Clunk noise on acceleration

Sharonb

New 2010 Edge with less than 1000 km on it started to have a heavy 'clunk' noise when accelerating. Ran smoothly after initial acceleration. Returned it to the dealer where they spent over 5000 labour dollars on it with no result. Noise remained. They replaced the differential twice, checked all the sensors and still no result. It has been at the dealer now for two weeks. After sitting on the lot last weekend, the mechanic drove the car and the 'clunk' was gone. He reported that this was not an indication that it was fixed, just that the issue could be intermittent.

Has anyone else had this problem and what was the solution?

At this point, we are demanding a replacement Edge.

New 2010 Edge with less than 1000 km on it started to have a heavy 'clunk' noise when accelerating. Ran smoothly after initial acceleration. Returned it to the dealer where they spent over 5000 labour dollars on it with no result. Noise remained. They replaced the differential twice, checked all the sensors and still no result. It has been at the dealer now for two weeks. After sitting on the lot last weekend, the mechanic drove the car and the 'clunk' was gone. He reported that this was not an indication that it was fixed, just that the issue could be intermittent.

See my post here. Have not brought it into dealer yet.

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/index.php?sho...amp;#entry32533

I have an 08 Edge AWD with identical problem. "Clunk" happens intermittently after accelaeration from stop. I can feel it in the seat of my pants which leads me to believe that the issue is occurring in the rear differential (AWD). I have had it to the delaership twice. The first time they just reprogrammed the transmission, which did nothing. The second time.......problem can not be duplicated. They are searching bulletins now within the Ford system.

• 4 months later...

I was wondering if anybody found anything out about this, mine is doing the same thing.

When I accelerate from a stop or after slowing down, about every 3 times I feel and hear a "clunk". I thought it might be an engine mount but after looking around online it might be the transmission. Mine seems to be coming from the front and from left of center.

Its a huge PITA to go to the dealer and I was hoping to find some info online before I did.

Good luck looking for someone to post a follow up reply to their initial concern. Seems as most people come here looking for answers, post, don't find the answer they are loking for an leave after their car is repaired at the dealer without posting a follow up. This has to be the most disfunctional forum that I have ever seen.

I was wondering if anybody found anything out about this, mine is doing the same thing.

When I accelerate from a stop or after slowing down, about every 3 times I feel and hear a "clunk". I thought it might be an engine mount but after looking around online it might be the transmission. Mine seems to be coming from the front and from left of center.

Its a huge PITA to go to the dealer and I was hoping to find some info online before I did.

I'm having the same issue....does it feel like you are on a patch of ice, can see the rpms increasing, then all the sudden it jerks?? Happens when I'm at 10mph or under/rolling stops/coming to a red light, it turns green and this happens. I had other transmission problems earlier this year. I'm taking it into the dealer tomorrow to try to replicate this for them. I'm about to demand a new transmission.

• Like 1

No, mine feels more like something along the lines of a motor mount. When you take off from a dead stop or a very slow coast, it feels like something was loose or something. The transmission is fine. Actually it stopped yesterday. Im hoping it fixed itself.

I'm having the same issue....does it feel like you are on a patch of ice, can see the rpms increasing, then all the sudden it jerks?? Happens when I'm at 10mph or under/rolling stops/coming to a red light, it turns green and this happens. I had other transmission problems earlier this year. I'm taking it into the dealer tomorrow to try to replicate this for them. I'm about to demand a new transmission.

Funny...I just bought a new 2010 Ford Edge as well and only have ~1,900 km on it and noticed last week the very same noise. I've read a number of posts today and noticed that the 'clunk' noise happens when the trany is shifting from 1st to 2nd within the first 2-3 seconds of accelerating .

I plan on bringing it to the dealership this week at some, but if you happen to find out more as to why this is happening, please let me know.

Cheers

Please report back what your dealer says. Its a hassle for me to get mine down there as my wife works fulltime also so I keep putting it off. Plus from everything Ive read, they wind up keeping the car for 3 weeks, changing out the entire front suspension and still cant find a fix. LOL!

Im thinking of just driving it until something finally snaps into so they'll know for sure what it is. ;)

• 3 years later...

I guess these are all old posts but I thought I'd try to get a response on what appears to be the same issue that others posted on. I bought my used 2010 Ford Edge Limited a little over a year ago and within the first few months noticed this similar problem has happened about 6-10 times since I've owned the vehicle. Most recently, while pulling out into traffic and accelerating (not too quickly), the transmission (clearly) feels and sounds as if it's going to drop literally onto the ground. Another description would be it feels as if I'm being rear-ended. This isn't a small sound or bump. It's extremely noticeable and very frightening. Although the vehicle doesn't come to a complete stop, I am able to keep the vehicle moving it's as if the transmission is having great difficulty changing gears. Of course it happens so rapidly that I'm unable to check the RPM's. I have plans to take it to the dealer but since it doesn't happen every time I'm afraid they won't be able to replicate the problem. I have an extended warranty although I believe the transmission is covered up to 100,000 miles, no? If anyone has any information regarding this issue, I'd really appreciate it.

I guess these are all old posts but I thought I'd try to get a response on what appears to be the same issue that others posted on. I bought my used 2010 Ford Edge Limited a little over a year ago and within the first few months noticed this similar problem has happened about 6-10 times since I've owned the vehicle. Most recently, while pulling out into traffic and accelerating (not too quickly), the transmission (clearly) feels and sounds as if it's going to drop literally onto the ground. Another description would be it feels as if I'm being rear-ended. This isn't a small sound or bump. It's extremely noticeable and very frightening. Although the vehicle doesn't come to a complete stop, I am able to keep the vehicle moving it's as if the transmission is having great difficulty changing gears. Of course it happens so rapidly that I'm unable to check the RPM's. I have plans to take it to the dealer but since it doesn't happen every time I'm afraid they won't be able to replicate the problem. I have an extended warranty although I believe the transmission is covered up to 100,000 miles, no? If anyone has any information regarding this issue, I'd really appreciate it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...