New guy in it for the knowledge-base

chevy-n-yamaha

I will crawl under there tonite and see if there is one, and look to see where mine was built if that is on the door sticker.

Do they install these to try to sell them or do the dealers use them to keep theft down? Would it be listed on the window sticker?

well, IF you had one, you would know it as it would be mounted right there to see like Jeff's. They are not going to hide it up under the dash as you need to be able to access it easily enough to put the key in. The ones seen on this site, and my old chicks I posted about, they were all in the exact same place. Do not confuse that port for the computer system access port for one of these you might see.

First post, 4th picture plug on the right is what I found. Is the one on the left what we are talking about?

I will look again and see if it coiled up underneath or something.

igciting, are you sure you are not seeing the normal diagnostic plug? Do you have two connectors under the dash or one?

First post, 4th picture plug on the right is what I found. Is the one on the left what we are talking about?

igciting - yes, the plug on the left is the one we are talking about. I doubt you will see it coiled up, they mount these so you can easily insert or take out the key.

Just an FYI - noticed in the Edge 2009 Owners Manual - page 222 has a drawing of the parking brake location - the kill switch is also in the drawing.

No, no, no, no. That's NOT what we're talking about. That is the OBD-II port. Go back and look at the original pictures in the first post.

Edited by akirby

What do you mean just noticing it? I have never had a reason to look down there until this thread.

see my post #27 where I said "Do not confuse that port for the computer system access port for one of these you might see." - which is exactly what you did. well we all have THAT port. we are all talking about the extra security port attached to the center sloping side of the bottom of the dash versus the diagnostic port off to the right up under that you are talking about. ha ha :)

as for just noticing the diagnostics port OR even the security port in question - yeah, I am still surprised you are noticing the diagnostics port as it is so right there. I assumed everyone, in the course of learning or cleaning their car - they saw that one at some point

No, no, no, no. That's NOT what we're talking about. That is the OBD-II port. Go back and look at the original pictures in the first post.

Have to disagree. The drawing clearly shows the wire tail connected to the kill switch. The OBD-II port is tucked up in the dash with no visible wire hanging.

Have to disagree. The drawing clearly shows the wire tail connected to the kill switch. The OBD-II port is tucked up in the dash with no visible wire hanging.

That's still the OBD-II port. If there was a kill switch then it would be mentioned in the manual and it's not. Go back and look at the pictures again - the kill switch is to the left and mounted vertically, not horizontally like the obd-II port.

That's still the OBD-II port. If there was a kill switch then it would be mentioned in the manual and it's not. Go back and look at the pictures again - the kill switch is to the left and mounted vertically, not horizontally like the obd-II port.

I have the kill switch in my 2009 edge, so believe me, I know what it looks like. I think what we are all trying to find out here is why so many Edge's have them installed, and yes, why there is no mention of them in the Owner's Manual. Like I said in an earlier post, they are very common in Canada, where the Edge is assembled. Do a search for used Edges from Canadian Ford dealerships and you will see "Kill Switch" listed as an option more often than not.

I missed the part where you said you were in Canada. This is obviously a Canadian thing. They are not on U.S. vehicles nor are they in the U.S. owner's manual.

OMG, No, no, no,no. When did I say I was from Canada? This is not a Canadian thing! I am in NJ. Please read all posts before jumping to conclusions. All I said was kill switches are common in Canada.

Jeff, based on your comments in the sport peddle thread, I don't think you have the kill switch. Look at the pics posted in the original thread again. The port pictured in the peddle thread is also shown to the right in the pics in this thread. That is the OBD 2 port. The kill switch is the second connector to the left in the pics in this thread.

BTW, I have hooked up a code reader to the OBD 2 port, so I know it is not a kill switch.

Edited by feelin edgy

Jeff, based on your comments in the sport peddle thread, I don't think you have the kill switch. Look at the pics posted in the original thread again. The port pictured in the peddle thread is also shown to the right in the pics in this thread. That is the OBD 2 port. The kill switch is the second connector to the left in the pics in this thread.

BTW, I have hooked up a code reader to the OBD 2 port, so I know it is not a kill switch.

No, I know I have the kill switch. I have two connecters, the OBD 2 port to the right which is tucked up in the dash, and the kill switch to the left which is screwed to the bottom of the dash.

No, I know I have the kill switch. I have two connecters, the OBD 2 port to the right which is tucked up in the dash, and the kill switch to the left which is screwed to the bottom of the dash.

And the owner's manual only shows one - the OBD-II port. If it was a kill switch from the factory it would be in the owner's manual, and it's not. That is aftermarket.