Need advice about towing with a 2007 Edge SEL

I have a 2007 Edge SEL, and I am interested in purchasing a 19 ft bowrider runabout boat that weighs 2690 lbs dry, its on a single axle trailer with surge brakes. I guessing the real weight is closer to 2800-3000 lbs. The total length of trailer and boat in 23ft with a height of 7'6".

My question is: am I going to have problems and/or is this going to be unsafe pulling this boat with the Edge????

Any advice or feedback you can provide is greatly appreciated.

I have a 2007 Edge SEL, and I am interested in purchasing a 19 ft bowrider runabout boat that weighs 2690 lbs dry, its on a single axle trailer with surge brakes. I guessing the real weight is closer to 2800-3000 lbs. The total length of trailer and boat in 23ft with a height of 7'6".

My question is: am I going to have problems and/or is this going to be unsafe pulling this boat with the Edge????

Just too clarify, the highest point of the boat is 7ft 6in, which is the windshield.

Hi outlaw. :D That all depends on several variables, none of which we have the answers to. The Edge Owners Manual contains very specific instructions concerning towing with Class I (2,800-3,000 lbs. would be overweight) or Class II (you would be at the upper limits) equipment. It would be best if you read the Manual and used the information contained in it.

There are weight charts and other very important towing recommendations. In the pdf version of the 2008 Edge Owners Manual, the instructions begin on page 225. For your Edge, look in the Owners Manual Index under "Towing".

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Unsafe? No.

If you don't have the towing package, then you'll be exceeding the weight limit that Ford recommends for the vehicle. Personally, if you live in an area where it's relatively flat, then I don't think the lack of a tranny and oil cooler will hurt you, especially if you are using synthetic fluids.

I'm wondering how long it will take for the "YOU"LL DESTROY YOUR CAR!!" posts. My personal favorite is "Get a truck"

The vehicle is equipped with a towing package.

Thanks for the advice, please keep them coming.

Yes I would like to have a truck but I only need to be able to pull this boat twice a year (200 miles each way) and take it in and out of the boat launch which is only a 5 mile drive.

• 2 weeks later...

Is 2700lbs including the trailer? If it is you are good. If is not then take the boat to a truck stop they usally have scales. You pay $10 and they will let you know. If you are under 3500 you are good.

Here is mine. I think i am under 3k. It tows well.

post-4615-1247501257_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Digging up a slightly old post... but I guess we'll be testing our '07 SEL+ with tow package soon. My wife called and told me that I now own a boat. We'd been looking, but she's the "Master Negotiator" in our house, so I'd pick them out, and she'd work on the price... I guess she got a deal she liked this morning.

It's a 17.5' with a weight of 2325 (incl trailer) according to the manufacturers web site. the closest boat ramp to us is less than 2 miles from the house (Lake Allatoona, GA), so we don't have to go far. The ramps are kind of steep, so that's my only concern is pulling it back out when done.

I've got a '01 F-250 Crew Cab Diesel 4x4 that I can use, but we also have a 26' travel trailer and it would be nice to be able to pull the travel trail with the F-250 and the boat with the Edge. I can always put in and pull it out with the truck after we get to camp, I guess.

Digging up a slightly old post... but I guess we'll be testing our '07 SEL+ with tow package soon. My wife called and told me that I now own a boat. We'd been looking, but she's the "Master Negotiator" in our house, so I'd pick them out, and she'd work on the price... I guess she got a deal she liked this morning.

It's a 17.5' with a weight of 2325 (incl trailer) according to the manufacturers web site. the closest boat ramp to us is less than 2 miles from the house (Lake Allatoona, GA), so we don't have to go far. The ramps are kind of steep, so that's my only concern is pulling it back out when done.

I've got a '01 F-250 Crew Cab Diesel 4x4 that I can use, but we also have a 26' travel trailer and it would be nice to be able to pull the travel trail with the F-250 and the boat with the Edge. I can always put in and pull it out with the truck after we get to camp, I guess.

I have got a similiar size boat in the same weight bracket and tow it up to 200 miles every other weekend to a fishing spot. The ramps of some are fairly minor to very steep and in one case we launched off the shore (semi compacted sand) and have not encountered any problems. My 2008 Edge has the tow package, 20 inch wheels and is AWD. I feather the throttle (while holding the brake pedel down intially to prevent roll back) and have never yet had a problem with pulling the boat out. My brother who typically uses a GMC 4WD pick up to tow and launch, tried the Edge and felt it

pulled as well as his truck up the ramp. One note: the front tires will slip slightly occasionally when initally pulling away but after the AWD kicks in no spin, no problem. Post a picture of your boat and Edge if you get a chance.

• 9 months later...

I have got a similiar size boat in the same weight bracket and tow it up to 200 miles every other weekend to a fishing spot. The ramps of some are fairly minor to very steep and in one case we launched off the shore (semi compacted sand) and have not encountered any problems. My 2008 Edge has the tow package, 20 inch wheels and is AWD. I feather the throttle (while holding the brake pedel down intially to prevent roll back) and have never yet had a problem with pulling the boat out. My brother who typically uses a GMC 4WD pick up to tow and launch, tried the Edge and felt it

pulled as well as his truck up the ramp. One note: the front tires will slip slightly occasionally when initally pulling away but after the AWD kicks in no spin, no problem. Post a picture of your boat and Edge if you get a chance.

So with a FWD 08 Edge with the tow package I can expect some minor slipping based on the slope of the ramp? Anyone towing with the FWD?

• 2 years later...