Wireless Phone charging *and Wireless Android Auto)

MLTEdge

So, bought a new phone, Samsung Z Flip 5. Love the form factor and they made me a stupidly good offer. Anyway, had previously stayed away from using AA wirelessly, always plugged into USB. reasons being Wifi was buggy on connection and the old 10 watt wireless charger wouldn't provide enough power to charge phone while connected. Recently though the USB connection started glitching on me particularly on long drives, so I decide to try AA on wireless again. To my amazement it hasn't disconnected once! So now I had to find a way to make it convenient and just through my phone into the cubby and stop plugging in.

I finally found what works for me. A newer smaller 15 watt pad that has USB C and works with QI3.0 fast charging. Now my wireless charging works perfect. I didn't want to hang a wire to the passenger side accessory plug, or pull console apart to feed/hide wires, so I found a USB C accessory adapter to hold the QI charger. It all fits and works! I tucked the plugs way in the back since my phone didn't need all the room.  

If you use the adapter make sure you have enough room for your phone in the cubby. It looks like just enough room in front of ports in the cubby if you need the space. I did not try and use that though so unsure. If large phone doesn't fit, I suggest the tray under the arm rest.

Not sure if this setup works for Iphones or Pixels, you'll need to read up on that on the venders site for the Pad.

THIS WILL NOT WORK without the QI charger. It WILL provide power but not enough if you only plug into the USB C port. Tried it.

Here are the links.

Amazon.com: CERRXIAN 1ft USB C Male to 12V Cigarette Lighter Socket Adapter Power Cable for Dash Cam, GPS, Car Led Light Strips : Automotive

Amazon.com: AINOPE USB C Car Charger Fast Charge, 60W Smallest USB Car Charger Flush Fit 30W QC&30W PD Fast Cigarette Lighter USB Charger Compatible with iPhone 14 pro max/13/12, Samsung S22/S20, iPad, MacBook : Cell Phones & Accessories

Amazon.com: POLMXS Wireless Charger,15W Wireless car Charger Charging pad Non Slip Charger pad Fast Wireless Phone Charger for car Cell Phone Wireless Charging mat typc Cable galaxy21/20 Note10 S9S10S8 (C16) : Cell Phones & Accessories

Hope this helps others.

Crazy that a Type C->12v accessory->60w PD power adapter->QI pad charges better than the built in pad. I had to really noodle on that setup. Especially when that type c to 12v only supports 1amp, and that 60w adapter would be 5 amps draw.

I do agree the wireless pad in the vehicle is poorly done. I have a 2019 so no wireless AA so I have to plug in anyways, but I want to store my phone in the console. If I do it face up then it tries to wirelessly charge but it just makes my phone hot and stop charging at all. If I just do bluetooth and not wired connection, pretty much the same thing happens. It won't charge faster than it is used, even with the screen off. If I put my phone in there face down or on top of a mat I printed, it does fine. My phone barely fits next to the USB ports on the charging mat, I have no side to side and only .25 inches on the bottom (I use a 90 degree type c connector).

If nothing else that type c to 12v power point is cool, I have a lot of type c chargers that put out up to 180 watts and that would be useful, but a bit out of my price range for a gadget.

Edited by dabangsta

1 hour ago, dabangsta said:

Crazy that a Type C->12v accessory->60w PD power adapter->QI pad charges better than the built in pad. I had to really noodle on that setup. Especially when that type c to 12v only supports 1amp, and that 60w adapter would be 5 amps draw.

I do agree the wireless pad in the vehicle is poorly done. I have a 2019 so no wireless AA so I have to plug in anyways, but I want to store my phone in the console. If I do it face up then it tries to wirelessly charge but it just makes my phone hot and stop charging at all. If I just do bluetooth and not wired connection, pretty much the same thing happens. It won't charge faster than it is used, even with the screen off. If I put my phone in there face down or on top of a mat I printed, it does fine. My phone barely fits next to the USB ports on the charging mat, I have no side to side and only .25 inches on the bottom (I use a 90 degree type c connector).

If nothing else that type c to 12v power point is cool, I have a lot of type c chargers that put out up to 180 watts and that would be useful, but a bit out of my price range for a gadget.

I've been using AAWireless off and on for the past year. The only problem with it is the high demand on the battery. That coupled with the inefficient execution of the wireless charging pad results in extreme heating of the battery.

Like you I prefer to keep my phone pugged in and stored in the console cubby. My temporary solution was to place a 20mm thick piece of foam  on the charging pad to isolate it form the phone. Not the most elegant solution but it's working for me.

My car did not come with the wireless pad, my last car did and same as you all report, if connected won't charge properly. Yea a tight fit for hones which is why I suggested under center arm rest. With the air conditioning on, my console stays cool so either there is a vent I don't see in there, or the vent to rear seats goes under there and keeps it cool enough. My last car cooked in there. Mistake or planned it works out well.

Edited by MLTEdge

Weird that the 2021 ST doesn't have wireless charger (unless it is a 401A "high package" vehicle) with the ST-Line having it standard (and Titanium). No real loss, I want to unplug mine so I don't need the little mat I printed, or put phones in face down. My 2019 has a door over it, and if I do wireless charging and close the lid within 10-15 minutes I see that my phone is no longer charging. With it open I get about an hour before it over heats.

3 hours ago, dabangsta said:

Weird that the 2021 ST doesn't have wireless charger (unless it is a 401A "high package" vehicle) with the ST-Line having it standard (and Titanium). No real loss, I want to unplug mine so I don't need the little mat I printed, or put phones in face down. My 2019 has a door over it, and if I do wireless charging and close the lid within 10-15 minutes I see that my phone is no longer charging. With it open I get about an hour before it over heats.

I don't put my phone in face down, face up. So far it hasn't overheated. Went 2 hours the other day too, 100% charged, warm but not overheated. Has a thin case too. Tried another model Samsung, non foldable, and it works too. Yep, strange no wireless pad stock, but seems "home built" was only way to make it charge properly while using phone.