2017 EDGE TITANIUM STEERING BIND

I have been dealing with a unique steering issue in my 2017 Edge for the past few months. I had work done on the car (rebuilt transmission, leading to a brand new transmission) and noticed different steering after the maintenance. Steering seems to jerk back and forth more than normal going over irregular surfaces (wavy road, steep driveway, etc.). The main difference is on a constant turn, when reversing the wheel after completing the turn, the wheel seems to have a bind and does not want to turn in the other direction. Once slight force is used to break the bind, the wheel wants to continue in the new direction. I have taken it back to the dealership numerous times and cannot seem to find an issue. Have had the car re-aligned 2 times and reset the lane keeping assist as well. I drive with the lane keeping off and have tested this issue with it both on and off (slightly different feel than that of the lane keeping assist). There is also a small clunking noise near the drivers side front end during aggressive left turns (usually noticed at slow speeds). This may be unrelated but figured I would include it. Dealership said everything is torqued correctly and the whole front end seems to be perfectly fine. Any help would be appreciated!

• Like 1

Welcome to the Forum, @dukester4413!

Slow-speed driver side clunk may be front strut upper bearing in need of replacement.

If dealership work is not cause of the steering-snag symptom, per @omar302's concern, it could be the steering rack.

If Edge is FWD, you could try putting the front end up on jack stands, to see if steering-snag symptom is present without weight bearing on the front suspension.

Good luck!

Edited by Haz