Full-size spare

end

Does anyone know if a stock wheel and tire (18 or 20 inch) will fit in the storage well for the spare?

The press releases for the 2009 and up MKX say that it comes with a full-size spare. Does anyone know if this is the exact same wheel/tire as the other four the vehicle rides on?

• Like 1

Go measure how wide YOUR wheel is

then go measure how DEEP your spare well is.

I have a question.

I have friend who is always griping about space saver spares, I don’t ask why.

Why do you want a full size spare?

I find them a PAIN.

Example:

The tires on my F250 are 9/10 gone.

I ran over a piece of scrap metal and had to put the “new” spare on the ground.

Now I have 1 (3 yr old) “new” and 3 9/10 wore out tires.

I don’t want to buy 3 NEW OEM tires this winter, because I would have 1 new/old and 3 NEW that I don’t really like anyway.

ab

My Blazer had a spare identical to the four wheels/tires on the truck. I had three flats while I had the truck, but always fixed them right away and put the spare back. To me what it looks like does not matter, as long as it works when I need it. :) And a stock wheel/tire would be SO heavy to get out of the back too. Aren't spares designed so people can manage them?

My Blazer had a spare identical to the four wheels/tires on the truck. I had three flats while I had the truck, but always fixed them right away and put the spare back. To me what it looks like does not matter, as long as it works when I need it. :) And a stock wheel/tire would be SO heavy to get out of the back too. Aren't spares designed so people can manage them?

Hmm interesting... the whole reason I was going to do this was so I wouldn't have to fix it right away. And the heavy part I didn't consider either. I don't really care what it looks like either, but I don't like having to tip toe around on the spare. Good posts! thanks

• 1 year later...

The spare tires that come with cars/trucks now are just temporary. They get you from point a to b and that is it. They are not intended to be used for a long period of time. Their use is to get you home or to a shop so you can put the main wheel and rim back on. They are also only rated to go no more than 45mph on most of them. I would rather have a full size spare for piece of mind if I am traveling on a highway.

The spare tires that come with cars/trucks now are just temporary. They get you from point a to b and that is it. They are not intended to be used for a long period of time. Their use is to get you home or to a shop so you can put the main wheel and rim back on. They are also only rated to go no more than 45mph on most of them. I would rather have a full size spare for piece of mind if I am traveling on a highway.

We used our space saver this summer.

I can’t even remember the last time I used a space saver, maybe 20+ years ago.

BUT this use wasn’t caused by a damaged tire, the rim was cracked plus we were 70 miles from the closest town.

70 miles @ 45 MPH DOSE take a long time, but the mountan scenery was BEAUTIFUL!

My point is, I almost don’t even see a reason for the space saver, we have road side assistance on our insurance.

ab

• 4 years later...

I just purchased a new 2014 Edge SE V6, will pick it up from the dealer tomorrow. Ford has some great incentives on new 2014's that are still in stock. The dealer was kind enough to allow me to wait until Friday to pick it up, saves me and additional $1000 (Memorial Day Sales Special).

Anyway, about the spare tire. I dislike those temporary spare tires. It's not so bad if I had to use one in town (I live in the L.A. area), but if I'm on the road or on vacation, I do not want the hassle of trying to find a place to buy a new tire, especially if the blowout occurs inroute to or from Las Vegas or Lake Tahoe, when you are in the middle of nowhere.

In February I purchased a 2015 Mustang. These things don't even have a temp spare, just a little pump, totally useless if the tire blows out. I purchased a new wheel from the dealer and a new full size tire. Now I have 5 tires and wheels that are the same (I'm old school). I did the same thing with a 2011 Mustang I had. From my experience with my 2011 and the 2015 Mustangs, the full size tire fits perfectly inside the wheel well, however, the section width of the tire will be higher than the stock trunk floor. This was never an issue with me with my Mustangs, despite a fairly small trunk, and I know it will not be an issue with my new Edge.

So, the floor in the back won't be entirely flat, is that really an issue for people? It's not for me, that's for sure. Life is full of compromises, and I would much rather have the piece of mind of knowing that I will be on my way with no worries if I am unfortunate enough to have a blow out, than I am about having a flat floor in the trunk (or rear area).