Fuel system problem

Jwat0213

Hey everyone, need some help. 

I'm having a problem with my fuel system. It started with a really weird noise in the back of the car and a P1405 OBD code in addition to problems with start up and idle after fueling up to the point that the car would die on idle. I replaced the purge valve and the fixed my problems for about a month and then I got the same thing with the addition of a bank 2 sensor 2 stuck rich OBD code (don't remember the exact one). Thinking that I had a defective part I replaced the purge value again and once again, that fixed all of my problems for about 3 weeks. The problems came back this week with rough idle, problems after fueling, the P1450 CODE and a P2196 code. I was filling up my car with a gas can and that alleviated the fuel up symptoms but I can't keep doing that forever. I'm kind of at a loss at the moment with what to check because I've read a lot of info and there are several answers from the charcoal canister to the evap canister to the fuel pump but haven't found info on a definitive fix.Just wanted to get some advice, I'm really frustrated at this point and want to get this fixed for good.

Thank you in advance. 

Edited by Jwat0213

I would call it an emissions, evap emissions issue, and not a fuel system issue. Is it a p1405 or a p1450? All codes (if a p1450 and p2196) and indicators (hard start after fuel fill, "farting" noise from tank/fuel fill) point to the purge valve. There are ways to test it to see if it is bad (always open) or possibly getting a bad signal to purge, and there are other components to the system, but usually only if the purge valve is stuck open will it do this, not other failures (canister being saturated, for example).

I am finding no P1405 DTC.

Diagnosis and testing procedure from the 2012 Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis Manual...

P1450 - Unable To Bleed Up Fuel Tank Vacuum

Description: Monitors the fuel vapor vacuum and pressure in the fuel tank. This DTC sets when the evaporative emission (EVAP) running loss monitor detects excessive fuel tank vacuum with the engine running, but not at idle.
Possible Causes:
  • Blockages or kinks in the EVAP canister tube or EVAP canister purge outlet tube between the fuel tank, the EVAP purge valve and the EVAP canister
  • Fuel filler cap stuck closed, preventing vacuum relief
  • Capless fuel tank filler pipe damaged, preventing vacuum relief (if equipped)
  • Contaminated fuel vapor elbow on the EVAP canister
  • Restricted EVAP canister
  • EVAP canister vent valve stuck partially or fully closed
  • Plugged EVAP canister vent valve filter
  • EVAP purge valve stuck open
  • VREF circuit open
  • Damaged FTP sensor
Diagnostic Aids: Visually inspect the EVAP canister inlet port, EVAP canister vent valve filter, and EVAP canister vent hose assembly for contamination or debris.

Check EVAP purge valve for vacuum leak.
Application     Key On Engine Off Key On Engine Running Continuous Memory
All   GO to Pinpoint Test HX.

Please be aware this "HX" diagnostic procedure refers to several electrical connector designs used across various Ford models, including Edge...

Document download links>

Pinpoint Test HX - Evaporative Emission (EVAP) System and Monitor.pdf

Fuel System - Diagnosis and Testing - 2012 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Good luck!

Edited by Haz
  • Like 1

Diagnosis and testing procedure from the 2012 Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis Manual...

P2196 - O2 Sensor Signal Biased/Stuck Rich - Bank 1, Sensor 1

Description: A heated oxygen sensor bank 1, sensor 1 (HO2S11) indicating rich at the end of a test is trying to correct for an over rich condition. This DTC sets when the fuel control system no longer detects switching for a calibrated amount of time.
Possible Causes:
  • HO2S harness short to voltage
  • Water in the harness connector
  • HO2S circuit open
  • UO2SPC circuit open
  • Corrosion
  • Incorrect connections
  • Excessive fuel pressure
  • Leaking or contaminated fuel injectors
  • EVAP purge valve stuck open
  • Biased MAP sensor signal
  • Incorrect learned ethanol content