Navigation Question

volez

Does anyone know if there is a way to disable the feature that shuts off the ability to do certain tasks with the navigation system while the car is moving?

Frequently I am riding as passenger in the MKX and want to enter a different address or find a certain POI and the ability is disabled until the car has stopped. Obviously, this isn't an option on the freeway.

I am able to override this on my Garmin Street pilot.

2007-2008 cannot be done.

Search the topic and you will find several threads on this, some very heated bewteen those of us on the pro change will moving and those on the anti change while moving. here is just one.

there is another topic here IIRC of a claimed device that was suppose to be able to be wired up to allow this, and other features, but I do not think it ever went anywhere or was released or used by anyone here to confirm it can do it. also, I think it was kind of $$$

Thanks for the answer and I will search deeper into this. I am in Law Enforcement and believe me, I have seen some crazy stuff being done while people were going down the road. I just feel that there should be the option for the owner, after all, there is more than just the driver in the vehicle at times.

Does anyone know if there is a way to disable the feature that shuts off the ability to do certain tasks with the navigation system while the car is moving?

Frequently I am riding as passenger in the MKX and want to enter a different address or find a certain POI and the ability is disabled until the car has stopped. Obviously, this isn't an option on the freeway.

I am able to override this on my Garmin Street pilot.

There is a voluntary agreement out there that (I think) all manufacturers follow with regards to what can and can't be activated while driving. So you will find the same issue on all built-in NAV systems. At least with the 2009 system you can do almost everything by voice.

Sure the car is smart enough to know that a passenger is in the vehicle, but there's still no way to ensure that even with a passenger, it's not the driver doing the inputting.

There is a voluntary agreement out there that (I think) all manufacturers follow with regards to what can and can't be activated while driving. So you will find the same issue on all built-in NAV systems. At least with the 2009 system you can do almost everything by voice.

Sure the car is smart enough to know that a passenger is in the vehicle, but there's still no way to ensure that even with a passenger, it's not the driver doing the inputting.

Ford researched this, using sensors to tell whether it was the driver or passenger. In the end they decided voice control was the best solution since that works for the driver, too.