Aftermarket hitch like factory??

I am aware that most of the hitch experts here prefer the aftermarket hitches, but I do NOT want a hitch hanging lower than my bumper fascia. I agree with the poster that was unhappy with his 11" clearance.

Does anyone know of an aftermarket hitch that installs through the bumper fascia just like the factory hitch? I recently saw a web site that had factory hitches for about $180 plus shipping, but that is a $50 premium (or more) over the best aftermarket hitch. Cutting the fascia is not an issue. In fact, the outline of where to cut is already on the inside of the fascia.

I don't need a hitch with more capacity than the 3500 lb class II hitch, so a class II that goes through the bumper fascia would be great if I could find one. !

Any help will be appreciated.

Additionally, anyone know of an aftermarket oil cooler kit - and has installed it? I haven't seen a factory hitch Edge, so I don't know where they located the cooler coil or if they used an oil filter adapter to tap the oil lines. I noticed that my Edge already has a HUGE transmission cooler installed from the factory = but no oil cooler or larger radiator.

Jim - newbie 2009 Limited (without hitch package unfortunately)

I too did not want to install an aftermarket hitch that hangs so low. I just ordered the factory hitch....even though i wanted the 2" receiver.

My main reason was for a bike rack and the rare time i need my 6x10 utility trailer.

I ordered from www.ford-parts-direct.com Its is a dealership Lombard Ford in Winsted, CT. But i was talking to Scott a parts rep there and he had mentioned that there might be something coming soon regarding those coolers.

I was also questioning him about the plug in the rear under the bumper. It has the Yellow, Green, Brown and White on the four coners and some more prongs in the middle.

According to the Edge owner's manual:

FUSE 9 – 20A Trailer Parking lamps

RELAY 11 Trailer Parking Lamp Relay

FUSE 24 – 10A Trailer Left/Stop

RELAY 22 – Trailer Left/Stop Relay

FUSE 46 – Trailer 10A Right/Stop

RELAY 47 – Trailer Right/Stop Relay

See Pics post-5784-1236733196_thumb.jpg post-5784-1236733204_thumb.jpg

It looks like you can do it yourself. you just may need those relays so you can get power to those wires. I would rather tap those then tap into the bulbs. You can always get the $50+ T Harness also

I'll put a post if it works.

Can someone who has the factory hitch take a pic of their fuse box and send it to me. I would like to see if they are the same 5L3T-AA relay and the orientation of the white mark. I'll go to the junk yard and get them.

THANKS

THANKS! Appreciate the great reply, Edge Fan.

I recently saw the Edge Factory hitch on some site for $180?? if I remember correctly - then add shipping. Don't know of a cheaper unit. Being a really serious cheap (frugal) individual, I hate to pay the huge premium for the Ford hitch. A 1 1/4 inch receiver is rated at 3500 lbs and that's the most one can tow without trailer brakes or other towing equipment.

The info on the plug in the rear bumper was GREAT! I haven't even looked at the plug yet. I bought the Edge for my wife, and it has been on the road every one of the few days she has owned it. I wonder if the relays needed to power the plug would cost more than the $50 T connector? Many years ago I had to replace relays and they were very expensive - probably because they were a dealer-only part at the time.

I have seen oil cooler adapters that screw on where the filter goes and then your filter screws onto the adapter. Adds about 1.5" to the "hang down" of the oil filter. There are hose connectors that are used to route the oil through the cooler. I would be a little nervous using hose clamps and a reinforced rubber hose to contain the 50+ lbs of pressure on the oil hoses. If you blow one of these hoses off, your engine could be ruined before you would know it. It would only take a few seconds of 0 oil pressure to do damage.

Thanks again. Keep me posted on your progress with the factory hitch and the addition of the relays and fuses to support the plug under the bumper. Maybe Ford will come out with a complete trailer tow kit containing all the "stuff". I'm not really in a hurry to do the hitch as I have an Eddie Bauer Expedition to tow everything I have. I just want the flexibility to use the Edge for medium weight towing.

Jim Mc

2009 Edge Limited

I too did not want to install an aftermarket hitch that hangs so low. I just ordered the factory hitch....even though i wanted the 2" receiver.

My main reason was for a bike rack and the rare time i need my 6x10 utility trailer.

I ordered from www.ford-parts-direct.com Its is a dealership Lombard Ford in Winsted, CT. But i was talking to Scott a parts rep there and he had mentioned that there might be something coming soon regarding those coolers.

I was also questioning him about the plug in the rear under the bumper. It has the Yellow, Green, Brown and White on the four coners and some more prongs in the middle.

It looks like you can do it yourself. you just may need those relays so you can get power to those wires. I would rather tap those then tap into the bulbs. You can always get the $50+ T Harness also

Can someone who has the factory hitch take a pic of their fuse box and send it to me. I would like to see if they are the same 5L3T-AA relay and the orientation of the white mark. I'll go to the junk yard and get them.

THANKS

Regarding the oil cooler ...

