Cleaning leather interior

jedi6

I have a new 09 Edge with the charcoal leather interior. What type of product could I use to clean the leather and perhaps "condition" it?

I am looking for an option that softens the leather, if that is possible, and gives it a nice appearance. I assume there are better options than just ArmorAll.

Similar question for the dash. What product would protect it without a greasy appearance?

Your leather seating surfaces have a clear, protective coating over the

leather.

• For routine cleaning, wipe the surface with a soft, damp cloth. For

more thorough cleaning, wipe the surface with a mild soap and water

solution. In Canada, use Motorcraft Vinyl Cleaner (CXC-93). Dry the

area with a soft cloth.

• If the leather cannot be completely cleaned using a mild soap and

water solution, the leather may be cleaned using a commercially

available cleaning product designed for automotive leather.

• Do not use household cleaning products, alcohol solutions, solvents or

cleaners intended for rubber, vinyl and plastics, or oil/petroleum-based

leather conditioners. These products may cause premature wearing of

the clear, protective coating.

Note: In some instances, color or dye transfer can occur when wet

clothing comes in contact with leather upholstery. If this occurs, the

leather should be cleaned immediately to avoid permanent staining

Clean the instrument panel, interior trim areas and cluster lens with a

clean and damp white cotton cloth, then with a clean and dry white

cotton cloth; you may also use Motorcraft Dash & Vinyl Cleaner

(ZC-38-A) on the instrument panel and interior trim areas.

• Avoid cleaners or polishes that increase the gloss of the upper portion

of the instrument panel. The dull finish in this area helps protect the

driver from undesirable windshield reflection.

• Be certain to wash or wipe your hands clean if you have been in

contact with certain products such as insect repellent and suntan

lotion in order to avoid possible damage to the interior painted

surfaces.

• Do not use household or glass cleaners as these may damage the

finish of the instrument panel, interior trim and cluster lens.

WARNING: Do not use chemical solvents or strong detergents

when cleaning the steering wheel or instrument panel to avoid

contamination of the airbag system.

If a staining liquid like coffee/juice has been spilled on the instrument

panel or on interior trim surfaces, clean as follows:

1. Wipe up spilled liquid using a clean, white, cotton cloth.

2. Apply Motorcraft Deluxe Leather and Vinyl Cleaner (ZC-11-A) [in

Canada use Motorcraft Multi-Purpose Cleaner (CXC-101)] to the wiped

area and spread around evenly.

3. Apply more Motorcraft cleaner to a clean, white, cotton cloth and

press the cloth onto the soiled area–allow this to set at room

temperature for 30 minutes.

4. Remove the soaked cloth, and if it is not soiled badly, use this cloth to

clean the area by using a rubbing motion for 60 seconds.

5. Following this, wipe area dry with a clean, white, cotton cloth.

I have a new 09 Edge with the charcoal leather interior. What type of product could I use to clean the leather and perhaps "condition" it?

I am looking for an option that softens the leather, if that is possible, and gives it a nice appearance. I assume there are better options than just ArmorAll.

Similar question for the dash. What product would protect it without a greasy appearance?

DO NOT - let me repeat - DO NOT use ArmorAll on the interior and especially not on leather seats. Just get a good quality leather cleaner/conditioner from Meguiars or Mothers or some other reputable mfr.

Small cap full of Woolite/Zero in a warm bucket of water. Use a microfibre wash mitt to clean it well and wipe dry with a clean towel. I use Lexol Leather Conditioner on a small towl to wipe the leather with and buff it with a dry towel. Do this both on the Edge & Porsche leather with great results. Got this tip from detailers on the Porsche websites ...

• 2 months later...

For anything leather in a automotive interior. fords deluxe leather and vinyl cleaner had to be the best. I personally owned a detail shop at one time, and bought gallons of this stuff. Sort of has a ammonia smell to it. But absolutely do not use Amorall or those green bottles that say the protect leather. Once you apply these be prepared to have cracked and brittle leather and vinyl. If you have applied these in the past it is most likely too late to go back. It's a matter of time that the surface will eventually look bad. If you decide to get a leather and vinyl cleaner, it should not be oil or petroleum based. Open the bottle and feel it. It shouldn't leave a residue if any at all. Even some of the top names in leather and vinyl care still have oil based. They just wish to sell the shine. They don't care about the long lasting beauty and protection you really need. Ford and Motorcraft is all we used on everything interior. Other then carpets. Don't used it on plastic or dash lenes either. Just Leather and vinyl, and rubberized components. It goes on dull looking, but buffs to a brilliant shine, and provides all the nutrients to the leather you will ever need. I hope this helps. Also another tip, after a few years if you have dulled and yellowed out headlamps. Just apply crest white toothpaste to a wet rag, and scrub in circular motions. Rinse with water and a wet hand, and you will return the plastic lens cover to its original clear view appearance.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I use Meguires Gold Class Leather cleaner and conditioner. Works well and smells nice. When we first got the MKX in September (it's an '07) it was obvious the seats had rarely if ever been treated. I've been using this product regularly since then and the seats are in much better condition, clean, and for lack of a better word "supple". We have the Greystone interior that is a bit more difficult to keep clean but we are careful not to eat in the vehicle and to not leave any items laying on the seats.

When I had my '03 Ranger, I found a decent set of leather/power/heated bucket seats out of a wrecked '01 Ford Explorer to swap into it and the seats were decent, but quite dirty and a little dry. After really going at them for several days with this product they came out like brand new. I was impressed with the restoration properties of the Meguires product so I feel good about using it in our MKX to maintain the seats.

I have heard that you don't want to use it very liberally around the seams because it can deteriorate the stitching over time if left to soak in. Not sure 100% about that but I have heard.

• 3 weeks later...

I use Meguire's too & love it (haven't on the Edge yet, but need to)... I have the black dash & black leather for interior....

Does anyone else notice that the airbag cover on the passenger side on the dash looks like a different color than the rest of the dash? Mine looks almost grey compared to the black? I was going to use some Meguire's Vinyl treatment on it to see if it helped, but 1) I wasn't sure if that's what I'm supposed to use on the dash to begin with & 2) I wasn't sure if it would make any difference (ie: should get the dealer to replace it via the 3 Yr/30K mile warranty)?