Remote Start and Siruis?

I just bought a used 2008 Ford EDGE AWD limited last night. There are two things that I want to add to the car. The remote start and sirius radio. I have read that the Edge AWD limited is prewired for the remote start. Is this the same for the Sirius? If not, where can I find info on installing the OEM parts?

Edited by jtalberts

I just bought a used 2008 Ford EDGE AWD limited last night. There are two things that I want to add to the car. The remote start and sirius radio. I have read that the Edge AWD limited is prewired for the remote start. Is this the same for the Sirius? If not, where can I find info on installing the OEM parts?

You made the mistake like the rest of us by getting AWD. Look under burning smell, relative to PTU leaks... I hope this issue will pass you by.

if you use the search function, both after market Sirius and the remote start have been covered several times.. you should find all you need in previous threads.

if you use the search function, both after market Sirius and the remote start have been covered several times.. you should find all you need in previous threads.

That is what is different. I am not wanting to put in aftermarket. I wanted to know if anyone knew it was prewired for these things, just like was stated. I didn't find the specifics in what I was looking for using the search function.

That is what is different. I am not wanting to put in aftermarket. I wanted to know if anyone knew it was prewired for these things, just like was stated. I didn't find the specifics in what I was looking for using the search function.

Hi jtalberts. :D If by pre-wired you mean are the Ford Remote Starter and Sirius radio simple plug and play installations, then the answer is no. There will be cutting, splicing and additional wiring/wiring harnesses needed for both systems, along with the necessary components that need to be purchased and installed.

Good luck. :beerchug:

understood.. but I guess what I was assuming is that you would see from previous threads, like BBF points out, there are not prewire setups and that though both are totally possible to do, everyone who does them must do some wiring. not just simple plug and play. if there were prewire and plug and play options, they would have been discussed here. anyway, the good news is, you can get these both if you really want - it just may not be the straight plug and play you desire.

understood.. but I guess what I was assuming is that you would see from previous threads, like BBF points out, there are not prewire setups and that though both are totally possible to do, everyone who does them must do some wiring. not just simple plug and play. if there were prewire and plug and play options, they would have been discussed here. anyway, the good news is, you can get these both if you really want - it just may not be the straight plug and play you desire.

That is what I needed to know guys. Thanks for the help. There was a poster in a thread I did find that stated the AWD limiteds were Plug and Play for the remote start. Just wanted to make sure before I got in over my head.

First in the trunk remove the the cover for the spare tire on the back wall closes to you remove the scuff plate (just pull up from top) it you see a small box on the left side silver about 3x5x1 that the sat module held on by 2 nuts. If there just a lose plug with approx 5 wires about 5in long that your factory sat wire. there is a factory module not sure if dealer sells it but have seen them on ebay.There's also a small thin black wire with a square plug on the end thats the antenna wire.

I just had my cousin (who is a Ford Technician) install a genuine Ford remote start. I purchased the Ford kit with the extra wiring harness which you will need regardless of the model of your Edge(SE,SEL,Limited). The extra wiring harness plugs directly into your stock harnesses. I was able to purchase the kit for around $177.oo which i am told is extremely cheap for genuine Ford remote starts. My cousin said the extra harnesses cut out several wires that would otherwise have to be cut. He had the remote start installed in under 2 hours start to finish. We could have had it installed sooner than that but he solders and covers the wires to give thema professional and moisture resistant look.So to answer your question about the remote start: Whichever Ford remote starter kit you get(one button fob versus four button fob with doors,etc.) you will have to also purchase the wiring harness. The harness is included with the one button kit but not the four button kit. I do not know about the Sirius radio harness since i have not and will not be using that feature!! I hope this helps and feel free to ask any questions. :shades:

so, your still running or splicing wires to a degree, even dealing with a harness - which is like kryptonite to some people. with the Sirius, yes, you can read around here about adding Sirius after the fact to your stock head unit. Some threads on it, where to find the mount location (like Dymes points out), etc.. But it still requires dealing with antenna and head unit hookup. IIRC, you cant just plug in the Sirius box in the back and POW.. Sirius. I think it an easy install, but to some... maybe not. You still have antenna and head-unit interface to do. and with the remote start, again, several threads on it about how it can be done, but again, you still have a harness and wires to run. it is not just as simple as plug in a remote start box and POW.. remote start.

so, as said above, both of these are totally attainable. it is just a matter of (1) how much effort your willing to put in and (2) how plug and play do you really expect/want it to be.

