TPS - Tire Pressure Sensor - New Winter Tires

MrBeer

OK, I just put new Winter Tires on the Ford Edge, I bought the Ford 18" Rims from the SE Model and some Toyo GO-2 Observe Open-Country Winter Tires. I check all the tires for pressure and they are all OK - 35lbs.

After driving the TPS light came on. Did I forget something?

Scott

OK, I just put new Winter Tires on the Ford Edge, I bought the Ford 18" Rims from the SE Model and some Toyo GO-2 Observe Open-Country Winter Tires. I check all the tires for pressure and they are all OK - 35lbs.

Scott

Here is a clue - how do you think the car knows when the tire pressure is low?

(you forgot to add new tpms sensors to each wheel and train them to the car)

Scott

Scott,

I put the same winter tires on my MKX and made the decision to not put the sensors on the rims (actually the suggestion of the tire store since it would have added about $400 to the cost of the rims and tires). All you have to do is hit the reset button every so often and put up with the idiot light until you take the winter tires off. It's a lot cheaper than putting on the sensors. You should really be checking the tire pressure regularly with a tire gauge anyway and not rely only on the TPS.

Scott,

I put the same winter tires on my MKX and made the decision to not put the sensors on the rims (actually the suggestion of the tire store since it would have added about $400 to the cost of the rims and tires). All you have to do is hit the reset button every so often and put up with the idiot light until you take the winter tires off. It's a lot cheaper than putting on the sensors. You should really be checking the tire pressure regularly with a tire gauge anyway and not rely only on the TPS.

Sorry but i'd rather spend the extra money then be annoyed with the warning light.

I am surprised if the sensor were not there that they did not say anything when they mounted the tires. Did the rim still have the steel bands and clips for the sensors? I got my sensors and the tool off of Ebay. You might get the tool and see it if will reset the computer. Maybe the sensors are there and just need to be reset. When I installed the winter rims and tires, the tire shop reset the sensors but it went out after about 15 miles. When I got home I moved the summer tires to another building and reset the sensors and they worked fine for the rest of the winter.

• 4 weeks later...
Scott,

Likewise. Up here in the GWN I was quoted Can$1000 for all four wheels

• 5 months later...

I bought a set of TPMS off ebay $85 shipped to my door

ther are places with adjustable band for the sensors. I bought from tpmstrader (ebay name)

same revolutionsupply

or

go with the Valve stem type they make them for ford now

search ebay and http://www.revolutionsupply.com/products.aspx

GL

Edited by Picturepro

• 1 month later...

I bought a set of TPMS off ebay $85 shipped to my door

ther are places with adjustable band for the sensors. I bought from tpmstrader (ebay name)

same revolutionsupply

or

go with the Valve stem type they make them for ford now

search ebay and http://www.revolutionsupply.com/products.aspx

GL

Strap type, and valve stem type are not interchangeable. They run on a different frequency.

• 1 month later...

OK here is where I'm at...

The summer tires on the Edge are 22" and of course have the factory installed TPS.

I have 18" Rims (the SE model rims), with TPS installed for use in the winter.

Due to the different rim sizes the TPS will not automatically work. The Edge needs to "learn" the new TPS sensors on the new rims.

I have bought a Tire Pressure Learning Tool. (TPMS-19-8C2Z-1A203-A) $35 from the Ford Parts desk.

Now I'm looking to find the Proceedure to have the Edge "learn" the new TPS sensor on the winter rims. Can anyone provide some instructions?

Scott

OK here is where I'm at...

The summer tires on the Edge are 22" and of course have the factory installed TPS.

I have 18" Rims (the SE model rims), with TPS installed for use in the winter.

Due to the different rim sizes the TPS will not automatically work. The Edge needs to "learn" the new TPS sensors on the new rims.

I have bought a Tire Pressure Learning Tool. (TPMS-19-8C2Z-1A203-A) $35 from the Ford Parts desk.

Now I'm looking to find the Proceedure to have the Edge "learn" the new TPS sensor on the winter rims. Can anyone provide some instructions?

Scott

Try THIS or THIS

Edited by akirby