Lowering Springs

I see that H&R and Eibach both have lowering kits. I'm partial to the Eibach. I had them on my WRX.

They sell the alignment bolts for the front. Rear are not available.

The real question is - Are you getting tire wear issues typical of too much negative camber in the rear tires? or are they OK?

Can you also post some pics of your lowered Edge.

TANX

Edited by 1nutsvt

On this topic, I am curious...

1. after you do this, is an alignment a MUST do?

2. it appears this is a total DIY project, yes?

Hi Lex. :D Yes, this can certainly be classified as a DIY job. Only takes some basic automotive tools and skill (plus a spring compressor).

And you should have an alignment performed after lowering springs are installed. Some people don't, but it is still highly recommended.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Hi Lex. :D Yes, this can certainly be classified as a DIY job. Only takes some basic automotive tools and skill (plus a spring compressor).

And you should have an alignment performed after lowering springs are installed. Some people don't, but it is still highly recommended.

yes, I have now read mixed opinions on it as a DIY - and that is only because you need that spring compressor. rentable at many auto supply places, but it seems very hit and miss with people in getting it to work correctly (of course, vehicle dependent results). I also read the rears are way easier to do than the fronts.

buddy also told me a computer 4 wheel align is pretty much a must do after such a mod.

but anything lower and you WILL have problems.

care to explain.. or are you saying you "WILL have problems" if you do not do an align afterwards?

the H&R kit is over 1", but seems many people use them "problem" free so not sure what you are referencing?

buddy also told me a computer 4 wheel align is pretty much a must do after such a mod.

Hi Lex. :D Your buddy is 100% correct. If you want to do the lowering spring install correctly, you definitely need to have an alignment performed after doing the job.

Edited by bbf2530

Hi Lex. :D Your buddy is 100% correct. If you want to do the lowering spring install correctly, you definitely need to have an alignment performed after doing the job.

I have some knowledge of lowering springs and how that relates to alignments and negative camber. Yes if you lower any vehicle regardless of the drop it is highly recommended you have an alignment done. What is not true is that any drop requires camber correction, especially in SUV's. Our cars are have significant gap from the manuafacturer and allows for such a drop without effective camber. Any drop up to 1.5 and probably even 2 inches would require alignment, but would not require camber correction.

I have some knowledge of lowering springs and how that relates to alignments and negative camber. Yes if you lower any vehicle regardless of the drop it is highly recommended you have an alignment done. What is not true is that any drop requires camber correction, especially in SUV's. Our cars are have significant gap from the manuafacturer and allows for such a drop without effective camber. Any drop up to 1.5 and probably even 2 inches would require alignment, but would not require camber correction.

Hi chardylo. :D Perhaps you misunderstood what I stated above, as I am not sure why you quoted my reply in your post. :shrug: I simply stated as you just did, that an alignment should be performed after installing lowering springs. Hopefully you did not think I was saying something different?

Edited by bbf2530

Hi chardylo. :D Perhaps you misunderstood what I stated above, as I am not sure why you quoted my reply in your post. :shrug: I simply stated as you just did, that an alignment should be performed after installing lowering springs. Hopefully you did not think I was saying something different?

My fault bbf, I was not debating your comments. I was debating an earlier one about having alignment done and camber correction.

Usually the issues results from lowering on "worn" in vehicles where the CV's are worn at a particular angle and then by lowering the vehicle you are in effect changing the geometry of the suspension in relation to one another. This causes the CV's to operate at different positions than when they were "worn" in. Resulting in breakage as a worst case scenario. Best case is there is no effect on the CV's.

Anyone know if the suspension is fully adjustable on the edge? Meaning +/- 2 (or more) degrees of Chamber and toe? Toe is always done, but chamber is not. I.e. on 95-99 eclipses for example, camber is set and you must get kits to make chamber adjustable.

Edited by Splitpi