Platinum Metallic Tri-Coat, $495

I got this paint as an option on my 2009 Edge Limited and it looks great. But what makes it so special that it cost $495 more than than the other paint options? More coats? or the Metal (Glass) Particles? Thanks.

Hi ebaker. :D Essentially, a "Tri-coat" automotive finish has three different coats of paint applied at the factory. The first is a "basecoat" of color. Next a second coat of transparent color, called the "midcoat" is applied. Last a final "clearcoat" layer is applied. So you have a basecoat, midcoat and clearcoat.

Standard paints finishes are two stage paints. They only have the color basecoat and the clearcoat. No midcoat.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

When I was shopping, I think I saw that one of the white colors was somewhere around a $600.00 upcharge?

Hi igcitng. :D The "White Platinum Tri-Coat Metallic" (which ebaker is wondering about) is likely what you saw, but it is only a $495 option.

The White Platinum Tri-Coat Metallic ($495 MSRP) was the only extra charge paint until Ford added "Red Candy Metallic Tint Clearcoat" for the 2010 models ($295 MSRP).

If you saw a $600 charge for paint, the Dealer was using some creative accounting methods (wouldn't surprise me a bit though), or added something of their own to try and justify the $600 charge.

Good luck. :beerchug:

I got one of those nice "upgraded" paint jobs... to bad it is one of the worst paint jobs I have personally ever seen on a car. looks good, until you get close and see missing paint, exposed primer, dozens of dirt and debris and whatnot spots under the paint. even had the hood replaced since missing paint and rust developed. I do love the color, but the quality is weak. kind of funny I paid more for it. in 2008 mine was like $495 for the "White Sand Tri-Coat"

It is entirely possible I am remembering wrong or the dealer added on more $$$. I looked at SO many stickers when I was shopping they became a blur. And plenty of them tried to mess with me-I did most of my shopping via internet. When I shopped I only looked at black ones until I found the one I bought. And it has a REALLY nice paint job, I got lucky.

I have the Tri Coat and love it. I had one small area that needed touch up on the little plate that holds the Tag Lights on the back of the vehicle. That's the only thing I have found-so far.

I have noticed this color is hit-or-miss on vehicles. On some the color really shines-on others it is quit bland.

Maybe it's hard to apply?

YMMV,

TW

• 2 weeks later...