Edge Snow a No-Go

Ky Bob

Just curious: What do mean exactly by "driving in snow"? No front wheel drive vehicle is meant for ATV style driving. Did you purchase the Edge as a commuter vehicle in the snow belt? If so, the dealer should have sold you an AWD.

As if a dealer would actually steer you into the "right" vehicle rather than what they have in stock and what they can make the most profit on. Just the thoughts of someone that spent his early 20s selling Fords...

Just curious: What do mean exactly by "driving in snow"?

Driving in snow could also be called driving with snow on the highways.

No front wheel drive vehicle is meant for ATV style driving.

I did not buy it to be used as a ATV.

Edited by Ky Bob

I have a FWD 2007 and have been through two snowy winters. The Continentals and (from what I have heard) Hankook tires are lousy in the snow.

Since I replaced them at 20K with Pirelli P6 Four Seasons tires and they are great in the 6 to 10 inch 'dustings' we get up here in the wild north.

Even with all the snow, I felt AWD wasn't worth the problems (PTU) and the mileage issues.

Replace the factory skins and see the difference.

I have a FWD 2007 and have been through two snowy winters. The Continentals and (from what I have heard) Hankook tires are lousy in the snow.

Since I replaced them at 20K with Pirelli P6 Four Seasons tires and they are great in the 6 to 10 inch 'dustings' we get up here in the wild north.

Even with all the snow, I felt AWD wasn't worth the problems (PTU) and the mileage issues.

Replace the factory skins and see the difference.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I have a Edge front wheel drive only and its really pitiful in snow. I know the factory tires are mostly to blame but this is the WORST front wheel drive vehicle I've tried to drive had in the snow. I wish now I had gotten the AWD.

Maybe its not the vehicle nor the tires... have you considered changing your driving style?...

"Peace"

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi all. :D As a general rule of thumb, snow performance with FWD and AWD vehicles is primarily dictated by the snow handling/performance characteristics of the tires (and driver skill), not the vehicle. SInce all FWD and most AWD vehicles are decidedly nose heavy, they will all handle relatively the same in snow, if the proper tires are used. In other words, it is not the vehicles fault, it is either the tires, the driver or both.

In addition, the same tires should be used on all four corners, so if using snow tires, always install four. Never install only two, whether on the drive wheels or not.

And yes, of course the AWD version of a particular vehicle will handle better than a FWD version, in the snow with the exact same tires (i.e. tire model, tread depth, age etc.). But when comparing various FWD to FWD vehicles, AWD to AWD, tires are the primary deciding factor by a longshot.

Concerning winter handling of the factory Sport wheel/tire combination (I believe Pirelli Scorpions?) - If you need true snow driving capability, plan on purchasing a wheel/tire combination more appropriate for snow usage. Generally speaking, wIde, low profile tires do not drive well in snow.

Hope this information helps and good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Concerning winter handling of the factory Sport wheel/tire combination (I believe Pirelli Scorpions?) - If you need true snow driving capability, plan on purchasing a wheel/tire combination more appropriate for snow usage. Generally speaking, wIde, low profile tires do not drive well in snow.

I did a driver training with the 22" Scorpions. The handling on wet roads is horrible. I learned a lot about my Edge during the training. I prefer 18" winter tires on snow.

• 1 month later...