2010 Ford Edge losing power steering fluid but no obvious signs of a leak

I have a 2010 Ford Edge AWD. It has 222,000 miles on it. The motor was replaced a few years ago with a 2008 with roughly 108,000 miles on it. Not sure it matters but I digress, all steering makes this awful whining noise. I noticed it several weeks ago put 1 pint in, it didn't get much better. Checked it days later its almost empty again and frothy, I'm told add another pint there is air in the system, I put another pint in it. It sounds so much better. Another week goes by, it starts to whine again. Sure as shit the level is low, add another pint. At this point I have put in 1.5 quarts of power steering fluid over the course of roughly 1 month. Yesterday it begins whining again. I park in the same spot every day whether I am at home or work and there is NO evidence of a leak anywhere. No marks in my drive, no marks in my spot at work, nada. Where is it going? All other fluid levels are fine, no other systems seem to be affected, its not blowing out the top. 

• Thanks 1

How about if you have fluid, and start it up and turn the wheel side to side in one place? I had a high pressure hose break on a vehicle and it sprayed the fluid out the front and no where near the vehicle. I only noticed it when I cranked the wheel to leave a parking spot with a wall in front of me, and I saw it stream there.

Welcome to the Forum, CEdge2010 !

From the 2010 Edge Workshop Manual...

Power Steering Fluid Leak Test

NOTE: This test should only be carried out if a leak in the system has not been detected during a thorough visual inspection. Refer to Inspection and Verification in this section.

1. Remove the power steering pump reservoir cap and check the power steering fluid level. If necessary, add the specified power steering fluid.
  1. Tightly install the Power Steering Evacuation Cap onto the reservoir and connect the Vacuum Pump Kit to the Evacuation Cap.
  1. Using the Vacuum Pump Kit, apply 68-85 kPa (20-25 in-Hg) of vacuum to the power steering system.
  1. Observe the vacuum gauge for 30 seconds. If the vacuum gauge reading drops more than 3 kPa (0.88 in-Hg), a leak is present.
  1. Remove the Vacuum Pump Kit.
  1. Start the engine and insert the Dial Thermometer into the Evacuation Cap.
  1. NOTICE: Do not hold the steering wheel at the stops for an extended amount of time. Damage to the power steering pump may occur.

With the engine at idle, raise the power steering fluid temperature to 74-80°C (165-176°F) by rotating the steering wheel fully to the left and right several times.
  1. Stop the engine and visually inspect the system for leaks.
    • If a leak is evident, repair as necessary.
    • If a leak is not evident, add the specified UV fluorescent tracer dye to the power steering fluid. Use 14.78 ml (1/2 oz) of dye solution for every 1.89L (2 qt) of power steering fluid.
  1. Start the engine.
  1. NOTICE: Do not hold the steering wheel at the stops for an extended amount of time. Damage to the power steering pump may occur.

With the engine at idle, raise the power steering fluid temperature to 74-80°C (165-176°F) by rotating the steering wheel fully to the left and right several times.
  1. Stop the engine and inspect the system for traces of UV dye using the 100W/12 Volt DC UV Lamp. Repair as necessary.

Document download links>

Power Steering System Flushing - General Procedures - 2010 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Power Steering System Purging - General Procedures - 2010 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Power Steering System Filling - General Procedures - 2010 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

image.png.5bbc3f34fe9a608fc1edcf0bbe068565.png

Good luck!

Edited by Haz
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, EddieHudson said:

My 2010 AWD uses Mercon V not power steering fluid. Try doing a flush and putting in the correct fluid.

Now that I have looked into this, it makes perfect sense. Thank you for bringing to my attention.  I will definitely be doing this and will report back with results.