When we picked up our 2 year old edge, it seems that the rear wiper has never been changed. We want to replace the front wipers with the new rain-x latitude wipers and want to try and put the latitudes on the back but we couldnt figure out how to even get the rear wiper off. Any help?

Hi imafordboi. :D From the Owners Manual (copied and pasted). There are also diagrams/drawings in the Manual, which may make the directions clearer:

Changing rear window wiper blade

The rear wiper arm is designed without a service position. This reduces

the risk of damage to the blade in an automatic car wash.

To replace the wiper blade:

1. Grab the wiper arm just below

the blade attachment and pull it as

far away from the glass as possible.

Do not use excessive force because

it can break the wiper arm at the

heel. Hold it there until the next

step.

2. Grab the wiper blade with your

other hand and use your fingers to

push the wiper arm tip through the

wiper blade center to separate the

blade from the arm.

3. Attach the new wiper to the

wiper arm and press it into place

until a click is heard.

If you find this procedure too

difficult, please see your dealer.

Not trying in the least to be a wise guy, but the answers to many/most maintenance type questions can be found in the Owners Manual. I am not trying to tell you not to ask questions here, that is what we are all here for. It is just that sometimes it will be quicker to get the answer from the Manual than wait for one of us to answer here.

If you were not given a Manual by the Dealer, you can download a PDF version here: LINK: Owners Manuals

Fill in the drop down boxes with your vehicle information and click "Submit". Then click "Owners Guide". You will see that you can also download the Maintenance and Warranty Guides, in case the Dealer did not give you copies of those either.

Good luck with your Edge. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Not trying in the least to be a wise guy, but the answers to many/most maintenance type questions can be found in the Owners Manual. I am not trying to tell you not to ask questions here, that is what we are all here for. It is just that sometimes it will be quicker to get the answer from the Manual than wait for one of us to answer here.

If you were not given a Manual by the Dealer, you can download a PDF version here: LINK: Owners Manuals

Fill in the drop down boxes with your vehicle information and click "Submit". Then click "Owners Guide". You will see that you can also download the Maintenance and Warranty Guides, in case the Dealer did not give you copies of those either.

Good luck with your Edge. :beerchug:

Well the night we brought it home i read the manual front to back after work and i didnt remember that spot. I remember about bulbs and tires and all that, but i will admit it was like 4 in the morning when i got off work.

I even keep the manual right next to my desk so i can refer to it, i guess i just didnt look at it for this because the windshield place that sells the latitudes said the rear wipers had to be serviced at the dealer. Plus i didnt try very hard because we didnt have the money for the latitudes right now and it just popped into my head as i sit here.

All excuses aside, yes i should have looked in the manual, i will admit to that.

I guess my next question that i know the book does not answer is; do you have to use that special looking unimpressive stock wiper? Anybody used the rain-x wipers on the back? i think it would be nice to have all matching nice wipers.

Well the night we brought it home i read the manual front to back after work and i didnt remember that spot. I remember about bulbs and tires and all that, but i will admit it was like 4 in the morning when i got off work.

I even keep the manual right next to my desk so i can refer to it, i guess i just didnt look at it for this because the windshield place that sells the latitudes said the rear wipers had to be serviced at the dealer. Plus i didnt try very hard because we didnt have the money for the latitudes right now and it just popped into my head as i sit here.

All excuses aside, yes i should have looked in the manual, i will admit to that.

I guess my next question that i know the book does not answer is; do you have to use that special looking unimpressive stock wiper? Anybody used the rain-x wipers on the back? i think it would be nice to have all matching nice wipers.

Hi imafordboi. :D So you can see the diagrams/drawings" (might make the directions easier to understand), look in the Index under "Windshield washer fluid and wipers", then "replacing wiper blades". In the 2008 Edge PDF version, it is on pages 295-296. Not sure if yours will be the same.

As I stated, I was not trying to be a wiseguy. Just thought it might be helpful in the future. Sometimes it takes us Internet schlubs a while to answer some people's questions. :hysterical:

I am not sure about the Rain-X question, since the Edge rear wiper blade is a different type of attachment. My guess? Most good wipers blades come with adapters, so it should fit. But be sure before purchasing, or be sure you can return it for a refund.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

• 6 months later...

The rear wiper blade is a PITA to get off. Once it is off you will be able to see why. The blade is held by a pin that snaps into the wiper arm. You can't see any of this with the stock blade on due to the cover on the blade. You have to push the wiper blade at a precise angle for the pin to pop out of the clamp mechanism on the arm. Once off you can use any blade you want. No adapters required. I just replaced ours with an Anco Winter Blade, 13". In fact I pushed off the plastic adapter that came on the blade and usually slides into the arms with the curved end. The remaining steel pin snapped onto the wiper arm and it's done.