Jump to content

Edge Fails, Edge lovers


edgeFails

Recommended Posts

By 'fight for affordable repairs' I am assuming you mean to get the lowest cost fixes you can.  

 

I have a  few random thoughts about this:

 

- Avoiding the dealership is your best best to trim costs.  Independent shop labor rates will be lower in general.  

- Aftermarket parts are fine for some things, but for stuff like driveline components, and a few other notable things I usually stick with OEM parts as the quality is worth the added cost.

- Buying your own parts to supply the shop.  You can usually save a couple bucks buying your parts online (careful of counterfeit stuff).  The down side of this is that the margin you are saving doesn't support the shop you are using - which may or may not matter to you in establishing a relationship with your trusted local outfit.

 

The most important aspect of a low cost to own vehicle really comes down to learning about what you are buying beforehand and being okay with what you are getting.  Every vehicle will have problems from time to time - moving parts and all that - some issues just cost more to deal with than others.  I for one got caught by surprise at the cost to replace a headlight on my 19 ST.  I often opine about this to friends and long for the days when a $12 lamp swap was possible rather than the $1600-$2000 led assembly replacement I have now.  

 

Good luck out there - it is getting more brutal as we go it seems.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, TourGuide said:

 

- Buying your own parts to supply the shop.  You can usually save a couple bucks buying your parts online (careful of counterfeit stuff).  The down side of this is that the margin you are saving doesn't support the shop you are using - which may or may not matter to you in establishing a relationship with your trusted local outfit.

 

 

This is not a good idea unless the shop / dealership supports this idea.  Some do.  Many don't.  They make money on parts.  

 

If you bring your own parts, then you are out of luck if something goes wrong with those parts or something they support.

If the shop supplies the parts, and something goes wrong, like the part is bad right out of there box, or it doesn't fit as intended, or any number of other things, that shop will support you and rectify the problem.  Otherwise, you will have to chase the problem part on your own.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

3 hours ago, Samurai Edge said:

 

This is not a good idea unless the shop / dealership supports this idea.  Some do.  Many don't.  They make money on parts.  

 

If you bring your own parts, then you are out of luck if something goes wrong with those parts or something they support.

If the shop supplies the parts, and something goes wrong, like the part is bad right out of there box, or it doesn't fit as intended, or any number of other things, that shop will support you and rectify the problem.  Otherwise, you will have to chase the problem part on your own.

 

The retail price from the shop does figure into their profit margin for sure.  As you mentioned also, if a part is doa then chasing the issue is on you.  I have never personally ran into a case where a shop told me - we won't install that part unless we provide it - but it is certainly within their right to refuse.  I want to support my local trusted independent shop so most of the time, unless it is my amsoil stuff I am having them provide whatever it is.  

 

You are correct - not a good idea - but I think it is an option to save a buck - even if it does have some down side as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, TourGuide said:

 

I have never personally ran into a case where a shop told me - we won't install that part unless we provide it - but it is certainly within their right to refuse.  I want to support my local trusted independent shop so most of the time, unless it is my amsoil stuff I am having them provide whatever it is.  

 

You are correct - not a good idea - but I think it is an option to save a buck - even if it does have some down side as well.

 

I have.  Reasoning was / is they have done that in the past, and then the customer blamed the shop for the troubles with the customer-supplied part(s).  Then, of course, the follow-on fight between the shop & the customer.

 

It just becomes not worth the trouble to the shop.  Typically the customer is trying to cheap out on the parts they buy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...