Somehow my windshield cracked, and I don't know how it happened. I have the gold package factory bumper to bumper warranty. I called the local ford dealership this morning and the service tech said it probably won't be covered because it was done by an "outside influence". Has anyone experienced this or know anything about if it will be covered? Thanks so much!

Somehow my windshield cracked, and I don't know how it happened. I have the gold package factory bumper to bumper warranty. I called the local ford dealership this morning and the service tech said it probably won't be covered because it was done by an "outside influence". Has anyone experienced this or know anything about if it will be covered? Thanks so much!

Hi calise. :D The short answer: Essentially, any windshield damage caused by flying debris, road hazards, accidents, vandalism etc etc, are not covered under the New Car Warranty. So if the damage was caused by an object hitting the windshield, it is not covered under Warranty.

If it is damage caused by stress/flexing of the windshield (i.e. a stress crack), there is limited coverage for the first 12 months with no mileage limit.

The longer answer: You do not mention what year your Edge is. It is important to know. Also, did you buy it new or used? The reason I ask is that there is a 3 year/36,000 mile New Car Bumper to Bumper Warranty. Everyone gets that.

There is no such thing as a Ford offered or backed "Gold Package Factory Bumper to Bumper Warranty". This sounds more like a selling tool offered by your Dealer, and since it is not a Ford backed Warranty we would have no idea what that individual Dealer may offer as a "Gold Package".

Concerning windshield damage, what Ford covers is clear. The following cut and paste is from the Owners Manual concerning cracked windshields.

These are examples of windshield damages that are not covered by Warranty:

- stone chips, scratches (some examples are on paint and glass)

- windshield stress cracks. However, limited coverage on windshield

stress cracks will be provided for the first 12 months in service,

regardless of miles driven, even though caused by use and/or exposure

to the elements.

And of course, the aforementioned road debris damage.

Hope this information helps.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Call a car glass place first to find out what the "cash" price versus insurance company paid price is to replace it. Make sure its a reputable installer as the windshield is in fact part of the structure of your car and plays a part in accident injury reduction.

Depending on your insurance policy there may be a large deductible on the windshield, there may be a first one has no impact on your rates clause etc... Read your policy and figure out what you may/may not be out of pocket if you claim or don't claim. Once you call the agent they note the call on file so know what you are likely to do PRIOR to calling them.

In Canada I would expect the front glass to go for 800 - 1000 installed based on an experience a few years ago.

Good luck

Windshield damage is usually covered under the comprehensive part of your policy, not collision.

Hi guys. :D As akirby stated, glass breakage is covered under the "Comprehensive" portion of an Insurance Policy, not "Collision". Insurance rates would not rise for a glass breakage claim due to road debris.

I did not mention Insurance coverage because I assume that calise (the OP) is intelligent enough to place an Insurance claim (or at least check his/her policy) if the windshield replacement is not covered under Warranty.

Many States (not sure where calise lives) require Insurance companies to replace windshield glass with no deductible. Otherwise, the Policy stated Comprehensive Deductible will apply. I am also not sure about Canadian Insurance Law.

So as you guys have mentioned, if the cracked windshield is not Warranty covered, the next course of action for calise will be to check the "Comprehensive" portion of his/her Insurance Policy concerning glass breakage. Then call your Agent or Insurance Company Representative for claims information. Then file a claim if it is recoverable on your Policy.

On a side note, the only time a broken windshield would be replaced under the "Collision" portion of a policy would be if it was broken in a collision type of accident. Some examples of that would obviously be: Run into a tree, other car, pole, building etc, and smash your front end and break the windshield. Then the windshield would be replaced along with the rest of the damage under the "Collision" portion of Policy coverage. But in that case a broken windshield is usually the least of the problems and damages.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530