P0012, p0014, p0420

mecody21

Hi, so my wife's 2017 2.0 ecoboost had the problem with the purge valve and I took care of that. But after awhile it started dying at idle occasionally, and occasionally while it misses while accelerating. I've cleared the codes trying to see when it throws the codes and have noticed it misses and throws the codes when I turn the a/c on. P0012, p0014, p0420 

Maybe from the increased load from the AC, otherwise they should only be a coincidence.

Check your oil level, low can affect vvt also if you are losing oil into the exhaust it can throw a p0420 code, and coolant level, possible infamous head gasket issue. If it's good, then likely vvt solenoid or timing issue. Slim chance it's spark plugs also.

On 1/24/2023 at 9:21 PM, mecody21 said:

Hi, so my wife's 2017 2.0 ecoboost had the problem with the purge valve and I took care of that. But after awhile it started dying at idle occasionally, and occasionally while it misses while accelerating. I've cleared the codes trying to see when it throws the codes and have noticed it misses and throws the codes when I turn the a/c on. P0012, p0014, p0420 

What's the mileage and service history?

The first two codes are related to the Variable Valve Timing and typical of engines that haven't been maintained - infrequent oil changes.

The third code indicates a poor CAT performance, which would be premature for a 2017 so could be oil burning that lead to that.