Rear Drive Unit Lockup

B Ford

My 2014 Edge started to lockup in the rear.  I immediately brought it to a nearby dealer to avoid any further damage driving.  Diagnosis was that it needs RDU, FDU new rear axles and hubs. Repair quote is $9,141 against a retail value (per dealer) of $12,000 if the car didn't have these issues. Vehicle has 87,000 miles and dealer indicated a lot of rust but it was never driven in water.  I live in the NE so probably exposed to a lot of salt.  I was only offered $1,000 on an as is basis for the vehicle. Price seems high so I am at a dilemma on whether to repair and possibly find a cheaper alternative. Parts and labor quote is attached.

Quote.pdf

Get a 2nd opinion from a different dealer.

That quote smells like week old fish to me. Like they don't know what the real problem is, and quoted throwing a parts cannon at it. If the AWD coupling is locked up, it's either thr coupling unit or the module itself. 

Edited by enigma-2

On 8/27/2023 at 5:34 PM, B Ford said:

My 2014 Edge started to lockup in the rear.  I immediately brought it to a nearby dealer to avoid any further damage driving.  Diagnosis was that it needs RDU, FDU new rear axles and hubs. Repair quote is $9,141 against a retail value (per dealer) of $12,000 if the car didn't have these issues. Vehicle has 87,000 miles and dealer indicated a lot of rust but it was never driven in water.  I live in the NE so probably exposed to a lot of salt.  I was only offered $1,000 on an as is basis for the vehicle. Price seems high so I am at a dilemma on whether to repair and possibly find a cheaper alternative. Parts and labor quote is attached.

Quote.pdf

RUN

Do not return to a dealership that is trying to rape you.

And be sure to leave them a 1 star review on google and any other places you see fit, with specific details as to why to avoid them. 

The reason I say this, is there is very little likelihood that all of those components are bad. At most one or two of them could be.

The likely scenario is that the dealer is trying to scare you into trading up, getting your car for a steal of a price, fixing it and flipping it for a fat profit.

Now, when you say "locking up in the rear" do you mean that the rear wheels were actually stopping rotation while driving?

Or, when braking? Details matter. Give us more information.

• Like 1