CD-6 stereo player problem

edgedout

2007 SEL+ This is the first thing that has gone wrong with the car. Going to the dealer soon.

I have the cd-6 audiofile. When I hit the "seek" button to change tracts, the cd will go from

tract 1 to anywhere. Instead of going to tract 2 it will go to tract 3 or 4 or 9. Hit the button again

and it will go wildy to any tract.

It's not a bad CD because it does it on all 6 CD's. Just wondering if anyone else has had

this problem.

2007 SEL+ This is the first thing that has gone wrong with the car. Going to the dealer soon.

I have the cd-6 audiofile. When I hit the "seek" button to change tracts, the cd will go from

tract 1 to anywhere. Instead of going to tract 2 it will go to tract 3 or 4 or 9. Hit the button again

It's not a bad CD because it does it on all 6 CD's. Just wondering if anyone else has had

this problem.

Sorry, I put this in the wrong topic section. Guess I really am getting old!!

this problem.

Ā 

Hi edgedout. :D You can likely save yourself a trip to the Dealer for service (on the CD player anyway). It sounds as though you have the CD player set for "Shuffle" mode. There is usually a button labeled "Shuffle". You or someone else probably accidentally turned it on. Simply turn off the Shuffle mode and it should work in normal linear mode.

Ā 

Turn off Shuffle mode and let us know if this cures your "problem".

Ā 

And one recommendation: A quick read over of your Owners Manual may be very helpful to you. There are probably quite a few things in there that would interest and help you in understanding your Edge.

Ā 

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Hey! Thanks BBF for the help. I did read the OM when the car was new but forgot that feature. Now I feel

like a dummie. While I have your ear let me get your input on something I've been wondering about.

Last month my stepdaughter took her 2 year old Chevy Cobalt(25,000 miles) to the dealer because of "squeaky" brakes.

They told her it was caused by dirty brake fluid and changed it at her cost of $115(not covered under

waranty). I told her I'd never heard of dirty fluid causing squeeky brakes. I'm wondering if this could be true

or were they giving her a song and dance? She said the brakes no longer sqeak.

Hey! Thanks BBF for the help. I did read the OM when the car was new but forgot that feature. Now I feel

like a dummie. While I have your ear let me get your input on something I've been wondering about.

Last month my stepdaughter took her 2 year old Chevy Cobalt(25,000 miles) to the dealer because of "squeaky" brakes.

They told her it was caused by dirty brake fluid and changed it at her cost of $115(not covered under

waranty). I told her I'd never heard of dirty fluid causing squeeky brakes. I'm wondering if this could be true

Ā 

Changing the brake fluid is a very good thing, you would be shocked at how dirty it gets.

Side not: Brake fluid change is NORMAL maintance for BWM, makers of the BEST stopping cars!!

Ā 

However the tech PROBABLY either took her Cobalt for a test drive and REALLY gave the brakes a workout or while he was changing the fluid he deglazed the pads, still good $'s spent.

Ā 

ab

Edited by ablb

Ā 

HI edgedout. :D Glad we solved the "Random CD Player mystery".

Ā 

Concerning the squeaky brakes: Like ablb stated, flushing the brake fluid certainly could not hurt.

Ā 

However, there are several additional points to make concerning the Dealership she took her car to: First, "dirty brake fluid" would not have caused the squeaky brake problem. Contamination/dirt on the brake pads or rotors is what will commonly cause most squeaky brake problems. And as ablb stated, a quick pad cleaning/deglazing, or a few hard stops will normally take care of that.

Ā 

Next, it would be unlikely that the brake fluid was "dirty". Two years/25,000 miles is certainly a bit soon to need a brake fluid flush. Therefore if thre was a problem with the brake fluid, a service like this should have been covered under Warranty.

Ā 

Changing it would not hurt anything, but it should have been performed under Warranty. And if not under Warranty, it certainly should have been done for less than $115. Essentially, it was likely an unnecessary service at a slightly inflated price.

Ā 

Your stepdaughter should probably have someone go with her when she has service done to her car. Or at least call and check with someone first when work is recommended by this or any other Dealership/Service Shop.

Ā 

Keep in mind that brake fluid is hygroscopic, what means that under normal conditions it tends to absorb water from the air, and degrade itself, if the cap of the little reservoir was not tight enough, it will eventually get bad regardless, after it gets water in, getting darker is not an issue. But the noise of the brakes was not because of that, noise are usualy due to bad quality pads, or damaged rotors/pads...Sometimes just dirt can cause them to make that sound.