Look where your oil filter screws onto. That piece would have to be replaced with the oil cooler specific part. The oil cooler bolts to that. Then you'd have to run coolant lines to the cooler. You'd have no exposed oil lines, just coolant lines. Looks like a simple remove and replace job. Not sure where the coolant lines run exactly, but that ( to me ) would be the easy part.

UPDATE on factory Hitch.

I finally installed the factory hitch and only had one problem... You'll need a 18mm socket. Most sets have 17, 19 NOT 18.

The factory hitch is a actually a replacement bumper. I believe its worth it just to have something much stonger to absorb the impact. Knock on the metal of the tin can car and you'll know what i mean.

You'll remove the rear bumper cover and remove the bumper. Be careful with the joint on the quarter panel, there tabs that lock it in.

It all would not have taken me more than and hour if it was not for that damm 18mm bolts.

Cutting the bumper was also easy, their is an outline on the bumper to follow. I rough cut it with a pair of shears and then used a rotary cutter to cut and "melt" it close to shape. Finally with a utility knife blade removed the melted shmuts. I was approx 1/8 - 1/4" inside the line and it fits well. You also trim the bumber reinforcement styrofoam crap.

Regarding using the existing wiring:

The dealer did confirm that you will need those 3 relays. Part# 5L3Z-14N089-AA. and install along with the 3 fuses.

One problem... $24 for each relay... ouch.

I'm going to try to swap the originial bumper for those three relays at a salvage yard. The dealer told me you should find them some 2006 and newer Fords.... ON A MISSION!

Well now that I know how to remove the bumper, I going to try to get the factory backup sensors. Also marked nicely on the back of the bumper. That may require dealer ECU activation? It connects in to that plug under the bumper.. Or Just do aftermarket sensors. Thats a very important feature that I wish I had.

Next stop to Northern Tools to get a 1-1/4" drawbar w/ 2" ball and rubber cover and also order that bicycle rack.

GOOD LUCK.

Edited by 1nutsvt

• 3 weeks later...
UPDATE on factory Hitch.

I finally installed the factory hitch and only had one problem... You'll need a 18mm socket. Most sets have 17, 19 NOT 18.

The factory hitch is a actually a replacement bumper. I believe its worth it just to have something much stonger to absorb the impact. Knock on the metal of the tin can car and you'll know what i mean.

You'll remove the rear bumper cover and remove the bumper. Be careful with the joint on the quarter panel, there tabs that lock it in.

It all would not have taken me more than and hour if it was not for that damm 18mm bolts.

Cutting the bumper was also easy, their is an outline on the bumper to follow. I rough cut it with a pair of shears and then used a rotary cutter to cut and "melt" it close to shape. Finally with a utility knife blade removed the melted shmuts. I was approx 1/8 - 1/4" inside the line and it fits well. You also trim the bumber reinforcement styrofoam crap.

Regarding using the existing wiring:

The dealer did confirm that you will need those 3 relays. Part# 5L3Z-14N089-AA. and install along with the 3 fuses.

One problem... $24 for each relay... ouch.

I'm going to try to swap the originial bumper for those three relays at a salvage yard. The dealer told me you should find them some 2006 and newer Fords.... ON A MISSION!

Well now that I know how to remove the bumper, I going to try to get the factory backup sensors. Also marked nicely on the back of the bumper. That may require dealer ECU activation? It connects in to that plug under the bumper.. Or Just do aftermarket sensors. Thats a very important feature that I wish I had.

Next stop to Northern Tools to get a 1-1/4" drawbar w/ 2" ball and rubber cover and also order that bicycle rack.

GOOD LUCK.

I had read someone that got the factory hitch where it did not come with any instructions. Did yours come with them? Did you have to do any drilling?

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

THANKS

I work for a reputable tow wiring firm and my job is to investigate the best way of attaching trailer tow wiring. On my recent visit to a Ford dealer, I looked at several Escapes, Edges, and MKX's. The boys at Ford are inconsistent at best. It seems that after 2008, the fuse/relay panel was depopulated of the actual contacts for the trailer relays, and even though there is a spot for the three, there are no contacts, therefore no go with trying the relays. This applies to the Ford Escapes, and looks like it applies to the 2011 Ford Edge/MKX.

The 2011 Ford Escapes do not even have the 4 pin connector used on 2010 back. Therefore on these you have one of two choices, buy the Ford kit, that by the way requires about 4.5 hours of install time and splicing, or buy an aftermarket kit that will connect to the tailight connectors. I personally don't like tearing apart the tailights and inner panels to put in trailer wiring.

The same applies to the 2011 Edges/MKXs.

I believe I have found the relay manufacturer for the Ford Mini relays and am working on trying to get some samples. Perhaps my company can help get these parts for less money than Ford sells them for.

Now it may be possible to find the four wires at the fuse/relay panel and install an aftermarket relay panel that replaces what Ford does with their tow packages. I will be working on this over the next few weeks.

This week I will hopefully be investigating the Ford Escape 2011 with tow package to see how they do the tow package wiring. I will also try and find an Edge/MKX with tow to see how they do those too.

Any further help from this forum is greatly appreciated.

Edited by d2_willys