LED Puddle Lamps?

Bits of this are scattered about elsewhere, but here’s some new too.

For those wanting to install LEDs in U’r puddle lamps, but are reluctant to try :unsure: because of cost to replace damaged original, here's good news. Least expensive I’ve found is from Tasca Ford in Cranston, RI. (http://www.tascafordparts.com//index.do) Got dealer’s name & part number (3F1Z-13B375-AA) on an F-150 forum. Apparently this is an F-150 number, but I called Tasca & part is same for Edge. Cost $26.13 + $10.00 S&H. Now U can cut one apart :yup: knowing it can be replaced somewhat reasonably. The F-150 poster talked about using razor saw to separate lens from body. I think U have better control than with a rotary tool. I used an Exacto razor saw with .008 in. blade. Put lamp in vise with lens against one jaw. Cushion jaws with tape, close on lamp gingerly & rotate unit as U cut. Sawing with U’r hand on back of blade with saw turned backward & pulling toward U gives better control. (Japanese saws have teeth pointing backwards & cut on the backstroke. If U’ve never used such a saw, try it if U have a chance). Be patient. The cut will be about 1/16” deep & when U think cut is complete, gently worry the two pieces apart by prying with small screwdriver. While prying, if U come to a spot where U don’t see any movement U probably need to cut some more in that area. U won’t be able to cut at big black tab, but if U’r gentle, lens will crack :blink: (yes, I said crack) away from body. A word of caution. The second one goes so much faster (10 mins) than first (50 mins) that U need to check frequently to see if U’r cut is deep enough without going so deep that U cut into lip on clear lens. Reflector removal depends on U’r LED bulb. Bulb (from eBay seller EnKMall) is 8.15 mm x 31 mm. Cost $7.98/pr., free S&H. Even though only 4 LEDs, it's quite good, but hard to tell by pic. I'm guessing quality & intensity of color a little strange due to ambient light. Maybe should try in a very dark parking lot.

post-5957-1239806893_thumb.jpg post-5957-1239806911_thumb.jpg post-5957-1241193876_thumb.jpg post-5957-1241193909_thumb.jpg

Edited by dadrett

Lex already did this.

True enough & I think we all :party2: should thank Lex & lexington1 for leading the way. As I said, some is old, some new. Lex cited $50-60 each for puddle lamps. My dealer wanted $67.69. Now we know they're available for $36.13 (S&H inc.) ($62.26/pr, S&H inc.) There's a part number for those interested. New thread offers a recognizable name for topic so U don't have to search around. Best of all there are details that may give someone that little nudge :poke: to give it a try.

Edited by dadrett

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

For those wanting to install LEDs in U’r puddle lamps, but are reluctant to try :unsure: because of cost to replace damaged original, here's good news. Least expensive I’ve found is from Tasca Ford in Cranston, RI. (http://www.tascafordparts.com//index.do) Got dealer’s name & part number (3F1Z-13B375-AA) on an F-150 forum. Apparently this is an F-150 number, but I called Tasca & part is same for Edge. Cost $26.13 + $10.00 S&H. Now U can cut one apart :yup: knowing it can be replaced somewhat reasonably. The F-150 poster talked about using razor saw to separate lens from body. I think U have better control than with a rotary tool. I used an Exacto razor saw with .008 in. blade. Put lamp in vise with lens against one jaw. Cushion jaws with tape, close on lamp gingerly & rotate unit as U cut. Sawing with U’r hand on back of blade with saw turned backward & pulling toward U gives better control. (Japanese saws have teeth pointing backwards & cut on the backstroke. If U’ve never used such a saw, try it if U have a chance). Be patient. The cut will be about 1/16” deep & when U think cut is complete, gently worry the two pieces apart by prying with small screwdriver. While prying, if U come to a spot where U don’t see any movement U probably need to cut some more in that area. U won’t be able to cut at big black tab, but if U’r gentle, lens will crack :blink: (yes, I said crack) away from body. A word of caution. The second one goes so much faster (10 mins) than first (50 mins) that U need to check frequently to see if U’r cut is deep enough without going so deep that U cut into lip on clear lens. Reflector removal depends on U’r LED bulb. Bulb (from eBay seller EnKMall) is 8.15 mm x 31 mm. Cost $7.98/pr., free S&H. Even though only 4 LEDs, it's quite good, but hard to tell by pic. I'm guessing quality & intensity of color a little strange due to ambient light. Maybe should try in a very dark parking lot.

post-5957-1239806893_thumb.jpg post-5957-1239806911_thumb.jpg post-5957-1241193876_thumb.jpg post-5957-1241193909_thumb.jpg

What color are those led lights? blue or hyper white?

What color are those led lights? blue or hyper white?

These bulbs are white, but I can't say that they're hyper or super white. Keep in mind I did this two years ago. I went to eBay & searched for LED lights, found that enkmall is still in business but it looks as though his product line has changed. Where ever U buy make sure U get 31 mm length.

These bulbs are white, but I can't say that they're hyper or super white. Keep in mind I did this two years ago. I went to eBay & searched for LED lights, found that enkmall is still in business but it looks as though his product line has changed. Where ever U buy make sure U get 31 mm length.

Thank You... I just ordered a pair of 31mm off of retro-solution site.

• 2 weeks later...

I just ordered my puddle lights - do you have any other suggestions?

• 3 weeks later...

Great post it helped a lot, thanks! :rockon:

• 8 months later...

Does the LED bulb you used have another set of 4 LEDs on the back side? I can't tell by the photo of the bulb installed in the assembly.

No, the bulb has only the four LEDs U see. Surprisingly, the light output is quite good. It seems that enkmall (eBay) still sells these @ $6.38/pr. free S&H.

If it helps ya, I found that the smd 5050 leds are a decent amount brighter. Here's a link to the style I purchased. I purchased both types and compared them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-31mm-DE3022-DE3175-4-SMD-5050-LED-Bulb-Xenon-White-6428-6430-/260869112887?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item3cbd02c437

Edited by fishx65

Those puddle lamp leds will be really bright but they might be to wide to fit. Hope they work for ya! I've got the same ones you ordered for my plate/maps and they are really nice. Make sure you let us know how those reverse leds work out.

Did you order the festoons for the cargo light and rear dome yet? The ones I got from Dealextreme are awesome.