2007 Edge Transmision failure?

:banghead: 2007 Edge SEL w/21K miles

I was coming home with my wife yesterday. About 2 miles from home while merging into traffic, the transmision acted as if it downshifted all the way to first and then would not upshift. It also periodicly acted as if it were in neutral. The "Open-end wrench" idiot light appeared on the dash followed by the "Engine" idiot light.

We got the vehicle home, but it does not seem to be drivable and will be into the dealer Monday moring sharp.

Anyone experience anything like this???

I was coming home with my wife yesterday. About 2 miles from home while merging into traffic, the transmision acted as if it downshifted all the way to first and then would not upshift. It also periodicly acted as if it were in neutral. The "Open-end wrench" idiot light appeared on the dash followed by the "Engine" idiot light.

We got the vehicle home, but it does not seem to be drivable and will be into the dealer Monday moring sharp.

I haven't had any trans issues on the 08 SEL so I can't share any suggestions. That's a bummer even though it's under warranty - certainly not representative of Ford's quality. I would be interested in knowing what your dealer has to say (and does).

Andy

TCM probably went bye bye. Usually transmissions don't fail like this, the transmission's shifting is controlled by a computer.

I picked up the car today. Planetary gear failure along with some supporting parts, gaskets and seal.

The vehicle still has a slight amount of "Slack" in the transmission at low speed. This occurs when you are, for example, stopped, then begin creeping forward with traffic. No foot on the brake and no foot on the accelerator... both engine and transmission are seemingly "Unloaded". Then when traffic speed picks up and you nudge the gas pedal, it feels like the transmission forgets it is in gear and then all of a sudden pops back into gear resulting in what feels like a "bump" caused by a re-engagement of the trans. Almost feels like someone bumped into the rear end.

Anyone experience anything like this?

• 1 month later...

I had the same problem at about 35K miles. Took to the dealer and they replaced the "transmission control board" and it worked fine for another 20K miles and now the same problem is coming back. It seems to start with the transmission "skipping" or "slipping" in low gears and finally goes completely out where you can step on the gas and the car will not move but the engine will rev. The transmission seems to be totally disengaged as if the "clutch" was stripped if you were talking about a manual transmission but mine is automatic probably like most just stated it that way for clarification.

I picked up the car today. Planetary gear failure along with some supporting parts, gaskets and seal.

The vehicle still has a slight amount of "Slack" in the transmission at low speed. This occurs when you are, for example, stopped, then begin creeping forward with traffic. No foot on the brake and no foot on the accelerator... both engine and transmission are seemingly "Unloaded". Then when traffic speed picks up and you nudge the gas pedal, it feels like the transmission forgets it is in gear and then all of a sudden pops back into gear resulting in what feels like a "bump" caused by a re-engagement of the trans. Almost feels like someone bumped into the rear end.

Anyone experience anything like this?

I have the exact same problem with 2007 ford edge sel. The dealer replaced the tcm board but in stop and go traffic it is a nightmare and wondering if the real problem is the transmission control module or the transmission itself. problem stated at 35k miles and then board replaced but the "slack" or disengagement issue appreared at approx. 20K miles later at approx 55k miles. Feels just like someone rear-ending you at slow speeds where the transmission "slams" back into gear. Only happens at slow speeds like stop and go traffic.

Does anyone have a known fix? What would cause this issue? The tcm or something else?

• 3 weeks later...
I have the exact same problem with 2007 ford edge sel. The dealer replaced the tcm board but in stop and go traffic it is a nightmare and wondering if the real problem is the transmission control module or the transmission itself. problem stated at 35k miles and then board replaced but the "slack" or disengagement issue appreared at approx. 20K miles later at approx 55k miles. Feels just like someone rear-ending you at slow speeds where the transmission "slams" back into gear. Only happens at slow speeds like stop and go traffic.

Does anyone have a known fix? What would cause this issue? The tcm or something else?

we are having this problem, too. just bought our '08 SEL 3 days ago and already noticing this. granted, there are 43K miles on it, so judging from everyone else, its about time for this to be happening! taking it back to carmax on monday to have it looked at.

• 3 months later...

I had the same problem at about 35K miles. Took to the dealer and they replaced the "transmission control board" and it worked fine for another 20K miles and now the same problem is coming back. It seems to start with the transmission "skipping" or "slipping" in low gears and finally goes completely out where you can step on the gas and the car will not move but the engine will rev. The transmission seems to be totally disengaged as if the "clutch" was stripped if you were talking about a manual transmission but mine is automatic probably like most just stated it that way for clarification.

so, after the 35K transmission skipping and ending in not working with the yellow wrench not working...and tcm board for transmission replaced. Now at approx the same mileage later (70K miles now) the transmission seems to be starting down the same pathway as before with the "skipping" or slamming into gear from 1st to 2nd gear...(approx 10 mph)anyone else having the same problem and what was the fix? Took to the dealer for warranty repair but they said the could find nothing wrong. Wondering if that is true since dealers don't make much on warranty work.