Edge ST Advancetrac sport mode

STBEAST

So, I recently discovered a somewhat hidden feature (not in the owner's manual) with the ESC button. If you double tap the button it puts the Advancetrac system into sport mode, I found out about it on a Youtube video.  It looks to be a feature on the 2019+ St models. I have tried using it while toggling to the AWD screen on the dash and it seems to make the AWD much more active while driving. Has anyone had a chance to research this feature and find out exactly what it does? Kind of interesting that there is nothing about it in the owner's manual.

• Like 1

You mentioned 2019+ so I looked in my 2019 PDF version of the manual and it has the details. The HTML and PDF versions of 2024 is lacking those details, it seems to be missing from the 2021+ manuals (I guess since it is an ST only feature?). But is in the HTML version for 2019 and 2020: https://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/vdirsnet/OwnerManual/Home/Content?variantid=7056&languageCode=en&countryCode=USA&Uid=G1953031&ProcUid=G1953033&userMarket=USA&div=f&vFilteringEnabled=False&buildtype=web

Ok just found it. Not sure why it isn't in my manual. Just trying to figure out what they mean by "more spirited driving experience", but it does seem to make the AWD system more active. Just wondering when you would want to use this feature. ???

It likely allows a little more wheel spin and side to side slip before applying brakes, allowing more over/understeer before correcting. I don't understand how AWD would be more active. You mean applying more or less power to the rear on power application or slip?

Seems like it utilizes the rear wheel drive more. When I toggle to the AWD image on the dash, it seems to show a lot more power being allocated to the rear wheel drive.

I seem to remember a few years back, a post about a customer who bought a new edge and he lived in the snow. He was disappointed at how minimal the all-wheel drive system kicked in. I told him to try sport mode and he said there was a significant difference. I not 100 percent on this but sure seems that it is part of the sport mode.  

Hmm, I get close to 50/50 just taking off from a stop light aggressively on dry roads with my 2012 Fusion, and it will never be more than that, being front wheel biased and all.

The 2019 ST Supplement document has a little more information on states of TC, ESC, and RSC but no more details on what it actually means. Again, nothing about AWD and without affecting TC I don't think it affects AWD that much, but maybe it does.

Screenshot 2024-01-19 at 2.22.54 PM.png

• Like 1

I was able to do a bit of testing today and the AWD seems to engage more when in sport mode. Seems to be a relatively big difference. I think whole reason for the rear wheel disconnect is for fuel economy, but in sport mode it is not a priority. I'm going to do some more testing in different conditions to verify. Thanks so much for all the great info and the chart!  Wonder why they say don't use sport mode on public highways. ???

Additional info...

1005586629_MeetTheAllNewEdgeST.thumb.jpg.7c82edcf25a755fa91aab69f602d1be3.jpg

1746790655_2020EdgeST-TractionControlSportModeEffects.jpg.cab367f9978f6bdb25e05d6605dd2bec.jpg

2019-2024 Edge Workshop Manuals all include the Sport Mode Traction Control engage/disengage instruction, along with a typo omitting the word spirited.

Placing your device cursor over underlined acronyms may yield full-word descriptions...

AdvanceTrac

The AdvanceTrac system is comprised of the traction control and ESC features.

Traction Control (TC)

The ABS module continuously monitors and compares the rotational speed of the drive wheels in relation to the non-driven wheels. When the drive wheels begin to spin faster than the non-driven wheels, the ABS module modulates brake pressure to the appropriate brake caliper(s) by opening and closing the appropriate solenoid valves inside the HCU while the hydraulic pump motor is activated. At the same time, the ABS module calculates how much engine torque reduction is required to eliminate the wheel slip and sends this torque reduction message along with a traction event message to the GWM over the HS-CAN2 . The GWM sends the engine torque reduction message to the PCM over the HS-CAN1 and the traction event message to the IPC over the HS-CAN3 . When the PCM receives the torque reduction message, it adjusts engine timing and decreases fuel injector pulses to reduce the engine torque to the requested level. When the IPC receives the traction event message it flashes the stability-traction control indicator (sliding car icon). Once the driven wheel speed returns to the desired speed, the ABS module returns the solenoid valves in the HCU to their normal position, deactivates the hydraulic pump motor and stops sending the traction event and torque reduction messages. The PCM returns engine timing and fuel injectors to normal operation and the IPC extinguishes the stability-traction control indicator (sliding car icon). After the vehicle speed exceeds 100 km/h (62 mph), traction control is accomplished only through the PCM torque control.

Traction control can be disabled using the traction control switch in the following manner:

• Momentarily pressing the switch disables only traction control, ABS , ESC and RSC remain enabled.
  • Pressing the switch twice rapidly engages Sport Mode. Sport mode modifies the stability control intervention thresholds to allow for a more driving experience.
  • Pressing the switch once after the system is deactivated fully enables the traction control system.
  • Pressing the switch once after Sport mode is activated, deactivates Sport mode and fully enables the traction control system.

When the driver disables traction control, the IPC communicates traction control status to the GWM along the HS-CAN2 . The GWM sends the message to the ABS module along the HS-CAN2 . The ABS module takes no further action in regards to traction control until the driver activates the function or until the ignition is cycled from OFF to ON.