Of course that changing it will not harm your vehicle (and most likely it may need it anyway, specially if it was dark in color) but to blame that for the noise was simply a misleading information...and I'm 100% sure that on top of changing it, if the car stopped making the noise, they cleaned and cut the rotors as well, it was not just a change of fliud service, probably was a complete brake service...that cna cost easily more than $115.00, at 20 per wheeel you have only 80 in rotor cut, add the rest for the rest of service and you will ahve a nice bill...

Keep in mind that brake fluid is hygroscopic, what means that under normal conditions it tends to absorb water from the air, and degrade itself, if the cap of the little reservoir was not tight enough, it will eventually get bad regardless, after it gets water in, getting darker is not an issue. But the noise of the brakes was not because of that, noise are usualy due to bad quality pads, or damaged rotors/pads...Sometimes just dirt can cause them to make that sound.

Of course that changing it will not harm your vehicle (and most likely it may need it anyway, specially if it was dark in color) but to blame that for the noise was simply a misleading information...and I'm 100% sure that on top of changing it, if the car stopped making the noise, they cleaned and cut the rotors as well, it was not just a change of fliud service, probably was a complete brake service...that cna cost easily more than $115.00, at 20 per wheeel you have only 80 in rotor cut, add the rest for the rest of service and you will ahve a nice bill...

Ā 

Hi kanatronic. :D If they cut the rotors and cleaned the pads, then yes, the bill is not outrageous. However, I was not taking guesses at what may have been done, or whether Edgedout provided incorrect or partial information. I was taking him at his word and trying not to play "yeah but...".

Ā 

Edged out clearly stated that his stepdaughter was charged $115 for a brake fluid change. Not a rotor cut or anything else. So I am going with the information that was provided. If he provides other information that states the Dealer did additional work, then I can adjust my advice.

Ā 

As far as the cap being loose: It would be a relatively safe assumption that his step-daugher did not loosen it. And since it seems she takes the car back to the Dealership for service, there is a good chance that the Dealership was the last to check the brake fluid (which due to transparent reservoirs, does not even require a cap removal). That only reinforces my belief that the fluid change on a car that is still under Warranty (2 years old with 25,000 miles) should have been covered under Warranty.

Ā 

Did his step-daughter misunderstand? Or did she give Edgedout the wrong information? Possibly. But you< I and ablb all agree, "dirty brake fluid" does not cause squeaky brakes.

Ā 

Therefore, until additional information is provided to show that additional work was performed, I tend to believe that the Dealership took advantage of his step-daughters lack of automotive knowledge and performed/charged for unnecessary work.

Ā 

Hope this makes my reply more understandable.

Ā 

Edited by bbf2530

Hi kanatronic. :D If they cut the rotors and cleaned the pads, then yes, the bill is not outrageous. However, I was not taking guesses at what may have been done, or whether Edgedout provided incorrect or partial information. I was taking him at his word and trying not to play "yeah but...".

Ā 

Edged out clearly stated that his stepdaughter was charged $115 for a brake fluid change. Not a rotor cut or anything else. So I am going with the information that was provided. If he provides other information that states the Dealer did additional work, then I can adjust my advice.

Ā 

As far as the cap being loose: It would be a relatively safe assumption that his step-daugher did not loosen it. And since it seems she takes the car back to the Dealership for service, there is a good chance that the Dealership was the last to check the brake fluid (which due to transparent reservoirs, does not even require a cap removal). That only reinforces my belief that the fluid change on a car that is still under Warranty (2 years old with 25,000 miles) should have been covered under Warranty.

Ā 

Did his step-daughter misunderstand? Or did she give Edgedout the wrong information? Possibly. But you< I and ablb all agree, "dirty brake fluid" does not cause squeaky brakes.

Ā 

Therefore, until additional information is provided to show that additional work was performed, I tend to believe that the Dealership took advantage of his step-daughters lack of automotive knowledge and performed/charged for unnecessary work.

Ā 

Hope this makes my reply more understandable.

Ā 

Ā 

I fully understand, and I just made that assumption, as you said, based on the fact, that there is no way that a fluid change alone will remove the noise from the brakes, as we all agreed, so it is not hard to imagine, even while the infomation was not given, that something else must be done in order to get the noise out...

Ā 

Of course maybe they just sprayed brake cleaner on the rotors and pads and you should have a quiet brake again, but who knows??? :reading:

The brake fluid has nothing to do with the sound the pads make when contacting the rotor. My best guess would be that a piece of dirt/ pebble became embedded in the pad causing the squeak when the brakes are applied. Brake fluid DOES NOT need to be changed at 25,000 miles. The brake fluid is a sealed system. Sounds to me that those bastards charged you for something that was not needed in the first place. Whats done is done.....I would take that Chebby to a different dealer for service next time.