2012 Ecoboost - P0299 - After long trip

murky024

So it seems like my turbo is starting to "act up" After driving 3.5 hours one way to see totality of the solar eclipse, my car was WAY down on power and threw a P0299 code. Unfortunately I didnt have my OBD2 scanner with me at the time so I couldnt log boost but it felt like there was 0 and it was "all motor".

This morning, I cleared the codes and logged data and saw boost hitting ~10psi or so at max. So, it seems like my P0299 is intermittent which leads me to believe its gunked up waste gate or something along those lines. Anyone have suggestions on how best to try and clean or resolve this? Car is low mileage (82,000) as I work from home and we rarely use it because of our family size. I keep up with regular maintenance, with regular fluid changes and synthetic only oil since 8,000 miles as I bought it lightly used in 2013.

I haven't done intake valve cleaning yet but I am planning to do that soon and put on a oil catch can. If anyone has recommendations for the 2012 as I know that first-gen Ecoboost is a little unique for Edge models.

the turbo vehicles i work on have started presenting with this problem, and so far its been the vacuum diaphragm that actuates the wastegate control that fails.

no longer holds vacuum, so it does not pull the flap shut to force all flow through the turbine.

different brand & model but worth a look as a first thing to eliminate

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Cerberus said:

the turbo vehicles i work on have started presenting with this problem, and so far its been the vacuum diaphragm that actuates the wastegate control that fails.

no longer holds vacuum, so it does not pull the flap shut to force all flow through the turbine.

different brand & model but worth a look as a first thing to eliminate

Thanks, I will put it up on ramps to see if I can actuate it manually or with vacuum.

I am curious about catch can install for those with experience on this 2012 ecoboost. The little I know about these engines is 2012 was unique for the Edge as in 2015+ they had a new revision. Will the catch cans for the later models work on the 2012, following similar instructions?

Edit:

I edited the date as I think the edge moved to 2015 for open-deck...

Edited by murky024

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Ok, so I did the turbo swap, intake cleaning, and new valve cover gaskets while I was in there... My problem was the waste gate. Even when the actuator was closed the waste gate could flap open because of the slop in the arm connecting the waste gate.

I tried to drop the turbo without taking the axle out, but it was made so much easier to drop the axle as it gave so much room. I also needed to buy a new Dorman V-Band clamp Part# 903301, as the Ford one was too narrow for the Mahle turbo. I am guessing they beefed up the turbo flange thickness after mine was built (9/2011). I recommend having a M14x1.5 tap and die set around as I had to chase and clean out the threads of the block and banjo bolt for the coolant feed line.

I will also add I bought and installed the J&L Oil Separator catch can. You can't follow their install instructions as its for a 2015+ but the bracket was easily used to mount on a bolt holding the air intake duct to the rad support.

20240421_074007.thumb.jpg.db97cb556c285a85c8c0c9fe264c3fe3.jpg

Edited by murky024