so i leave my cars unlocked quite a bit .. for personal reasons. i left my 2016 edge unlocked as usual. i walked up to it with the fob in my pocket .. and sure enough .. it proceeded to lock all the doors. that seem almost absurd to me. what gives?

if you didn't touch the area on top of the handles that are used to lock it with proximity of the Intelligent Access fob, I guess that could mean that one of them is busted and always trying to lock it, and once the fob is close enough it can finally lock? When you unlocked it, did it relock? Proximity just enables it to be locked or unlocked using the touch points.

• Like 2

While it's possible an unintentional push of the IA fob's locking-button was the cause -- if it reoccurs, perhaps you can notice if any of the visual/audible feedback, described in the below-attached 2016 Edge Workshop Manual document, might indicate a cause...

Power Door Locking Feedback

The exterior lamps and horn provide visual and audible feedback when unlocking and locking the doors under certain circumstances. Refer to the following table:

NOTE: The mislock feature (if equipped) sounds the horn twice (no turn signal flash) if the hood, liftgate or any door is ajar when the lock button is pressed on a valid programmed RKE transmitter. This feature can be configured on/off through the message center.

Action Status of Door(s) Status of Liftgate Status of Hood Visual/Audible Feedback
Press the lock button on the door lock control switch Open Closed Closed A short flash of the turn signals after all the doors are closed.
Press 7/8 and 9/0 on the keyless entry keypad Closed Closed Closed A short flash of the turn signals.
Press the unlock button on a RKE transmitter Closed Closed Closed A long flash of the turn signals.
Press the lock button on a RKE transmitter Closed Closed Closed A short flash of the turn signals.
Press the lock button on a RKE transmitter Open Closed Closed A short flash of the turn signals after all the doors are closed.
Press the lock button on a RKE transmitter Closed Open Closed A short flash of the turn signals after the liftgate is closed.
Press the lock button on a RKE transmitter Closed Closed Open A short flash of the turn signals after the hood is closed.
Press the lock button on a RKE transmitter twice within 3 seconds Closed Closed Closed The horn chirps twice and the turn signals flash twice.
Press the lock button on a RKE transmitter twice within 3 seconds Open Closed Closed The horn immediately chirps twice and the turn signals flash twice after all the doors are closed.
Press the lock button on a RKE transmitter twice within 3 seconds Closed Open Closed The horn immediately chirps twice and the turn signals flash twice after the liftgate is closed.
Press the lock button on a RKE transmitter twice within 3 seconds Closed Closed Open The horn immediately chirps twice and the turn signals flash twice after the hood is closed.

Good luck!

Handles, Locks, Latches and Entry Systems - System Operation and Component Description - 2016 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

• Like 3

i tried again. unlocked the car with the fob. pressed it twice to unlock all doors and went inside. then walked out later with no fob .. still unlocked. then walked out with fob in top pocket. it did not lock this time. maybe operator is at fault here? interesting info on the mislock feature. will report anything else. appreciate feedback.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1