transmission, engine, and suspension

esseffe

I have a 2007 Edge SE with AWD. I've been driving the car for over 40k miles, and while there are certainly some aspects of it that are nice, there are other aspects of it that really bother me. I would like to ask the forum commununity if their Edge behaves in similar fashion.

RPM jump when transmission shifts: While shifting from a lower gear to a higher gear during acceleration, it sounds like the transmission goes into neutral for a brief moment. During this time, the engine rpms make a sudden jump by anywhere from 200-500 rpm. I can see the jump in rpms by watching the tachometer, and I can also hear the engine speed increase. This always happens during the shift from 4th to 5th gear, and once in awhile, it happens in other gears as well. At first, I thought that the transmission was slipping. But I have had two different dealers look at it, and both have said that there is no slippage, and the behavior is by design. While this rpm jump does not seem to be detrimental to the performance, I just can't imagine why such behavior would be designed into the car. Is this how the transmission in every Ford Edge behaves?

Engine Ping: The engine is generally smooth running at idle, however, under moderate to hard acceleration, there is a definite engine ping, even when running 93 octane gas. Not sure if this means that the engine is not putting out as much power as it should, but I've always understood pinging to be extremely bad for the engine. The dealer said that this is normal, and is because of the emission standards that the car must meet. I find it hard to believe that in the age of microprocessor controlled fuel injection, pinging is something that can't be eliminated completely. Is the dealer pulling my leg on this one?

Popping suspension: When driving over anything more than the smallest bump in the road, something in the suspension "pops". I can't think of any better way to describe it. Once again, dealer says this is normal for the car. Anyone remotely experience something similar?

I have a 2007 Edge SE with AWD. I've been driving the car for over 40k miles, and while there are certainly some aspects of it that are nice, there are other aspects of it that really bother me. I would like to ask the forum commununity if their Edge behaves in similar fashion.

RPM jump when transmission shifts: While shifting from a lower gear to a higher gear during acceleration, it sounds like the transmission goes into neutral for a brief moment. During this time, the engine rpms make a sudden jump by anywhere from 200-500 rpm. I can see the jump in rpms by watching the tachometer, and I can also hear the engine speed increase. This always happens during the shift from 4th to 5th gear, and once in awhile, it happens in other gears as well. At first, I thought that the transmission was slipping. But I have had two different dealers look at it, and both have said that there is no slippage, and the behavior is by design. While this rpm jump does not seem to be detrimental to the performance, I just can't imagine why such behavior would be designed into the car. Is this how the transmission in every Ford Edge behaves?

Engine Ping: The engine is generally smooth running at idle, however, under moderate to hard acceleration, there is a definite engine ping, even when running 93 octane gas. Not sure if this means that the engine is not putting out as much power as it should, but I've always understood pinging to be extremely bad for the engine. The dealer said that this is normal, and is because of the emission standards that the car must meet. I find it hard to believe that in the age of microprocessor controlled fuel injection, pinging is something that can't be eliminated completely. Is the dealer pulling my leg on this one?

Popping suspension: When driving over anything more than the smallest bump in the road, something in the suspension "pops". I can't think of any better way to describe it. Once again, dealer says this is normal for the car. Anyone remotely experience something similar?

Hi esseffe. :D As Hydro correctly stated, these types of concerns have been discussed here in the past. How useful what has been previously discussed is up for discussion/debate though, as Internet diagnosis is always an iffy proposition at best. That being said, your best course of action may be to bring your Edge to another Dealership for a second opinion. In the end you will need to do that anyway, so might as well skip us non-professional (for the most part) middlemen.

The reason I say this? It is entirely possible that your current Dealer is correct. On the other hand, it seems that they like to say "This is normal" for a large variety of problems.

The first two problems with the engine/transmission are hard to diagnose over the Internet. What you are hearing and feeling is difficult to ascertain by us. As the Owners Manual states, a bit of pinging "once in a while" can be considered normal. But there are varying levels of pinging, from minimal to harmful. And it should not ping all the time. And you should not need to use premium fuel. In fact, our Owners Manual specifically state not to use premium fuel, as it can cause other problems. And most cases of transmission slippage between shifts would not be considered "normal".

The popping in the suspension? A "popping sound in the suspension over anything more than the smallest bump in the road" is not normal.

So, I would recommend a second opinion from another Ford Dealership.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

First, I'll say that I appreciate the timely responses from hydro and bbf2530. I did do some searching prior to writing my post, and I will note that there are a number of postings that talk about transmission issues, some related to transmission slippage, but so far I have found only one posting that accurately described the RPM jump in the transmission that I noticed:

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/index.php?sho...ransmission+rpm

In this posting, the original poster described accurately the behavior, a second person replied that they experienced it as well, a third person said sorry about your misfortunes, and that's as far as the discussion goes.

This RPM jump is not subtle. It is something that is noticed immediately, and is something that no other car that I have ever driven does. If it is a characteristic of the design as the dealers say it is, then I would expect every single Ford Edge to exhibit this RPM jump. I would then expect this forum (and the internet in general) to be full of postings and web pages discussing exactly what causes it, as many other people would notice it and wonder whether it is a sign that something is wrong. But this is not the case. I had to dig deep to find a single posting, and no explanation was provided. It makes me think that other people are not experiencing this behavior, that my Ford Edge is different from the other Ford Edges that are out there. And that is what I am trying to find out from other people who own this vehicle.

