Ugh! Revs before shifting then shifts hard (several things)

Stacy Siano

I bought this car used, 170000 miles. Seller said they replaced a melted coil and said it was throwing cylinder 6 code. When I got home to replace all coils and spark plugs he had replaced cylinder 4. Anyway, It was still misfiring so I replaced all coils and spark plugs due to mileage. I replaced the PCV valve, transmission fluid good, oil good, MAP sensor good. Tested fuel injectors and they are good, air filter, etc.. good. There is a short behind radio or something because fan, ac goes in and off randomly and the radio resets to an and 12:00 time when turned off. Could this be the PCM? Should I just send it off and have it repaired? Has anyone else had these issues?

• Sad 1

can't tell you how many people become new owners of used cars and are unprepared for the damage already in place. many times the seller will not tell the buyer the full history, just enough to make issues seem innocuous. just sad.

https://drive.google.com/drive/u/1/folders/1IKPvNZ8e9QHJYhw4C_kSDt0dsFXtM2oo

i think you are locked into the plug-coil-pcm death cycle. you will see the tsbs in the link i posted above.

everything should be repaired/replaced all at one time. https://circuitboardmedics.com can repair your damaged pcm.

you can buy the coil kit ba5z-12259-a from any online ford dealer, or from swagperformance on ebay. this will have coils and plugs and manifold gaskets.

• Like 1

Thank you. That is what I am thinking also. I don’t want to go spend a130 for a diagnostic with no engine light for them to tell me it is the PCM. I will send the PCM off to the above link. I have replaced all coils, spark plugs, PCV valve but have not replaced the manifold gasket because it looked good. I can replace the gasket. I only have one key to this vehicle so will the PCM still recognize key or will I have to buy another key and have it programmed? I really appreciate your answer. People around here see a woman and think money for repairs.

2008 Edge or MKX ? \ V6~3.5L~DOHC Engin ? \ FWD or AWD ? \ With TowPack or WOut TowPack ?

Note these details in your profile & signature to make asking+answering questions easier; click on your LogOn at topright then AccountSettings.

As a "new" owner, best to become aware of several NotoriousFailureItems:

* InternalChainDriven WaterPump:

watch for Coolant from weephole on Engin front behind Alternator or worse "ChocolateMilkShake" on the Engin OilDipStick.

* PowerTransferUnit\PTU on AWD Models:

watch for GearOil boiling out of top vent & dripping on to exhaust, grinding sound; both indications of pending failure.

* Radiator FanControlModule:

failure causes Fans to stop working when AC is turned on & Engin overheat while idling or in Stop+GoTraffic.

Consider draining & renewing Transmission ATF MerconV; personal preference is every 33kMiles\4Yrs, RedlIne#HighTemp or AmsOil#ssmvatf.

Consider renewing all 4 OxygenSensors; personal preference is every 100kMiles\12yrs along with new SparkPlugs;

the Bosch 15719 OxSensor with 24i00 0m610 Long Cable+Plug is good to replace any Ford 4WireNarrowBand Sensor;

their chemical coating slowly wears out & then the Fuel/Air mix gets biased rich,

causing MPGs to decrease & exhaust CatalyticConvertors to run excessivley hot, an expensive repair if let go too long.

Recommend starting TroubleShoot by reading & writing down all active TroubleCodes via OnBoardDiagnostic2\OBD2 Port under the Dash.
Have here the items below, allowing access to TroubleCodes, Signals & Configurations:

OBDLink#MX+ Module with WirelessBT to AndroidPhon with OBDLinkApp + ForScanLite + TorquePro
* Reads+Resets+Graphs both StandardSAE & ProprietaryOEM Data
* DashBoardMode for viewing Temps & Signals while Driving
* Used for Routine Maintenance & DailyMonitoring

OBDLink#EX Module with CabledUSB to WindowsPC with OBDLinkWiz + ForScanLLE
* Reads+Resets+Graphs+Configures both StandardSAE & ProprietaryOEM Data
* Faster & easier than ToggleSwitch ELM327 ComsModules
* Used for InDepth Maintenance & Configurations

Above ODB2 items are personal preference; there are many options which vary widely in cost & function.
An Ohm+Volt+Amp\MultiMeter is also handy+essential; using the same digital Fluke meter 30years+ now.

Edited by DILLARD000

On 10/7/2023 at 8:48 AM, WWWPerfA_ZN0W said:

can't tell you how many people become new owners of used cars and are unprepared for the damage already in place. many times the seller will not tell the buyer the full history, just enough to make issues seem innocuous. just sad.

https://drive.google.com/drive/u/1/folders/1IKPvNZ8e9QHJYhw4C_kSDt0dsFXtM2oo

i think you are locked into the plug-coil-pcm death cycle. you will see the tsbs in the link i posted above.

everything should be repaired/replaced all at one time. https://circuitboardmedics.com can repair your damaged pcm.

you can buy the coil kit ba5z-12259-a from any online ford dealer, or from swagperformance on ebay. this will have coils and plugs and manifold gaskets.

I sent the PCM off to circuit board medics and they call me this morning saying they can’t get it to throw any codes. I told them what was going on but they are now trying to sell me a refurbished pcm for 150.00 more? I am just having them return it since they can’t get it to throw any errors as well. Could this be a solenoid? What would cause this but not throw a check engine light? Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it.

Edited by Stacy Siano
Added info