COOLANT LOSS

NEW2EDGE

I hope I'm just over reacting, but when I went to check do a quick check of my fluid levels last weekend I noticed that my coolant level was showing a decline for the first time since purchasing my Edge Sept. 2008. I have put about 35K miles on it in the 13 months. We are not talking a huge drop

but from the "level" it should be cold, the resevoir is down about 2 inches. Is this normal? Has anyone experienced leaks in the coolant system? I have not seen any drips under the engine or detected a smell of coolant evaporating off the engine.

Its going in for oil/filter etc... later this week and wouldn't mind a heads up on possible coolant/leak issues.

I hope I'm just over reacting, but when I went to check do a quick check of my fluid levels last weekend I noticed that my coolant level was showing a decline for the first time since purchasing my Edge Sept. 2008. I have put about 35K miles on it in the 13 months. We are not talking a huge drop

but from the "level" it should be cold, the resevoir is down about 2 inches. Is this normal? Has anyone experienced leaks in the coolant system? I have not seen any drips under the engine or detected a smell of coolant evaporating off the engine.

Its going in for oil/filter etc... later this week and wouldn't mind a heads up on possible coolant/leak issues.

I wouldn't be too concerned unless there are other symptoms. Top it off and keep an eye on it.

I think he's referring to the "COLD" level mark on the reservoir.

Sorry, I thought I had mentioned that it is down from the cold level mark. I check my fluid levels about every 2500 miles and this is the fist time I noticed that there was a drop. I also checked to see if any was added during the regular service visits to my dealer. Unless they added it for free it looks like the resevoir wasn't topped up and the box was check marked indicating it was inspected and ok.

So now I'm getting a little worried, no puddle underneath, no visible leaks, no hot antifreeze smell and most importantly no antifreeze froth on the oil dip stick. Where is it going? I am hoping it maybe the result of towing my boat and the engine maybe running a tad hotter resulting in evaporation.

Note: The Edge is equipped with the factory tow package.

I also checked again and its down just a tad more that an inch from the cold level mark. My estimate was off.

Next service this Friday. I'll keep everyone posted

Sorry, I thought I had mentioned that it is down from the cold level mark. I check my fluid levels about every 2500 miles and this is the fist time I noticed that there was a drop. I also checked to see if any was added during the regular service visits to my dealer. Unless they added it for free it looks like the resevoir wasn't topped up and the box was check marked indicating it was inspected and ok.

So now I'm getting a little worried, no puddle underneath, no visible leaks, no hot antifreeze smell and most importantly no antifreeze froth on the oil dip stick. Where is it going? I am hoping it maybe the result of towing my boat and the engine maybe running a tad hotter resulting in evaporation.

Note: The Edge is equipped with the factory tow package.

I also checked again and its down just a tad more that an inch from the cold level mark. My estimate was off.

Next service this Friday. I'll keep everyone posted

K...do you think your coolant over cap may be leaking...or I should say not sealing 100% (maybe not closed all the way)? If so, perhaps some of the coolant has evaporated??? I'm kind a pulling straws here...if the oil level looks ok (hasn't gone up, or doesn't look 'milky') and can't smell or see coolant leaking, I'll guess the cap would be the only other place you could loose it...

Good luck...

A slight loss of water from your coolant mix is a normal thing. That's why they put the line on the reservoir jug. Towing a boat will certainly put a little more heat in the system and could well be the cause. Whatever it is, and a slight as it is, I wouldn't be too concerned as long as it's just a small amount and there is no sign of a leak. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry about the delay updating after having my Edge services but work tied me up.

Here goes:

- the loss or drop in coolant was not caused by leakage, so it had to be evaporation. This I assume would be considered normal.

- I also had them check the PTU for leakage as it was serviced 25K miles ago, everything was dry.

I basically had them do a once over in detail from inspecting the engine, trans, suspension etc... including checking the wheel balance when they rotated the tires as I drive about 32K miles a year.

The mileage is probably 70% highway and I tow my boat (launch and pull out) just about every weekend.

The final report "no problems" found.

My 2008 Edge Limited AWD seems to be running better and smoother now then when I first got it.

Other than some minor warranty work, no problems. Best vechicle we have had in a long time.

Oh yea, the plastic chrome rims are discolouring, don't care after using them in the snow this winter I am replacing the rims with true "custom" rims and the plastic ones will be used for snow.

Peter