New wiper blades sticking to window

So I recently changes the wiper blades on my 2018 Ford Edge Sport. I put the wipers into maintenance position, switched them out, then started the ignition so they would go down like normal.

That same day we got rain so I turned on my wipers to do a single wipe and the driver side wiper only went up about 3/4 of the way before looking like the blade was too sticky and stuff to the windshield. The other blade went up and down with no problem. I pulled over touched the wiper blade and it finished its wipe but when it went into the rest position is would go down then jump back up. Then whenever I would try a single swipe the same thing would happen, but when put in intermittent wipes it would work just fine.

After doing some research I thought maybe they needed to be reset since they weren't going into the rest position properly. I went out and put them into the maintenance position and turned on the ignition just to try and see what would happen and the driver side wouldn't move at all.

The passenger side went down but the driver side just stayed up and would twice every few seconds. I put them down, removed the wiper arms and tried to turn on the wiper blades and neither side would move at all.

Is this going to be a faulty wiper motor or could something else be the issue?

3 hours ago, omar302 said:

How did you do that?

When ignition is off, you can simply rotate them manually and lift. 

Thats what I did, you rotate them to the upright position to change them. That's called the maintenance or service position in the manual.

Welcome to the Forum, phillieeagle !

Having your Edge Sport scanned for Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) may reveal a cause of the left hand wiper motor symptoms.

I did find this Special Service Message (SSM) describing intermittent wiper motor operation due to snow and ice blockage -- clearly not your Edge's issue,  though repeated resistance to movement can lead to wiper motor replacement...

SSM 48094   2015-2019 Edge Vehicles - Build On Or Before 5-Nov-2018 - Wipers Intermittent Operation Issues In Snow/Ice Conditions

Some 2015-2019 Edge vehicles build on or before 5-Nov-2018 may exhibit snow and/or ice accumulation below the wiper blade park position, causing the wipers to have intermittent operational issues. If normal diagnostics do not result in a root cause determination, replace the driver’s side wiper motor with updated service part FT4Z-17508-H, and make sure the customer is advised to keep the cowl area clean of ice and snow. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 501-16 and applicable labor operations in Section 11 of the Service Labor Time Standards (SLTS) Manual.

Diagnostic and repair procedures are provided in this, and immediately following Forum posts, due to Forum attachment limitations...

Document download links>

Wipers and Washers - System Operation and Component Description - 2018 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Wipers and Washers - Diagnosis and Testing - 2018 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

DIAGNOSTIC PINPOINT TEST G - THE WINDSHIELD WIPERS DO NOT PARK AT THE CORRECT POSITION - 2018 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Windshield Wiper Pivot Arm - Removal and Installation - 2018 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Windshield Wiper Motor - Wiring Diagram - 2018 Edge.pdf

Cowl Panel Grille - Removal and Installation - 2018 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Cowl Panel - Removal and Installation - 2018 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Windshield Wiper Motor - Removal and Installation - 2018 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

• Like 2