Exhaust

I am planning on buying the Gibson exhaust (aluminized) because it is cheaper. I know it will end up rusting. Does anyone know if the cat back system can be painted with a high heat paint without any problems. I would plan on painting it black so it blends to the rest of my Edge.

Thanks....

Edited by Edge184

I can tell you this, maybe it helps and maybe not, but I painted some headers on my FJ40 and the high heat auto paint came off in a few weeks. maybe I did not prep the headers well enough and maybe, though the manufacturer said not, the headers were too hot for the paint. yes, I am well aware that the headers would be much hotter than a catback/muffler/last bit of exhaust tubing down the line you would want to paint black & will not reach the temps of a set of headers, but just an FYI. Upon more research at the time, I found many people poo pooing success with high heat automotive paint.

I would suggest IF you do it, do it ASAP upon exhaust install while the exhaust is clean and make sure to prep it well to accept the paint.

if you do it, try to post up before and after photos as it would be cool to document how it goes.

Sand the metal, clean with alcohol and use a flat black spray paint that they use on wood stoves. This paint is much better than the zip boys high temp spray paint. You will have zero issues with rusting. The paint can be found at any fireplace shop or on-line.

http://www.northlineexpress.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=5SA-8115

Edited by BlazedUp

Sand the metal, clean with alcohol and use a flat black spray paint that they use on wood stoves. This paint is much better than the zip boys high temp spray paint. You will have zero issues with rusting. The paint can be found at any fireplace shop or on-line.

http://www.northlineexpress.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=5SA-8115

You may know I posted some pics and info regarding my custom Magnaflow CAT system. I recently applied high heat black gloss paint to the muffler and piping from the muffler to the tips. I did not go further back then that. I will say it still looks good after two weeks. I also added some new tips that I think fit and look much better than the stock tips based on the cutouts on our bumpers. I will post pics shortly.

Sanding the aluminumized steel will take the sealing aluminum off of the pipes and could cause quicker rusting. So if you sand, then DO seal it as quickly as possible with high temp paint.

I have Duplicolor high temp paint on my turbo chargers and heat shields [for other cars]. After a while it does turn to like a "powder" on the turbo. The heat shields still look great. I think on an exhaust past the headers, it'll be just fine.

But the prep work will improve the adhesion. Here is what I would recommend.

1) Buy new and not installed.

2) sand with a course paper 60 to 80 grit.

3) clean thoroughly with alcohol.

4) spray adhesion promoter and paint prep.

5) Paint [2 to 3 coats]

5.1) Use a hair dryer on high or a heat gun to dry and cure the paint

6) Install the exhaust

7) Touch up scratches.

8) Drive it like you stole it to heat up the paint and finish the "cure" of it.

I personally would go with a shiny metallic color. I like the look of clean and shiney under the body as much as possible... but that's just me.

Edited by Splitpi