1004ron

Search eBay for your year and model, the same 3 button remote is used by a number of the same generation Fords (3 button like the trucks, hatched vehicles like the Focus). Should be around $5-$7 for a pair. Make sure it isn't just the shell/case!

I bought the key and remote combo, but I find many of the fobs only (but only in pairs for cheap).

To program it you turn the key from off to run 8 times, the door locks cycle indicating programming mode, then you press a button on the remote(s), turn the key to off, and any remotes you just programmed in will lock/unlock/panic alert.

Edited by dabangsta

3 hours ago, dabangsta said:

Search eBay for your year and model, the same 3 button remote is used by a number of the same generation Fords (3 button like the trucks, hatched vehicles like the Focus). Should be around $5-$7 for a pair. Make sure it isn't just the shell/case!

I bought the key and remote combo, but I find many of the fobs only (but only in pairs for cheap).

To program it you turn the key from off to run 8 times, the door locks cycle indicating programming mode, then you press a button on the remote(s), turn the key to off, and any remotes you just programmed in will lock/unlock/panic alert.

AWESOME, Thank you SOO much!!

If it was me, and I was in this situation, I personally would also buy the door lock cylinder kit that you can setup to match your existing key. I haven't done one in awhile, and it wasn't the easiest thing for a shaky person to do, but Standard Motor Products sells a kit with a new cylinder, 4 sets of the 5 possible key positions, and hopefully detailed instructions on how to do it. I think it is possible to do with a torx T20 bit as the only tool, I don't think the existing lock cylinder needs a working key to be removed (like the ignition cylinder). I think the Ford kit is also like that, and isn't a non PATS key matching pair, but I get conflicting pictures looking up the part number for it.

I would go bonkers not having a physical key that worked to open up my vehicle. I would try to match the existing key that works in the ignition instead of adding another key to my ring, but for the longest time my older Fords used a different key for the door/trunk than the ignition (round head for one, square for the other) which I always thought was weird.

17 hours ago, dabangsta said:

If it was me, and I was in this situation, I personally would also buy the door lock cylinder kit that you can setup to match your existing key. I haven't done one in awhile, and it wasn't the easiest thing for a shaky person to do, but Standard Motor Products sells a kit with a new cylinder, 4 sets of the 5 possible key positions, and hopefully detailed instructions on how to do it. I think it is possible to do with a torx T20 bit as the only tool, I don't think the existing lock cylinder needs a working key to be removed (like the ignition cylinder). I think the Ford kit is also like that, and isn't a non PATS key matching pair, but I get conflicting pictures looking up the part number for it.

I would go bonkers not having a physical key that worked to open up my vehicle. I would try to match the existing key that works in the ignition instead of adding another key to my ring, but for the longest time my older Fords used a different key for the door/trunk than the ignition (round head for one, square for the other) which I always thought was weird.

I don't recall Fords having separate keys. I remember GM did for a LONG time, My dad had a 71 Cuda that had two keys, but a 70 Charger that didn't. We had a 78 F150 that was 1 key, and my dad had A LOT of Aerostars and Windstars as company vehicles that were single key. I appreciate the advice, I'll definitely look into it, but I'm not sure how long we plan to keep this car, so not sure how much money I want to put into it at this point.

The keys for my 1982 F-150 (note that the blade is a mirror image/opposite and each one only fits in the slot designed for it):

52619718660_813e5bc351_b.jpg

Same with my 79 Zephyr, 81 Fairmont, 80 Fairmont, and one of my Mustangs, it was the earliest vehicle I remember with that style key.

Yes, I will stop now, just thought I would throw out more better ideas on not getting into a state where you might be locked out at a bad time. I don't compute short term ownership.

21 hours ago, dabangsta said:

The keys for my 1982 F-150 (note that the blade is a mirror image/opposite and each one only fits in the slot designed for it):

52619718660_813e5bc351_b.jpg

Same with my 79 Zephyr, 81 Fairmont, 80 Fairmont, and one of my Mustangs, it was the earliest vehicle I remember with that style key.

Yes, I will stop now, just thought I would throw out more better ideas on not getting into a state where you might be locked out at a bad time. I don't compute short term ownership.

Well, as far as short term ownership, I usually don't either. But she blew the motor in her car right when we separated, and this is something her grandpa helped her buy, was literally the only thing available at the time that had enough space for the kids and their all their gear that was in the price range, and it's a HUGE POS. I've done nothing but work on it since we got back to speaking terms. We even rekindled, sold this to her friend and she drove my Durango that I bought to run kids around as to not have to unload my quad cab pickup to fit kids in the back seat. But we split up and her friend wasn't making payments like agreed, so she took it back, since I took my Durango back...kinda, she wrecked it and I just refused to fix it cuz we weren't on good terms. She experienced the dating world again and came running back, and now this POS is my headache yet again. So I might be fixing just enough to get it sold and let her drive the Durango again, until I get the trans rebuilt (about a 4 yr project now) on her Grand Cherokee, then let her take that back.