Not the transmission

fordfanatic

To all of you who have had what would seem to be a transmission problem, when you accelerate from first gear and the power drops of abruptly and then slams back into gear, it's not the transmission. I had this problem with my 07 Edge SE around 7000 miles and brought it to the dealer. After failing to fix it the first two times (they did the reprogram and then the PTU gasket) I requested to have a mechanic take a drive with me to witness the issue. Once the mechanic witnessed the issue, he got on the ford hotline and figured out the problem. The problem mainly occurred when taking a turn, and the traction control light would always flicker on. Eventually it was determined to be a faulty steering sensor that was calling for traction control when it was not needed. Once they replaced the sensor, problem solved. Hope this helps anyone having this problem. :banghead:

• 3 months later...
To all of you who have had what would seem to be a transmission problem, when you accelerate from first gear and the power drops of abruptly and then slams back into gear, it's not the transmission. I had this problem with my 07 Edge SE around 7000 miles and brought it to the dealer. After failing to fix it the first two times (they did the reprogram and then the PTU gasket) I requested to have a mechanic take a drive with me to witness the issue. Once the mechanic witnessed the issue, he got on the ford hotline and figured out the problem. The problem mainly occurred when taking a turn, and the traction control light would always flicker on. Eventually it was determined to be a faulty steering sensor that was calling for traction control when it was not needed. Once they replaced the sensor, problem solved. Hope this helps anyone having this problem. :banghead:

This could have just solved my problems I've been having! Sounds like the same issue I'm having. I'm going to print this out, as I'm taking it to the shop today. Is this something that is covered under the powertrain warranty?

This could have just solved my problems I've been having! Sounds like the same issue I'm having. I'm going to print this out, as I'm taking it to the shop today. Is this something that is covered under the powertrain warranty?

Most modern day vehicles with TC and VSC (stability control) will INSTANTLY, pre-emptively, dethrottle the engine if you attempt a TIGHT turn while accelerating moderately or rapidly in a low gear ratio.

Just thought I'd add that it looks like I had the same issues fordfanatic described. They say my Steering Angle Sensor (or something like that) needs replace. Since I only have powertrain warranty left, I have to pay for this out of pocket. It's going to be like $315! :cry: Anyone have any ideas how I could get this done cheaper??? For the time being I'm just going to do without. The tech said it wouldn't damage anything, I just might not have TC.

Just thought I'd add that it looks like I had the same issues fordfanatic described. They say my Steering Angle Sensor (or something like that) needs replace. Since I only have powertrain warranty left, I have to pay for this out of pocket. It's going to be like $315! :cry: Anyone have any ideas how I could get this done cheaper??? For the time being I'm just going to do without. The tech said it wouldn't damage anything, I just might not have TC.

Poor advice, maybe even DEADLY advice.

The stearing wheel rotational position sensor is used by the stability control system. With a defective sensor the system may think you are trying to turn when you are not thereby throwing the vehicle out of control.

Poor advice, maybe even DEADLY advice.

The stearing wheel rotational position sensor is used by the stability control system. With a defective sensor the system may think you are trying to turn when you are not thereby throwing the vehicle out of control.

You may be completely wrong. If the sensor has on open then it is not reading at all and can not send a false signal. we do not know the exact diag though and should not coment either way.

You may be completely wrong. If the sensor has on open then it is not reading at all and can not send a false signal. we do not know the exact diag though and should not coment either way.

Thanks for making me feel a little bit safer druck52. :wacko:

Do yourself a favor and NEVER, I mean NEVER have a dealership perform repairs (unless they are covered under warranty and you don't have to pay anything.) Find a good independent shop (preferably a Ford certified shop...if those exist.....I know they have Honda Certified Shops for Honda) and get them to look at it. Dealership service shops are a RIP OFF.

Also don't always take the dealer's word that it is not covered under warranty. Do some of your own research.

Edited by 09RedfireSEL

Do yourself a favor and NEVER, I mean NEVER have a dealership perform repairs (unless they are covered under warranty and you don't have to pay anything.) Find a good independent shop (preferably a Ford certified shop...if those exist.....I know they have Honda Certified Shops for Honda) and get them to look at it. Dealership service shops are a RIP OFF.

Also don't always take the dealer's word that it is not covered under warranty. Do some of your own research.

What is your problem with taking it to a dealership. What will you do when your independent shop can't fix the problem. Dealerships are not a ripoff as you say. There are good ones and bad ones sure, but there are good and bad independent shops as well. Also the dealership will tell you if it is covered or not.

What is your problem with taking it to a dealership. What will you do when your independent shop can't fix the problem. Dealerships are not a ripoff as you say. There are good ones and bad ones sure, but there are good and bad independent shops as well. Also the dealership will tell you if it is covered or not.

WHAT DO I DO???? :shrug: :unsure:

I even checked Ford Parts online...Can't seem to find the steering sensor that I need.

Edited by resq330

If the sensor were not reasonably functional it would not pass the monitor testing and VSC would be DISABLED.

WHAT DO I DO???? :shrug: :unsure:

I even checked Ford Parts online...Can't seem to find the steering sensor that I need.

That was not ment for you, it was ment for the guy with the problem with taking your car to a dealership. Sorry if you thought i was replying to you.

• 6 years later...