911 Assist and Vehicle Health

The 911 assist and Vehicle health upgrade has been available for a week or so. Had mine done today. The vehicle health report is pretty cool. Ran my first one tonight and it even let me know I needed to buy gas. :)

As a side note, it took the dealer 4 hours to do the upgrade. I was their guinea pig for this one and it took four tries to get it to install. Something to do with the Sync and radio not wanting to communicate with each other. Luckily a Ford Engineer showed up and guided them through the install.

I have been watching this unfold the past week or so over on SMR and wondered if anyone here had done it yet. Did they charge you as their test subject? if not, did they give you an idea of what they were going to charge as rates seem to swing wildly.

I figured I would wait until my next service and not make an appointment, but at the rate I drive, that would be a year away and my chick really likes the safety idea of the 911 function.

I have been watching this unfold the past week or so over on SMR and wondered if anyone here had done it yet. Did they charge you as their test subject? if not, did they give you an idea of what they were going to charge as rates seem to swing wildly.

I figured I would wait until my next service and not make an appointment, but at the rate I drive, that would be a year away and my chick really likes the safety idea of the 911 function.

Thankfully, I wasn't charged for the labor. They only charged 30 bucks to download the update. They said that now they know how, it'll be an hour for anyone else interested. Not sure what they'll charge in the future. Colonial Ford in Danbury, CT, for those interested.

• 2 months later...

I am kind of thinking the vehicle report might have a sketchy scam aspect to it.

why?

the dealer sent me an offer to install it for free. upon running it the first time, there are 2 issues that they claim need addressing. now, I know this would all be covered by the warranty. BUT, the errors claim they should be addressed and that there might be dash lights on that confirm it. no such lights and no issues I know of. but the Health Report claims there are. so.. imagine out of warranty you see this and take it to the dealer. CHA CHING

this system is already so buggy I would say..

my first report said 2 issues: Under Engine, Transmission & Emissions = URGENT: charge system fault and Malfunction Indicator Lamp and the second was under Check, Fluids & Filter = Urgent Low Engine Oil Pressure

BUT NOW, those 2 are gone and there is 1 new/different error: Breaks & Suspensions = Urgent Brake Warning Now

think about the ramifications of this.. IF I believed this system, it would cause me to visit dealer, then visit again, then maybe find out no issues at all, maybe make me change vacation or travel plans, but maybe no issue. This could cause me a lot of cost, time, effort!

So, are there issues or not? Which are real? Which will not exist the next time I run the report? So you set up a dealer appointment, setup a ride from someone, maybe take some time off work, only to find out... no issue at all. Or, what if like me you get some some serious warnings, only to find out if you run another report, they do not exist.

I just wanted the 911 assist. I ran a VHR and it spewed some BS about my ABS sensors as well as oil pressure indication. The VHR is only good if there is a recall on the vehicle since you would be notified earlier than if you were to receive it in the mail. BTW, I had to have a new sync module installed as well as other parts to get the VHR/911 assist to load to the cpu. It's fun watching the techs tear the engineers at ford a new hole because each acts like the other has no idea what they are talking about.

I gave up on ford engineers and the techs personally. as for sync 2.0 it's okay but I wish I didn't get it upgrade. And sync 3.0 just came out too but it's only for 2010 models, yet at the same time I wonder if they fix some bugs within 2.0 that current older model is missing out.

Well , sync's operation is iffy with the next gen I-pod. It works flawlessly with the first gen I-pod. Also, my wife has an LG shine and it does not enable voice dial, you have to say the number. With her old phone, the motorola sliver.....works awesome. Was told by a douche at syncmyride.com that apple has to introduce an update in order for the next gen I-pod to work "good" on the microsoft sync system. Also, with the shine, sync will download the playlist from the phone rather than from i-pod. It really is a pita, so I told my wife to use her old sliver and use her old I-pod in the car.....if she does, sync works like a dream and is truly an awesome feature. Seems like they are a few years behind, considering the 2010 models also will not work "correctly" with the next gen I-pod. I really do love having "new" people in my car and talking to her and she actually listens........people are totally blown away at this. Makes me feel Pimp !