Most Miles on Edge

garyedwardsmith

I was wondering who has the most miles on their Edge?

I am concerned about the longevity of these vehicles.

Has this motor been around for awhile in other vehicles?

Gary

I have less than 1,000 miles on my 08 Limited and I have had it for 9 months. It will fall apart from lack of use, LOL!

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Hi Everyone!

If the Ford Edge is this reliable, why are the Car Magazines and reviews harsh on the Edge?

Please let someone answer. I have a 2009 Silver Ford Edge AWD with 12000 Kms with no problems at all!

The medi has for the past couple of years bashed, doom and gloomed EVERYTHING :finger: .

They aren’t picking on the Edge just selling newspapers :redcard: .

ab

Hi Everyone!

If the Ford Edge is this reliable, why are the Car Magazines and reviews harsh on the Edge?

Please let someone answer. I have a 2009 Silver Ford Edge AWD with 12000 Kms with no problems at all!

There have been a few problem areas, but to Ford's defense they are addressing them best they can:

1. The AWD versions have a PTU seal leak issue, does not affect all, but those with it have dealt with numerous repairs. It seems to be leaking only in real cold weather. Jury still out whether the latest seal redesign is fixing the problem.

2. There is an issue with heater cores that were defective and cause plugging up, Ford recently extended the warranty coverage. The corrective action is a system flush and heater core replacement. Should not have any recurrence once fixed.

3. There was a problem with mis-machined rear wheel bearing carriers on 07-08 models, which causes the bearings to go out. Once replaced the problem seems to be fixed with no recurrence.

4. The chrome clad wheels have a creaking noise issue, many have gotten replacement wheels and still have the problem. It is worse in hot weather between the expansion differences between the steel wheel and the chromed plastic cover. No real fix in place yet.

5. There were defective cam position sensors in some engines, once replaced the problem seems to be fixed.

Drivetrain-wise, the same engine is used in many Ford models. The Edge AWD system is shared with the Taurus and Flex. The basic 6-speed auto trans is a joint design with GM. I do not feel there is any real bad long-term reliability issue to be concerned about, once you get the PTU seal, wheel bearing, heater core and cam sensor problems fixed if you have them.

Some of the problems are from machining or production/assembly errors, those should have been caught. Ford needs to stand behind their product and fix these issues. Some problems are actively being worked on and a final corrective action is still TBD. At least Frod is working on these and give them credit for dealing with it and not ignoring it.

All that said, my 08 awd has 35K miles to answer the original post question. I plan to put many more miles on it, I keep my vehicles for many years.

• 2 weeks later...
I was wondering who has the most miles on their Edge?

I am concerned about the longevity of these vehicles.

Has this motor been around for awhile in other vehicles?

:shades:

Gary

I have 72,500 Km on my 2008 Edge Limited AWD. It has been perfect. At the time I ordered it, Ford still owned Aston Martin so I had to have the 007 inspired Vapour Silver. I was trying to convince my sons that that dash and instruments took their design cues from the DB8 but they were dubious. I have had it for 26 months and I will be getting new tires next month. I love it, especially with the Sirius tuned to the Underground Garage and cruisin' at 130 kph.

I have 72,500 Km on my 2008 Edge Limited AWD. It has been perfect. At the time I ordered it, Ford still owned Aston Martin so I had to have the 007 inspired Vapour Silver. I was trying to convince my sons that that dash and instruments took their design cues from the DB8 but they were dubious. I have had it for 26 months and I will be getting new tires next month. I love it, especially with the Sirius tuned to the Underground Garage and cruisin' at 130 kph.

Did you have any problems with the PTU? I think my 09 is occasionally dripping on the muffler. Some time we smell burning, but not sure if it's from the cars passing by. This site got me all paranoid, so everytime we smell something we think it's the PTU.