Traction control is disabled if there is a wheel speed sensor or solenoid valve DTC present in the ABS module. Traction control is also disabled if there is a communication error between the ABS module and the GWM . When traction control is disabled, the ABS module sends a message to the GWM along the HS-CAN2 which gateways the message to the IPC over the HS-CAN3 to illuminate the stability-traction control OFF indicator (sliding car OFF icon).

Electronic Stability Control (ESC)

The ABS module continuously monitors the vehicle motion relative to the intended course. This is done by using sensors to compare the steering wheel sensor messages, yaw rate sensor messages and longitudinal acceleration with the actual vehicle motion. On vehicles without active park assist, steering angle information is calculated by the PSCM and sent to the ABS module over the HS-CAN2 . On vehicles with active park assist, steering angle information is sent by the SCCM over the HS-CAN2 . Vehicle yaw rate and longitudinal acceleration information is sent to the ABS module from the RCM over the HS-CAN2 . If the ABS module determines from the inputs the vehicle is unable to travel in the intended direction, the brake pressure to the appropriate brake caliper(s) is modulated by opening and closing the appropriate solenoid valves inside the HCU while the hydraulic pump motor is activated. At the same time the ABS module calculates how much engine torque reduction is required to reduce vehicle speed to help stabilize the vehicle and sends this torque reduction message, along with an ESC event message, to the GWM over the HS-CAN2 . The GWM sends the torque reduction message to the PCM over the HS-CAN1 and the ESC event message to the IPC over the HS-CAN3 . When the PCM receives the torque reduction message, it adjusts engine timing and decreases fuel injector pulses to reduce the engine torque to the requested level. When the IPC receives this message, it flashes the stability-traction control indicator (sliding car icon).

Once the vehicle instability has been corrected, the ABS module returns the solenoid valves in the HCU to their normal position, deactivates the hydraulic pump motor and stops sending the ESC event and torque reduction messages. The PCM returns engine timing and fuel injectors to normal operation and the IPC extinguishes the stability-traction control indicator (sliding car icon).

ESC does not operate with the transmission in REVERSE. ESC is disabled if there is a wheel speed sensor, stability sensor or steering angle sensor DTC present in the ABS module. ESC is also disabled if there is a communication error between the ABS module and the PSCM , the ABS module and the RCM or the ABS module and the SCCM (if equipped). When ESC is disabled, the ABS module sends a message to the GWM along the HS-CAN2 which gateways the message to the IPC over the along the HS-CAN3 to illuminate the stability-traction control OFF indicator (sliding car OFF icon).

Roll Stability Control (RSC)

The ABS module continuously monitors the vehicle motion relative to the intended course. This is done by using sensors to compare the steering wheel sensor messages, yaw rate sensor messages, lateral acceleration sensor messages, longitudinal acceleration sensor messages and roll rate sensor messages with the actual vehicle motion. On vehicles without active park assist, steering angle information is calculated by the PSCM and sent to the ABS module over the HS-CAN2 . On vehicles with active park assist, steering angle information is sent by the SCCM over the HS-CAN2 . Vehicle yaw rate, lateral acceleration, longitudinal acceleration and roll rate information is sent to the ABS module from the RCM over the HS-CAN2 . If the ABS module determines from the inputs the vehicle is becoming unstable, the brake pressure to the appropriate brake caliper(s) is modulated by opening and closing the appropriate solenoid valves inside the HCU while the hydraulic pump motor is activated. At the same time the ABS module calculates how much engine torque reduction is required to help stabilize the vehicle and sends this torque reduction message, along with an RSC event message, to the GWM over the HS-CAN2 . The GWM sends the torque reduction message to the PCM over the HS-CAN1 and the RSC event message to the IPC over the HS-CAN3 . When the PCM receives the torque reduction message, it adjusts engine timing and decreases fuel injector pulses to reduce the engine torque to the requested level. When the IPC receives this message, it flashes the stability-traction control indicator (sliding car icon).

Once the vehicle instability has been corrected, the ABS module returns the solenoid valves in the HCU to their normal position, deactivates the hydraulic pump motor and stops sending the RSC event and torque reduction messages. The PCM returns engine timing and fuel injectors to normal operation and the IPC extinguishes the stability-traction control indicator (sliding car icon).

RSC does not operate with the transmission in REVERSE. RSC is disabled if there is a wheel speed sensor, stability sensor or steering angle sensor DTC present in the ABS module. RSC is also disabled if there is a communication error between the ABS module and the PSCM , the ABS module and the RCM or the ABS module and the SCCM (if equipped). When RSC is disabled, the ABS module sends a message to the GWM along the HS-CAN2 which gateways the message to the IPC over the along the HS-CAN3 to illuminate the stability-traction control OFF indicator (sliding car OFF icon).

Ford's advice to not use Sport Mode may be due to the outcome of a driver losing control of a vehicle having diminished TC/ESC reactive capability on public roads, compared to the same event occurring on a race track.

Good luck! 

• Like 2

Wow, thanks for the great information. Really a great breakdown of the systems. 

Interesting in the ad (#2) where they talk about the Sport Mode...."all-wheel-drive-calibration for balanced front and rear torque distribution". 

In Advancetrac sport mode I could feel (and see on the screen) the all-wheel-drive becoming much more active.  I even tried it on the highway and even though it becomes front wheel biased, the system activates the rear wheels with less accelerator pedal input.  

Almost seems like it would be a benefit to have the all-wheel-drive more active in wet/rain road conditions. 

• Like 1