New guy in it for the knowledge-base

chevy-n-yamaha

Is that a removable cap on the front? Almost looks like an aftermarket USB port... Just a guess

no doubt it has a cover, but no way it is USB port. I have seen them before, and though his is covered, it is like a 14 port connection. I suspect Druck52 is closest on the guess.

I could have sworn though, thinking back, an old girlfriend had something like this on her Honda and it had the "key" in it - the male side - and if you pulled it, the car was dead. so, I could see it being dealer installed, but then when sold, they deactivated it so no "key" needed while on hers, they left it active so if she pulled the "key" out of the port, the car was worthless.. I bet that is what it is.

no doubt it has a cover, but no way it is USB port. I have seen them before, and though his is covered, it is like a 14 port connection. I suspect Druck52 is closest on the guess.

I could have sworn though, thinking back, an old girlfriend had something like this on her Honda and it had the "key" in it - the male side - and if you pulled it, the car was dead. so, I could see it being dealer installed, but then when sold, they deactivated it so no "key" needed while on hers, they left it active so if she pulled the "key" out of the port, the car was worthless.. I bet that is what it is.

well, looks like you got it closest. after taking it out with some pliers (and getting an ass-chewing fron the wife for tinkering with her new car) it's a 6 pin plug that says "Theft Lock" on it. anybody else have one of these? we bought it brand new from the dealer with like 35 or so miles on it. The dealer hadn't had it long (they didn't know till it was too late for them about the built-in DVD player/gameboy, Wu-Hoo!!).

post-7607-1253596757_thumb.jpg

well, looks like you got it closest. after taking it out with some pliers (and getting an ass-chewing fron the wife for tinkering with her new car) it's a 6 pin plug that says "Theft Lock" on it. anybody else have one of these? we bought it brand new from the dealer with like 35 or so miles on it. The dealer hadn't had it long (they didn't know till it was too late for them about the built-in DVD player/gameboy, Wu-Hoo!!).

car_pic.JPG

I find it hard to believe that came from the factory.

That's a dealer add on kill switch. Most dealers try to throw these in the sale for extra money. I make sure they yank that shit out before signing papers.

Picked up my '09 Ltd this past Sat. and also have one of these. How do they work? Dealer never mentioned it and I certainly didn't pay for it. It didn't come with any cap though, should it have? Thanks

Picked up my '09 Ltd this past Sat. and also have one of these. How do they work? Dealer never mentioned it and I certainly didn't pay for it. It didn't come with any cap though, should it have? Thanks

Simple - the ignition circuit runs through it. When you put the "key" in, it completes the circuit and lets the vehicle run. When you remove it, it effectively cuts power to the ignition so you can't start the vehicle.

Simple - the ignition circuit runs through it. When you put the "key" in, it completes the circuit and lets the vehicle run. When you remove it, it effectively cuts power to the ignition so you can't start the vehicle.

That's what I thought, so how is my car running with no problem, but there's no key in it. It is an exposed terminal end, exactly like the photos posted by PJFW8.

post-7582-1253714618_thumb.jpg

Go back to the dealer and get the key for it. If they do not give you the key or do not have it......demand they remove that ghetto installed port.

I am going to do exactly that. It does seem kind of strange though that these Edges from different parts of the country have the exact same type of kill switches installed in the exact same location.

yeah, but IF you get the key, they will have to reengage it to make it work - so likely, will want to charge you, which is reasonable. and, if you get the key, it will do nothing for you since it is disengaged - and we know this as your car works with no key and if it was engaged, it would not be without the key.

if they want to charge you for the key and to reengage the unit, and you do not want to pay, you could also just unbolt it and move it to up under the dash and forget about it. since it is wired into the ignition, I would be leery of cutting it out, so just move it out of view.

So this thing would be underneath the dash above the pedals? I wanna check mine.

Yep, and the more I am digging I am finding that these probably are installed at the factory. Kill switches are apparently very common in Canada, where the Edge is assembled. Let us know if you have it also. Like I said in an earlier post, it seems really strange that these Edges that do have the kill switch all have the exact same brand kill switch installed in the exact same location.

I will crawl under there tonite and see if there is one, and look to see where mine was built if that is on the door sticker.

Do they install these to try to sell them or do the dealers use them to keep theft down? Would it be listed on the window sticker?

Yep, and the more I am digging I am finding that these probably are installed at the factory. Kill switches are apparently very common in Canada, where the Edge is assembled. Let us know if you have it also. Like I said in an earlier post, it seems really strange that these Edges that do have the kill switch all have the exact same brand kill switch installed in the exact same location.

I will crawl under there tonite and see if there is one, and look to see where mine was built if that is on the door sticker.

Do they install these to try to sell them or do the dealers use them to keep theft down? Would it be listed on the window sticker?

All Edges are built in Canada. You can plug your VIN # into the link below and it will tell you that.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenance/vin_tools/default.asp

It's not listed on my window sticker and the questions you are wondering I am wondering also. I would call my salesman and ask him but he is on vacation for two weeks.