Turn off all interior lights

Ok, I was at a UCLA football game. Tailgating. I opened up the back hatch set up the TV and started watching a football game. Typical tailgate stuff.

I notice that the rear cargo light on the driver's side wall behind the rear seat is on. This isn't good. After 5 hours of tailgating I might weaken the battery. I try to find a way to turn it off. Typically, most cars have a dial next to the headlight switches to dial down and turn off interior lights. I find it. I scroll it completely down. It has no effect on the rear cargo light.

I pull out the owner's manual. It says the cargo light is on all the time when the rear gate is open. Pah. That can't be right. Yet I can't figure out how to turn the light off.

Surely there's a way to do this. Am I the only one that tailgates with an Edge?

What's the solution, short of taking out the bulb?

Ok, I was at a UCLA football game. Tailgating. I opened up the back hatch set up the TV and started watching a football game. Typical tailgate stuff.

I notice that the rear cargo light on the driver's side wall behind the rear seat is on. This isn't good. After 5 hours of tailgating I might weaken the battery. I try to find a way to turn it off. Typically, most cars have a dial next to the headlight switches to dial down and turn off interior lights. I find it. I scroll it completely down. It has no effect on the rear cargo light.

I pull out the owner's manual. It says the cargo light is on all the time when the rear gate is open. Pah. That can't be right. Yet I can't figure out how to turn the light off.

Surely there's a way to do this. Am I the only one that tailgates with an Edge?

What's the solution, short of taking out the bulb?

Have you tried leaving it on for more than 10 minutes? Typically the battery saver kicks in and shuts off the interior lights if they're left on but I haven't tested it with the rear hatch.

Thanks for the link. That helps a lot!

I go to star parties and sleep in the back. Open a door and the puddle lights go on, interior lights, bloody light show - very very bad at a star party when all the eyes are dark adapted. Ruins their vision for the faint fuzzies. So I pull the relevent fuses (9 thru 12 I think - have to look it up each time) and reinstall in the morning.

It would be nice if Ford had an Astro mode (we can't be the only hobby where lights going on would be a bad thing) and have place to activate it. I bet most are software driven and it would be a simple fix.

odd thread, I have an 07 SE and all the interior lights go off after 10 minutes or it may be 5 not sure. I had all doors and the hatch open and after they went off you had to shut and open a door to get them to come back on. I like it this way, but was kind of annoying vacuuming after dark.

just looked at the other thread said the key was on. I'll have to test that. i suppose you could trip the hatch latch with a pencil or something as if it is shutting just remember to unlock it.

Edited by bmitchell4

I go to star parties and sleep in the back. Open a door and the puddle lights go on, interior lights, bloody light show - very very bad at a star party when all the eyes are dark adapted. Ruins their vision for the faint fuzzies. So I pull the relevent fuses (9 thru 12 I think - have to look it up each time) and reinstall in the morning.

It would be nice if Ford had an Astro mode (we can't be the only hobby where lights going on would be a bad thing) and have place to activate it. I bet most are software driven and it would be a simple fix.

make a switch like mine and call it the "Astro mode switch".... ;)

• 2 weeks later...
make a switch like mine and call it the "Astro mode switch".... ;)

Interesting solution. I need to look at that one a bit closer. For all the fuses I need to pull a secondary fuse bank on a switch would be the ticket.

I only do this about twice a year so I'm not too motivated to fab up something. Certainly not as often as you get to get out.

• 11 years later...