auto high beams, sometimes doesn't show high beam indicator

2019 SEL (but all have auto high beams), when I first got it, when the auto high beam headlamps would go on the blue high beam indicator would also. Now the best indicator (besides the not always as obvious longer range illumination...) is the fog light indicator turns off.

I have played around with manually selecting high beams, turning off auto high beams, and back on, but it still doesn't turn on the blue indicator on the dash.

I find I turn off auto high beams because it frequently turns them on and blinds people at a 90 degree angle to my travel (like at a stop sign or even at stop light), and it tends to go on and off frequently with the red reflectors on the ground, so people think I am flashing them, with my already obnoxiously bright low beams and turning on and off my fog lights.

From the 2019 Workshop Manual...

The LH - RH Turn Signal Or High Beam Indicator Is Never or Always On

Normal Operation and Fault Conditions

See LH - RH Turn Signal Indicator or High Beam Indicator Indicator.

REFER to: Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) - System Operation and Component Description (413-01 Instrumentation, Message Center and Warning Chimes, Description and Operation).

If the turn indication data or high beam status message is missing for less than 5 seconds, the IPC defaults the turn signal or high beam indicator to its last indication state (on or off), based upon the last message received.

If the turn indication data or high beam status message is missing for 5 seconds or longer, the IPC defaults the turn signal or high beam indicator off.

Possible Sources

• Turn signal concern
  • High beam concern
  • Communication concern
  • BCM concern
  • GWM concern
  • IPC

PINPOINT TEST S: THE LH (LEFT-HAND) - RH (RIGHT-HAND) TURN SIGNAL OR HIGH BEAM INDICATOR IS NEVER OR ALWAYS ON
S1 DETERMINE THE FAULT CONDITION
  • Ignition ON.
  • Check the operation of the high beams or turn signals.

Do the high beams or turn signals operate correctly?

Yes GO to S2
No For high beams,
REFER to: Headlamps (417-01 Exterior Lighting, Diagnosis and Testing).

For turn signals,
REFER to: Turn Signal and Hazard Lamps (417-01 Exterior Lighting, Diagnosis and Testing).

S2 CHECK THE GWM (GATEWAY MODULE A) DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES (DTCS)
  • Using a diagnostic scan tool, check the GWM Continuous Memory Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs).

Are any Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) recorded?

Yes
REFER to: Communications Network (418-00 Module Communications Network, Diagnosis and Testing).
No GO to S3

S3 PERFORM THE IPC (INSTRUMENT PANEL CLUSTER) SELF-TEST
  • Using a diagnostic scan tool, perform the IPC self-test.

Are any Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) recorded?

Yes REFER to DTC Chart: IPC in this section.
No For the LH or RH turn indicator, GO to S4
For the high beam indicator, GO to S5

S4 CHECK THE LH (LEFT-HAND) AND RH (RIGHT-HAND) TURN INDICATOR OPERATION USING A DIAGNOSTIC SCAN TOOL
  • Using a diagnostic scan tool, view the IPC Parameter Identifications (PIDs).
  • Select the IPC RH or LH turn signal indicator (RH_TURN_L) or (LH_TURN_L) PID .
  • Command the RH or LH turn signal indicator on and off while observing the RH or LH turn signal indicator.

Does the RH or LH turn signal indicator illuminate when commanded on and turn off when commanded off?

Yes DIAGNOSE all BCM Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs).
REFER to: Body Control Module (BCM) (419-10 Multifunction Electronic Modules, Diagnosis and Testing).
No
INTDIAG.GIF   Click here to access Guided Routine (IPC).

S5 CHECK THE HIGH BEAM INDICATOR OPERATION USING A DIAGNOSTIC SCAN TOOL
  • Using a diagnostic scan tool, view the IPC Parameter Identifications (PIDs).
  • Select the IPC high beam indicator (HIGH_BEAM) PID .
  • Command the high beam indicator on and off while observing the high beam indicator.

Does the high beam indicator illuminate when commanded on and turn off when commanded off?

Yes DIAGNOSE all BCM Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs).
REFER to: Body Control Module (BCM) (419-10 Multifunction Electronic Modules, Diagnosis and Testing).
No
INTDIAG.GIF   Click here to access Guided Routine (IPC).

Guided Routine (IPC) download link> Pinpoint Test A - IPC Hardware Test - 2019 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Additional document download link> Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) - System Operation and Component Description - 2019 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Let me know if you need any Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) diagnostics.

Good luck!

• Like 1