ford edge vista roof problems

deb3639

hi,

I'm looking for owners of 2007 ford edge that have had their vista roofs shatter for no apparent reason.

email me at deb@kingcon.com

Automotive glass can and will shatter for seemingly no reason - moonroofs, rear hatches, etc. It's not normal but it does happen occasionally from hidden damage, defective glass, etc.

That said I don't remember hearing anyone else with that problem.

Yeah they're some that have had the BAMR shatter. Ours is A OK though.

it happened to my vista yesterday. i had driven about 5 minutes and had reached freeway speed then BAM!!! the vista had shattered all the way around the mount. luckily the safety glass kept it from falling in on me. i wasn't near any bridges or behind any vehicles large enough to throw up an object big enough to do the damage inflicted. there was no indication of an impact anywhere. its sitting down at my dealer right now waiting for a response from ford.....

08 edge limited

24,700m

disturbing stuff.. never heard of this on the BAMR until this thread. if someone would not have chimed in that it happened to them, I would have called shenanigans.

How do you get enough body flex to crack your roof just driving down the freeway??/

might buy the expansion joint theory. it started out as a cold day in seattle then became sunny. drove the edge out of the shade across a mile and a half or so of not so well maintained roads (industrial district)albeit no more than 30mph- end of the month lots of motorcycle cops trying to write a ticket :banghead: then entered the freeway, 1 minute later millions of stars instead of a sunroof.

might buy the expansion joint theory. it started out as a cold day in seattle then became sunny. drove the edge out of the shade across a mile and a half or so of not so well maintained roads (industrial district)albeit no more than 30mph- end of the month lots of motorcycle cops trying to write a ticket :banghead: then entered the freeway, 1 minute later millions of stars instead of a sunroof.

I'm going to pep boys to buy that cheap ass window tint film to install on the BAMR. AT least this will hold the shards of glass if it decides to shatter !!! :censored:

Edited by MustangMike

I'm going to pep boys to buy that cheap ass window tint film to install on the BAMR. AT least this will hold the shards of glass if it decides to shatter !!! :censored:

That's why they use safety glass. It will either stay in place like the windshield due to a layer of plastic embedded in the glass or it will shatter into tiny round pieces like the side windows. No sharp edges either way.

• 3 years later...

Hello All! I have started a petition on Change.org for this problem we all seem to be experiencing, Please take the time to sign it and see if we can get FORD to look it over. Thank you

I have the same problem with the sun roof not closing all the way got a quote from dealership of 2000 +

http://www.change.org/petitions/ford-edge-vista-roof-needs-recall

• 1 year later...

I have a 2011 ford edge with the vista roof and I have to say I am completely displeased with what I have been finding on the Internet. I am amazed at the amount of problems peoe are having with the vista roof and yet years later the problem still exists. Just before my warranty was up I noticed the roof was not closing. I took it to the ford dealer they had to replace all of the gears stating that there was dirt build up and it broke the moving parts to open and close the roof. I was told to have the tracks cleaned by them every once in a while to keep it running smoothly at approximately $200 a pop. I decided an unfortunate decision, since 1 of the reasons I bought and paid extra for the edge was for the vista roof, to not use it as often. I now, maybe 4 months later have opened it a handful of times and it doesn't want to shut. I believe ford has failed with this issue. What on earth warrants a recall if it isn't hundreds of people dissatisfied with a product that fails to work properly. My thought is shame on you ford for not taking care of your customers. I am 35 and currently own 4 fords bought new and have over the years owned 4 others. I feel that I have held up my end of the bargain on being a loyal customer. I would appreciate the same courtesy in knowing that ford doesn't turn a blind eye to something that is CLEARLY an issue. Just put in ford vista roof and the amount of disgruntled customers are pages long. Step up to the plate ford. Do the right thing and fix this issue or stop producing the vista roof.

I have a 2011 ford edge with the vista roof and I have to say I am completely displeased with what I have been finding on the Internet. I am amazed at the amount of problems peoe are having with the vista roof and yet years later the problem still exists. Just before my warranty was up I noticed the roof was not closing. I took it to the ford dealer they had to replace all of the gears stating that there was dirt build up and it broke the moving parts to open and close the roof. I was told to have the tracks cleaned by them every once in a while to keep it running smoothly at approximately $200 a pop. I decided an unfortunate decision, since 1 of the reasons I bought and paid extra for the edge was for the vista roof, to not use it as often. I now, maybe 4 months later have opened it a handful of times and it doesn't want to shut. I believe ford has failed with this issue. What on earth warrants a recall if it isn't hundreds of people dissatisfied with a product that fails to work properly. My thought is shame on you ford for not taking care of your customers. I am 35 and currently own 4 fords bought new and have over the years owned 4 others. I feel that I have held up my end of the bargain on being a loyal customer. I would appreciate the same courtesy in knowing that ford doesn't turn a blind eye to something that is CLEARLY an issue. Just put in ford vista roof and the amount of disgruntled customers are pages long. Step up to the plate ford. Do the right thing and fix this issue or stop producing the vista roof.