11,000 km trip

Just completed an 11,000 trip in my 2008 AWD LTD Edge, most of it (99%) towing a covered trailer with my MC inside. Now have almost 30,000km on it. Trip was from Ontario to NM up to Alberta via CO, WY and Montana and back to Ontario via the transcanada. Used no oil. Performed flawlessly especially when using cruse control and with the OD locked out. Was very comfortable at 102/105 km/hour (verified using GPS). AC worked more than adequately in temps as high as +38C. Could have used more tourque since gearbox was hunting a bit in the mountains but the HP made the pulling power very acceptable. One time (in the middle of a Manitoba mosquito infestation) the rear door refused to latch using the remote, closed it using the time honoured tradition of brute force and ignorance (Those Manitoba mosquitos have a way of helping you make quick decisions). Problem self corrected later after switching off the ignition to gas up. Note when I tried switching off the ignition at the time it did not work. Mileage was all over the place with a low of 14.1L per 100km to a high of 17.4L per 100km. Lows were coming out of NM and through CO. and in AB/SK in the prairies. Highs were coming across OK, TX and into NM. Only pattern I can see is the direction of the wind although lower octane regular gas in OK/TX/ and NM may have played a role. Once I clicked that their gas was 95 octane where-as everywhere else was 96 and I changed to mid grade mileage improved. However may be nothing more than co-incidence. Speedometer continued to show variations, sometime agreeing perfectly with the GPS and sometime reading up to 5km high. Trend there seems to be that error is greatest when accelerating and almost spot on when de-accelerating. Stopped at Flying J's most of the time and slept in the back so cost of accommodation was (for the most part) $8.50 (Same in Canada and the US) for a shower.

Sounds like a nice trip...Did you notice any engine temp gauge fluctuation when pulling the mountains in warmer weather? I think Ford should have installed an oil pressure gauge on the dash. Also, did you change the oil during the trip?

Just completed an 11,000 trip in my 2008 AWD LTD Edge, most of it (99%) towing a covered trailer with my MC inside. Now have almost 30,000km on it. Trip was from Ontario to NM up to Alberta via CO, WY and Montana and back to Ontario via the transcanada. Used no oil. Performed flawlessly especially when using cruse control and with the OD locked out. Was very comfortable at 102/105 km/hour (verified using GPS). AC worked more than adequately in temps as high as +38C. Could have used more tourque since gearbox was hunting a bit in the mountains but the HP made the pulling power very acceptable. One time (in the middle of a Manitoba mosquito infestation) the rear door refused to latch using the remote, closed it using the time honoured tradition of brute force and ignorance (Those Manitoba mosquitos have a way of helping you make quick decisions). Problem self corrected later after switching off the ignition to gas up. Note when I tried switching off the ignition at the time it did not work. Mileage was all over the place with a low of 14.1L per 100km to a high of 17.4L per 100km. Lows were coming out of NM and through CO. and in AB/SK in the prairies. Highs were coming across OK, TX and into NM. Only pattern I can see is the direction of the wind although lower octane regular gas in OK/TX/ and NM may have played a role. Once I clicked that their gas was 95 octane where-as everywhere else was 96 and I changed to mid grade mileage improved. However may be nothing more than co-incidence. Speedometer continued to show variations, sometime agreeing perfectly with the GPS and sometime reading up to 5km high. Trend there seems to be that error is greatest when accelerating and almost spot on when de-accelerating. Stopped at Flying J's most of the time and slept in the back so cost of accommodation was (for the most part) $8.50 (Same in Canada and the US) for a shower.

Sounds like a nice trip...Did you notice any engine temp gauge fluctuation when pulling the mountains in warmer weather? I think Ford should have installed an oil pressure gauge on the dash. Also, did you change the oil during the trip?

No engine temp fluctuations at all that I saw - I did keep an eye on it initially but then when nothing happened I only watched it sporadically. I did not change the oil. I had it changed just before the trip and as soon as I got home. I reasoned that at 8,000 km between official changes and the fact that it was pretty well all highway driving I did not need to change the oil. When i checked my oil after the trip it visually appeared much cleaner than it does after the normal 6 to 8000 km of general driving.

Are you using full synthetic 5W20?

No engine temp fluctuations at all that I saw - I did keep an eye on it initially but then when nothing happened I only watched it sporadically. I did not change the oil. I had it changed just before the trip and as soon as I got home. I reasoned that at 8,000 km between official changes and the fact that it was pretty well all highway driving I did not need to change the oil. When i checked my oil after the trip it visually appeared much cleaner than it does after the normal 6 to 8000 km of general driving.

• 2 months later...

I have noted quite a bit of difference in gas mileage when using gasoline with 10% ethanol added. On a recent 1000 mile trip, I would get as high as 22.6 mpg using gas without ethanol, and as low as 19.6 using the 10% ethanol blend. That may have been what was causing the difference in mileage noted by the OP.