Sport 22" tires and snow

johnshiredman

My wife just purchased an 09 Sport with the 22" inch rims and I am wondering if we should get a second set of rims with all season tires for the snow season in Wisconsin. Any one have experience in the snow with the 22" wheels on the Sport that would like to respond? Anyone else switch tires/rims for winter?

Thanks,

J

My wife just purchased an 09 Sport with the 22" inch rims and I am wondering if we should get a second set of rims with all season tires for the snow season in Wisconsin. Any one have experience in the snow with the 22" wheels on the Sport that would like to respond? Anyone else switch tires/rims for winter?

Thanks,

J

Hi J. :D As with most vehicles, the type of tire is more important than wheel diameter when determining how well your vehicle runs in the snow.

In fact, even wheel/tire width is more important than diameter. The wider a tire, the more it will have a tendency to "float" on the snow (think snow shoes) instead of sinking/biting into the snow. Floating on the snow is not good for snow traction.

Another important factor: Did your wife purchase an AWD or FWD Edge? She will be able to get away with some things in an AWD Edge that a FWD Edge might not handle.

If "The Tire Rack" website is correct, your Edge Sport is equipped with the 265/40-22 Pirelli Scorpion Zero Asimmetrrico M+S tires. It is rated by Pirelli as an all-season high to ultra-high performance tire. It is a relatively wide tire and does not have a particularly aggressively siped tread for heavy snow use. It is what it is: An all-season highway tire.

If you live in a heavy snow area, then a set of slightly narrower wheels with narrower (think SEL or Limited wheel tire sizes) dedicated snow tires will get you around better in heavy snows.

But there are just so many other variables that we do not have the information to. Do you live and do most of your driving in a metropolitan area where the roads are plowed, or do you live out in the sticks where getting stuck could mean possible injury or death? Do you have a job that includes having to get to work no matter what the weather, or can you stay home when it snows, etc. etc.?

In the end, it comes down to a matter or personal need, personal preference and cost. Maybe wait until your wife has a chance to drive the Edge in the first heavy snow, then make a decision as to whether you want to spend the money?

I would also recommend checking websites like LINK: The Tire Rack and LINK: Discount Tire for helpful information. You can also call them for help.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks,

J

F.Y.I.

I have a 2008 with the factory 20"s and they pack snow in the rims quite bad causing severe vibrations due to the imbalance of the wheel.

I had 20" Harley Davidsons on my Expo and they too were horrible for that.

If you are running in "deep" snow i would rrecommend going to 18 or 17 inch rims if they clear the caliper. I will be making that change before winter this year.

Love the look of those 22"'s on the Sport by the way!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have 20" Scorpions on my F150 and the SUCK (even in moderate snow) the tread gets packed with snow and even a small snow accumulation in the wheels throws them out of balance. I will be picking up my new 09 Edge Sport next week, but have already ordered a 17" winter wheel and tire package.

Maybe it's the truck?

My 20" Scorpions have been near flawless in this weather and we just got about 10 inches.

Anyway a dedicated winter tire is better than an A/S any day of the week.

Did you order TPMS for the 17s? If not you'll have to deal with the annoying warning light.

Also... are you sure the 17" wheels will clear the brake calipers?

Edited by MOFSTEEL

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I have the 22" Sport on my Edge and drove for a few months last year in the winter and I do not trust them, truck was all over the place.....

anyways....if i was looking to replace them with winter rims and tires....does anyone know the smallest I can go..is it 17 or 18.......

I found 18" 09 wheels on ebay(for my edge sport 20011 that im still waiting for, its been about 8 weeks now!) but did not get the tires yet, does anyone know the exact size i need (tire) :banghead:

I found 18" 09 wheels on ebay(for my edge sport 20011 that im still waiting for, its been about 8 weeks now!) but did not get the tires yet, does anyone know the exact size i need (tire) :banghead:

Hi, you will need to buy either the OE (Original Equipment) size of 245/60/18 or if you want a 235/65/18 is actually closer in height to the stock 22's that you have.

Also, don't forget that you should buy the TPS (Tire Pressure Sensors) as well if your wheels that you purchased don't come with them

Livio

PS - I bought myself a set of brand new OE 20" wheels with TPS and tires out of Florida for my 11 Sport.

Edited by LIVIO