Transmission Leak

DonnaB

I took my 2008 Edge Limited in to the dealer today because it had a transmission leak.

The answer I got was "It is a known Edge problem with no known solution and I would have to live with it".

I am in Alberta, Canada and they say Ford is working on the problem. He also said "there may be something available in the States but not Canada".

It seems ridiculous that nothing can be done to fix it and that it would make any difference if it is a Canadian Edge vs a U.S. Edge.

Any comments would be appreciated.

DonnaB

I had a PTO issue with my CX-7, there is a TSB issued on how to fix it. It's as simple as replacing the seals. The process to do that however isn't simple..

Really the issue is incompetence on the service departments side most of the time.

To garyedwardsmith, unless the PTO becomes an emissions or safety issue, this problem will never become a recall.

Edited by CreamEDGE.

• 3 weeks later...
I had a PTO issue with my CX-7, there is a TSB issued on how to fix it. It's as simple as replacing the seals. The process to do that however isn't simple..

Really the issue is incompetence on the service departments side most of the time.

To garyedwardsmith, unless the PTO becomes an emissions or safety issue, this problem will never become a recall.

If the seals are installed properly, it will solve the leaking issue. The process is difficult, so I guess my tech is a good one.

take it to cam clark in airdrie, just had mine done a month ago. They gave me the run around till i gave the the tsb for the ptu and got the parts and edge back on the road in a week.

My 2007 SEL AWD has just rolled over 36,000 miles and I discovered the leaking fluid 2 days ago when I was having an oil change. I took it to the dealer that day and was told that it was probably the PTU Seal/RTU Seal. They replaced this in no time, which leads me to believe they have repaired several of these. I love the Edge's styling...and it has been a very good car up until this point. Although, the car doesn't get great gas mileage like advertised...but something I can live with. What I cannot live with is a constant repair of a seal! This is completely unfair to the consumer! :rant:

My 2007 SEL AWD has just rolled over 36,000 miles and I discovered the leaking fluid 2 days ago when I was having an oil change. I took it to the dealer that day and was told that it was probably the PTU Seal/RTU Seal. They replaced this in no time, which leads me to believe they have repaired several of these. I love the Edge's styling...and it has been a very good car up until this point. Although, the car doesn't get great gas mileage like advertised...but something I can live with. What I cannot live with is a constant repair of a seal! This is completely unfair to the consumer! :rant:

Submit your name to the "Growing List of Disgruntled Ford Edge Owners with the stinkin PTU Problem at the SMOKIN EDGE

The more of us that get together on this problem the more likely we can persuade Ford to act.

Gary

Can anyone tell me where to look under the vehicle? I just purchased a 2007 Edge awd with 31,000 miles on it and of course came across this after the fact. I don't know if it's leaking but I want to look underneath and see. This sounds like a real mess.

Thx

• 2 weeks later...

If you can get under the car, just look at where the exhaust goes up and you'll see the axle seal leak. I had mine replaced 3 days after I purchased the 08 (6 months used) at the end of Dec. Two weeks later it was leaking again, so they replaced the whole PTU(said it had a small crack in it). Now, two months later it is leaking again from the same spot so going back to the dealer...

• 2 weeks later...
Submit your name to the "Growing List of Disgruntled Ford Edge Owners with the stinkin PTU Problem at the SMOKIN EDGE

The more of us that get together on this problem the more likely we can persuade Ford to act.

Gary

THANKS FOR THE "TIP", GARY! I WILL DO JUST THAT! :D