Reset Sync Module?

So my wife has a 2009 Ford Edge, and is in love with Sync. She needed to jump the Edge last weekend due to a dead battery, and then the Sync and Satellite radio quit working.

Sync customer support said she needs to reset the Sync Module, and made it sound like it was common and no big deal. So she went to the dealer, and they had no idea what she was talking about, were fairly rude, and told her they'd need the vehicle for at least a couple hours, and couldn't do it today.

This doesn't seem right at all just for a simple Sync module reset. What is the process for resetting this module? Is it even something I could do on my own?

I just want to know the details so when I take it to talk to the dealer, I know whats going on and if they know what they are talking about.

Thanks.

pull the fuse for a few minutes, put back in as a first step. your manual will tell you what fuse is for sync as I do not recall, it may actually be listed here on the site in another thread if you search.

you could also do a master rest, also in the manual.

1. Press to enter the PHONE MENU.

2. Scroll repeatedly until SYSTEM SETTINGS appears in the radio display.

3. Press OK to enter the SYSTEM SETTINGS menu.

4. Scroll repeatedly until ADVANCED appears in the radio display. Press OK.

5. Scroll repeatedly until MASTER RESET appears in the radio display

6. Press OK. SYNC will ask you to confirm the reset.

7. Press OK to confirm. The radio display will read RESET DONE.

SYNC will take you back to the ADVANCED SETTINGS menu.

Note: Once a master reset has been completed, you must re-insert your USB device to access its contents.

Edited by Lex Talionis

I can't do the master reset, because I can't access the phone menu, it says No Phone. I think that only clears the memory to restore defaults anyways. The whole system is shut down from the battery dying, which I guess is normal according to Sync customer support.

Somehow the Sync Module needs to be reset.

So my wife has a 2009 Ford Edge, and is in love with Sync. She needed to jump the Edge last weekend due to a dead battery, and then the Sync and Satellite radio quit working.

Sync customer support said she needs to reset the Sync Module, and made it sound like it was common and no big deal. So she went to the dealer, and they had no idea what she was talking about, were fairly rude, and told her they'd need the vehicle for at least a couple hours, and couldn't do it today.

This doesn't seem right at all just for a simple Sync module reset. What is the process for resetting this module? Is it even something I could do on my own?

I just want to know the details so when I take it to talk to the dealer, I know whats going on and if they know what they are talking about.

Thanks.

"So she went to the dealer, and they had no idea what she was talking about, were fairly rude, and told her they'd need the vehicle for at least a couple hours, and couldn't do it today."

Not bashing you but lets take 180* look at your situation.

I have a structured day I come to work and I have 8 planned hours lying on my desk.

About once a week a nurse or Dr. will come by and have a “problem that will only take a few minutes.”

We have an established published procedure for resolving these problems BUT “I’m special and demand special treatment”.

I learned the hard way that some of these problems take 2 maybe 4 hours even multiple techs to resolve.

Here’s another 180* point of view.

I call and make an appointment to have our MKX serviced, when I walk in there is one of my nurses standing there demanding to have hers worked on RIGHT NOW!!

Sorry if I stepped on your toes but please no cutting in line and please take a #.

ab

but... if someone here can solve this within 30 seconds of reading the post - then so should a Ford tech. sans attitude. even more so having been told what needed to be done as per Ford tech support. even if they could not fit him in to do it - despite it being about a 3 minute procedure - they could have told him how.

I also have a structured day and I do get your point, but I always - always - will stop to fit in the easy ones like this for my customers... and the Ford tech should/would know this is an 'easy' one. Could have done it, and if it worked, made a happy customer. if not, THAT is when they say they need to investigate it more. which we all know, means they need the car for half a day.

all this being said... the OP could have checked his manual - assuming he got one - or asked here first before going to the dealer. the dealer is always my very last resort. the web is my first :)

personally I also had terrible experience with ford and their services which make me don't want to buy another ford for the rest of my life and if I could I would dump the car just cause the services that comes with the car is so poor. (Paid in full so if I sell I lose a lot and with the market used car trade in is a pain) They tend to treat you unfair and dumb and that's 2 dealers that I gone to now. Asking for a way to reset the system is not that hard for the service manager to just call the tech guy and ask. If it doesn't work then yeah it's time to wait in the line.

My previous 2 car Nissan and BMW, whenever I had something easy like a fuse,light out, or car jump the service manager actually did the work themselves or just ask a tech guy to come look at it real fast without charge too. Since they believe in treating customer well and they will always come back for their major services.

"So she went to the dealer, and they had no idea what she was talking about, were fairly rude, and told her they'd need the vehicle for at least a couple hours, and couldn't do it today."

Not bashing you but lets take 180* look at your situation.

I have a structured day I come to work and I have 8 planned hours lying on my desk.

About once a week a nurse or Dr. will come by and have a “problem that will only take a few minutes.”

We have an established published procedure for resolving these problems BUT “I’m special and demand special treatment”.

I learned the hard way that some of these problems take 2 maybe 4 hours even multiple techs to resolve.

Here’s another 180* point of view.

I call and make an appointment to have our MKX serviced, when I walk in there is one of my nurses standing there demanding to have hers worked on RIGHT NOW!!

Sorry if I stepped on your toes but please no cutting in line and please take a #.

ab

lol, she didn't just show up. She called ahead of time and they said no prob, come by at 3:30. So she got there at 3:30 and they didn't know what she meant about resetting the sync module, and said it would take a few hours, and the tech was leaving at 4. So they sent her away and did nothing and told her to bring it back in the middle of the day some other time. (she has a very busy schedule, as she owns a restaurant)

keep in mind she made an appt for this....went out of her way and interrupted her work schedule and showed up....and they basically turned her away

It took me 5 minutes to fix once she told me about it and I looked into the issue.

all this being said... the OP could have checked his manual - assuming he got one - or asked here first before going to the dealer. the dealer is always my very last resort. the web is my first :)

This all happened before I knew anything about it, my wife knows nothing about vehicles, and went to the dealer when she encountered a problem, but was smart enough to call sync support first too.

Once I found out, I did look online and at the manual first, and posted here, as forums have some of the most helpful people (I'm on like 15 other car forums). I knew I couldn't go through the menu and change it like people were mentioning. when someone mentioned the fuse, I tried that, and it worked. end of story.

Edited by dmb359

So you think every Ford dealer in the country is just like the two you deal with? They're all independent franchises and have nothing to do with each other or Ford.

Yes their all independent franchises but you also have to think about it this way. Ford does set a standard like every other franchises out there where they follow by the book. For your information I also complain about the service issues I have to Ford not just the dealer. Also like I said it was from my own experience.

Yes their all independent franchises but you also have to think about it this way. Ford does set a standard like every other franchises out there where they follow by the book. For your information I also complain about the service issues I have to Ford not just the dealer. Also like I said it was from my own experience.

You can complain all you want but there's absolutely nothing Ford can do about it. Due to state franchise laws Ford has no control over dealers whatsoever - and every time they try to exert some control (like giving better dealers a higher holdback) the dealer sue them and win.

Other franchises (like fast food, retail sales, etc.) do not have state laws written specifically for them and they have much more control over their franchisees. Also remember that a lot of Ford auto franchises are decades old.

Do a google on auto state franchise laws. You'll be surprised just how little control Ford has.