I don't want to talk to the dealer about this, as they have not been helpful. When I have demonstrated the behavior to them in the past, they usually agree that it's unusual, but they don't know what it is, and eventually I get told that that is just how it's designed, don't worry about it. When you pay some $30k for a car, that answer is not good enough.

So to hydro and bbf2530 and anyone else who reads this, I ask respectfully, does the Ford Edge that you drive exhibit an unnatural 200-500 rpm jump when the transmission shifts from the 4th to 5th gear, or during any gear change?

If everyone replies, yes, this is exactly what I see, then I would be somewhat relieved, and would let the issue go. If I start seeing the "

" replies, then I will continue to think my Edge is broken or somehow different, and I would want to continue to find out why.

My 08 also had the sound you are talking about with the suspension. Wound up being a loose nut - they had to test drive it 3 times to find it. Was no big deal - fixed under warranty. I'd post more of a description, but I keep the paperwork in the car and the wife has it at work. Maybe that can help the dealer with somplace to start looking.

• 2 weeks later...
First, I'll say that I appreciate the timely responses from hydro and bbf2530. I did do some searching prior to writing my post, and I will note that there are a number of postings that talk about transmission issues, some related to transmission slippage, but so far I have found only one posting that accurately described the RPM jump in the transmission that I noticed:

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/index.php?sho...ransmission+rpm

In this posting, the original poster described accurately the behavior, a second person replied that they experienced it as well, a third person said sorry about your misfortunes, and that's as far as the discussion goes.

This RPM jump is not subtle. It is something that is noticed immediately, and is something that no other car that I have ever driven does. If it is a characteristic of the design as the dealers say it is, then I would expect every single Ford Edge to exhibit this RPM jump. I would then expect this forum (and the internet in general) to be full of postings and web pages discussing exactly what causes it, as many other people would notice it and wonder whether it is a sign that something is wrong. But this is not the case. I had to dig deep to find a single posting, and no explanation was provided. It makes me think that other people are not experiencing this behavior, that my Ford Edge is different from the other Ford Edges that are out there. And that is what I am trying to find out from other people who own this vehicle.

I don't want to talk to the dealer about this, as they have not been helpful. When I have demonstrated the behavior to them in the past, they usually agree that it's unusual, but they don't know what it is, and eventually I get told that that is just how it's designed, don't worry about it. When you pay some $30k for a car, that answer is not good enough.

So to hydro and bbf2530 and anyone else who reads this, I ask respectfully, does the Ford Edge that you drive exhibit an unnatural 200-500 rpm jump when the transmission shifts from the 4th to 5th gear, or during any gear change?

If everyone replies, yes, this is exactly what I see, then I would be somewhat relieved, and would let the issue go. If I start seeing the "

" replies, then I will continue to think my Edge is broken or somehow different, and I would want to continue to find out why.

i have not had the pinging or the popping noise, but my transmission has had a leak problem that has been (repaired) twice now and told that the seal would have to be ordered once, only to never hear from the dealer again. it also shifts gears rapidly from high to low to high again after coming to a stop and accelerating back into traffic. not every time but enuff for me to question it. by the way my ford is the 2007 sel awd. i know this doesnt help you but maybe someone has the answer for me and these problems.

An engine should never "ping" aka detonation. Every once in awhile is not normal. Detonation is detremental to an engine. These cars require 87 not 93.....if your are detonating on 93, something seriously is wrong. Have the dealer check the timing.

Hi BlazedUp. :D Since I am the only one who mentioned Ford specifically states that a little pinging once in a while can be considered normal, I assume you were referring to what I wrote.

Just as a point of reference, this is directly copied and pasted from the Owners Manual:

Do not be concerned if your engine sometimes knocks lightly. However, if

it knocks heavily under most driving conditions while you are using fuel

with the recommended octane rating, see your authorized dealer to

prevent any engine damage.

So yes, while none of us want our car to do it, a bit of (as in a little) engine knocking/pinging once in a while is not a concern, as the Manual states. Of course all things are relative, and Internet diagnosis of engine sounds is impossible. So as we told esseffe in September, and you just told him now, he should not be using premium fuel and a second opinion from another Dealer is probably a good idea. Hopefully he has done that by now if he was still concerned.

Hope this makes the information I posted a bit less confusing.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

• 8 months later...

I have an 07 Edge SEL with the same problem. The tranny seems to "hang" before shifting into a higher gear, yes 4th to 5th and 5th to 6th. In addition, it "moans" as it's doing it. I'm taking it in to the dealer shortly with a long list of items that need attention.

• 3 weeks later...

I know it has been a while since you posted your original message but I am experiencing the same issue with shifting. It happens exactly the way you have explained. My Edge is an '08 Limited AWD with roughly 25,000 miles. I just bought it a week ago.

• 2 years later...

I'm having trouble with my RPM's jumping also, took it to the dealership they said they could find anything wrong but add some up dates. i was hoping this would fix the problem but it did not it only made it worse :( Has anyone had any luck in getting this problem fixed?