20" chrome clad rims in the snow

Sparky

Hi there,

Anybody experience problem with the chrome clad rims in the winter? Will the snow and salt damage the rims? I'm thinking to buy just the metal basic rims and change the wheels every winter. I'd like to hear from someone who has drivan with the chrome rims in the winter and if you notice any damage to them from salt or ice.

Thank you

• 2 weeks later...
I'd like to hear opinions also... Been wondering the same thing.

Just a reminder, if you decide to take them off for the Winter and put on regular wheels and tires (non 22") and you have Sync and Navigation, you will need to have the dealership set the tire size in the GPS config. I didn't realize that until they had to replace my Nav head unit and they asked me if I had non-stock tires when he was configuring the navi system. It also may be for the gas mileage calculation computer.

Anyway, I just decided I am not running mine in the snow and picked up an old Subaru Legacy for the PA winter season. That'll stretch out my warranty and let my kid have a car when she hits 16 in a year.

Just a reminder, if you decide to take them off for the Winter and put on regular wheels and tires (non 22") and you have Sync and Navigation, you will need to have the dealership set the tire size in the GPS config. I didn't realize that until they had to replace my Nav head unit and they asked me if I had non-stock tires when he was configuring the navi system. It also may be for the gas mileage calculation computer.

Anyway, I just decided I am not running mine in the snow and picked up an old Subaru Legacy for the PA winter season. That'll stretch out my warranty and let my kid have a car when she hits 16 in a year.

That's only necessary if the outside diameter of the new tire is different than the old ones. You can switch from a 22" wheel to a 20" or 19" wheel and new tires but still maintain the same outside diameter. When you go up in wheel size this is called Plus sizing.

I wonder the same thing. I am in the road salt capital of the world I think. My wheels already have bubbles and imperfections, so if they go bad this winter going to buy new wheels, not these though. Keeping them clean prob the key.

Is there anybody who notice any damage after winter, or maybe they are just designed to cope with the salt and ice.......

• 1 month later...

Here's what I found someone need to smack fords engineers over the head for a piss poor design :finger:

These chrome wheels do make all the difference in how the Edge looks, they are just a pain in every way.

I doubt that the plastic chrome makes them lighter, there is still a big ol' rim under it.

For $800.00 I would buy a new set of real chrome rims. If I do not buy a new Edge next year I am prob going to replace the plastic rims, mine are showing corrosion already. A long Chicago winter will prob make a mess of them.

Chrome Clad Junk

Edited by breye

• 2 weeks later...
Here's what I found someone need to smack fords engineers over the head for a piss poor design :finger:

Chrome Clad Junk

The wheels will be covered under warranty due to the corrosion on the outer edge of the wheel. I just had 4 new chrome clad wheels ordered for my 2007. I am told they have a new vendor and that the corrosion problem has been addressed and fixed

The wheels will be covered under warranty due to the corrosion on the outer edge of the wheel. I just had 4 new chrome clad wheels ordered for my 2007. I am told they have a new vendor and that the corrosion problem has been addressed and fixed

That means the wheels on my 2010 should be ok.

I will pick up a set of winter wheels and end up selling the 20's next spring anyway.