Oil Filter Leak - Never seen this before

Goldy

My wife's 2009 Edge, w/ 49xx miles on it, was leaking oil from I'll guess the oil filter gasket, or maybe from the filter itself (where the base of the oil filter is crimped to the cylindracle part of the filter?). The filter was tight...definitely not loose. I've never seen this before...wasn't sure if it was just a problem w/ the particular filter I had, or if it's more common. In my other cars, I use Mobil 1 filters and never had a problem, but can't find a Mobil 1 version of the FL500S. (Yes, apparently, her 2009 is a later build, and takes the FL-500S.)

I replaced the filter this evening, no leaks...not yet anyway. Has anyone else experienced this?

My wife's 2009 Edge, w/ 49xx miles on it, was leaking oil from I'll guess the oil filter gasket, or maybe from the filter itself (where the base of the oil filter is crimped to the cylindracle part of the filter?). The filter was tight...definitely not loose. I've never seen this before...wasn't sure if it was just a problem w/ the particular filter I had, or if it's more common. In my other cars, I use Mobil 1 filters and never had a problem, but can't find a Mobil 1 version of the FL500S. (Yes, apparently, her 2009 is a later build, and takes the FL-500S.)

I replaced the filter this evening, no leaks...not yet anyway. Has anyone else experienced this?

Sure, on other vehicles. All it takes is dirt or trash around the gasket (or the gasket itself could have been bad). As long as a new filter fixed it I wouldn't worry about it.

agree with akirby - wouldn't worry about it much. normally, you put some oil around the lip to make a seal and a little more than hand tight and you should be good.

If you change your own oil, make sure the surface where the gasket fits is clean. Sometimes a piece of the old gasket or other trash gets left there.

Thx for the thoughts...I always change my own oil...always clean everything (particularly, wipe down the oil filter mounting surface), put a film of oil on the oil filter gasket, ...heck... it's almost a sterile environment when I change the oil :yup: (garage door closed...no dust).

I think the leak came from the filter itself, but was hard to tell. Anyway, no leaks now...maybe this was an isolated incident.

Goldy,I found the FL 500 at parts authority in my area(NY) and paid wholesale $6.25,Check Walmart oil prices are $20 for 5 qts of Penzoil Platnimum Synthetic and the will be getting the Fl 500 shortly,It's a new Item ,Marty

Depiry, thx for the heads-up. Here in Indy, we don't have a 'parts authority', but no shortage of Wal-Marts. I'll be looking for them. Thx.

Goldy,What was the build date? The change over from the FL400 to the FL500 was 01/16/2009, my 2010 build date was 06/09,Marty

Also check your owners manual for filter application number,400/500.

Don't know the build date right off, but it takes the FL500S...I know it's one of the later 2009's made.

• 4 weeks later...
If you change your own oil, make sure the surface where the gasket fits is clean. Sometimes a piece of the old gasket or other trash gets left there.

I've made the mistake (much earlier in my driving experience) of not noticing the gasket from the old filter had stayed on and put the new filter on over top of it. Needless to say that involved an additional trip to the store in another vehicle to buy lots of shop rags, floor-dry, and more oil.

MIne takes the FL500 which was re-designed.....it is slightly shorter and smaller. What does the "S" mean and why was it changed? I have a 2008.

I have an 09 built 04/09 and it takes the 500. I really thought it was an 09 thing,but I guess not if you have one on an 08. The first time I changed the oil, I checked the owners manual for the filter requirement, it said FL 400 S. I went and bought it and the oil, got the car on the rack, drained the oil, removed the filter {which had no number on it}, primed the new filter, tried to screw it on and--well you can guess the rest of the story. It would have been nice if the owners manual could have been edited to show this change.

I believe the all have the anti-drainback silicone valve. I was mistaken, mine takes the FL-400 sorry about the mispost guys. I have no clue why Ford would spend extra money to change the design configuration of the oil filter . Why the heck would they not just leave it alone......Ford is known for quirks like this.