so, your still running or splicing wires to a degree, even dealing with a harness - which is like kryptonite to some people. with the Sirius, yes, you can read around here about adding Sirius after the fact to your stock head unit. Some threads on it, where to find the mount location (like Dymes points out), etc.. But it still requires dealing with antenna and head unit hookup. IIRC, you cant just plug in the Sirius box in the back and POW.. Sirius. I think it an easy install, but to some... maybe not. You still have antenna and head-unit interface to do. and with the remote start, again, several threads on it about how it can be done, but again, you still have a harness and wires to run. it is not just as simple as plug in a remote start box and POW.. remote start.

so, as said above, both of these are totally attainable. it is just a matter of (1) how much effort your willing to put in and (2) how plug and play do you really expect/want it to be.

If the wiring is in the trunk it behind the deck as far as antenna if the bubble is on your spoiler your antenna is there tooo....If these thing aren't present in car kit is your best bet.

If the wiring is in the trunk it behind the deck as far as antenna if the bubble is on your spoiler your antenna is there tooo....If these thing aren't present in car kit is your best bet.

funny you mention this as I was about to ask jtalberts if he has the black antenna on his spoiler?

I wondered if the factory put them all in place, and then for those that ordered sirius like I did when I ordered my car or for those with it coming off the line, they finish off and put in the module & wired it up.

But like you say.. if he does not have that antenna on the spoiler, then no wiring down, then likely have to get after market kit which you can read about here where dealer installs for like $450, or at like TSS Radio or a dash mount even

funny you mention this as I was about to ask jtalberts if he has the black antenna on his spoiler?

I wondered if the factory put them all in place, and then for those that ordered sirius like I did when I ordered my car or for those with it coming off the line, they finish off and put in the module & wired it up.

But like you say.. if he does not have that antenna on the spoiler, then no wiring down, then likely have to get after market kit which you can read about here where dealer installs for like $450, or at like TSS Radio or a dash mount even

I work at the oakville assembly plant where the edges are built, spoiler are pre ordered an pre wired according to orders, everything is done on the line.Dash comes done to us we just plug them in an bolt them down.

Edited by Dymes

Dymes any comment on the PTU Problems Ford is having.

I thought since you work at the plant you can give me the scope.

I will be visiting Oakville in May. Any change I can get a visit of the Plant?

Gary Smith

SMOKIN EDGE

I work on the line in trim area mainly dash install an some wiring stuff.I have the same problem with my edge dealer waiting for parts.I've already changed my drive shaft an hangers (out sourcing bad parts) I only had 11000km on my Edge.I read more here than they tell us at the plant but you see alot too.My friend in repair department gave me the heads up to watch for these problems an he was right ..........

Are you proud to work for a company that treats its customers the way they have treated us?

You mean by attempting to fix the problem numerous times? I don't see any problem here with Ford's efforts - they're attempting to fix the problem including making new parts. I don't hear them turning anyone down or trying to deny the problem or say that it isn't a warranty issue. And they're paying for multiple warranty repairs on some vehicles.

The only bad thing they've done is not fix the problem permanently. I think part of the problem is that the dealer's aren't installing the seals and new PTUs correctly. Outside of that it's either a supplier issue (still Ford's responsibility), a shortage of ford engineering resources or just a really hard problem to solve - or all 3.

I agree that it's a problem that never should have happened and it should have been fixed months ago. But I don't think Ford is treating it's customers badly (yet at least).

You mean by attempting to fix the problem numerous times? I don't see any problem here with Ford's efforts - they're attempting to fix the problem including making new parts. I don't hear them turning anyone down or trying to deny the problem or say that it isn't a warranty issue. And they're paying for multiple warranty repairs on some vehicles.

The only bad thing they've done is not fix the problem permanently. I think part of the problem is that the dealer's aren't installing the seals and new PTUs correctly. Outside of that it's either a supplier issue (still Ford's responsibility), a shortage of ford engineering resources or just a really hard problem to solve - or all 3.

I agree that it's a problem that never should have happened and it should have been fixed months ago. But I don't think Ford is treating it's customers badly (yet at least).

I agree ford knows of the problem an they are trying to fix it an have taken step to correct it, some might say not the best ones but they are try.As an CAW member I can only work with what I'm given to work with engineer must set higher standard for quality on part an out sourcing !!!

Edited by Dymes

• 2 weeks later...