MKX catches fire from rear

computerguy

Not sure if burnt tail lights is the issue, but an MKX caught on fire as it was being driven down the road in Georgia. Fire started from the rear.

Go to http://www.walb.com/ and look for "Driver thanks rescuers after surviving burning car" under news headlines or check the video section.

I'll post back if I find more info.

Couldn't find it. What day was it posted?

Edited by tpm419419

Electrical circuits (including most of the ones added by installers for trailer wiring, etc.) are fused, so I doubt it was tail lamps. More likely than not, it was caused by some kind of accident - fuel tank rupture, brake line rupture, etc. or something the driver was carrying inside the vehicle. You would be surprised how many times somebody thought they tossed a cigarette butt out the window and it landed back inside the vehicle. Not a good situation if you are carrying flammables.

We may never hear the outcome of this one, but I would not worry that we have a design flaw that could cause an on board fire.

Electrical circuits (including most of the ones added by installers for trailer wiring, etc.) are fused, so I doubt it was tail lamps. More likely than not, it was caused by some kind of accident - fuel tank rupture, brake line rupture, etc. or something the driver was carrying inside the vehicle. You would be surprised how many times somebody thought they tossed a cigarette butt out the window and it landed back inside the vehicle. Not a good situation if you are carrying flammables.

We may never hear the outcome of this one, but I would not worry that we have a design flaw that could cause an on board fire.

Ford has recalled 142 2008 AWD MKX/Edge's for a fuel tank weld problem that could result in a fire.....google it for more info

• 9 months later...

Check this Forum for melted tail light sockets. There are pictures.

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/index.php?showtopic=2594

Edited by LFJ2025